Bagging your own groceries

Andy from Kent

. Y goodness, is this what keeps you awake at night? And how are others copibg with this odious task of bagging shopping items at checkoout. Well, there's only two options. The shop does it, or u do. Easy as. So just get on with it and save us answering such a dumb question. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tlock said:

Yeah I find this annoying as well.  Foodland is good about bagging, they usually have an extra bagger at each checkout.  At Big C Extra I just refuse to pay until I've finished bagging my groceries, they usually chip in and help after a minute or so, heh.

You wouldn’t get away with that in Aldis or Lidl’s in Blighty, your groceries would be launched off the end of the conveyor belt faster than a rocket ???? whilst you scurry to pick your broken eggs up from the floor yourself and whilst everyone in the queue looks at you with disdain and disgust..

..And yes that is one of the reasons I moved to Thailand.

????

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

They are touching items, packages, cash, coins all day.

Many are wearing gloves.  It sure protects them but some of the gloves I have seen have filthy dirty stains on the fingers.  I would rather they touch as little of my stuff as possible. 

In fact Makro is good they can scan items in your cart without touching them if arranged properly.

Then put in your car or bag yourself from the cart.

I always put them on the conveyor barcode side up, some are so stupid they still turn it  round trying to find it.????

9 minutes ago, bodga said:

I always put them on the conveyor barcode side up, some are so stupid they still turn it  round trying to find it.????

Not sure where you shop, but I have not seen a supermarket yet in Thailand where the conveyor on which you put your goods, and the end where you pick them up, are connected.

So regardless of how you put your goods on that belt, the cashier always has to pick them up to get them to the other end.

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NightSky said:

It’s people like you who should pay the extortionate 3 baht for the bags so that the rest of us responsible people who have memories longer than a gold fish don’t have to wait for people like you holding up the queue. 

????

We usually do large shoppings - family of 4....Big enough to fill  in a big yard cart to take it around the house to the rear kitchen.....

When I'm out & about I get the "can you" phone calls; then make the store dash.....

The bags are kept to use for a car bin - but have usually come in handy if needed.....Don't know which of us put the small one in.....

• Like 1

from my experience it is simple: just put the bag you brought from home or a purchased bag together with your items on the counter, don't attempt to bag your groceries yourself and they will pack it for you.

works fine in BigC. At family mart they sell cheap bags and pack them for you and at 7/11 just ask for a bag and you will get one.

no big deal

thaisabai

3 minutes ago, Toscano said:

Bagging one's shopping at the cash desk is very slow and can cause a hold up of other shoppers behind you . I find it best to put all the shopping straight in the trolley and bag it afterwards . 

I trolley al mine and then out in the carpark put it into the 50lt storage containers that I put in the pickup when its grocery shopping day.

why are there still so many issues with this? the uk brought their plastic bag reduction initiative in years ago; people take their own bags, if they forget they can purchase a bag/s - any profits from this going to charity. the cashier asks if you want help packing your bags and calls someone if necessary, however i rarely see anyone needing help putting their shopping in bags.

my mother is 83 and she an her friends have no problems with any of this, i dont understand why so many people here have had, and seemingly still have, issues with something so easy to deal with...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The last time I visited Sydney which was about five years ago one of the supermarkets we used had the majority of check out counters totally self service, you had to scan the items, bag them and sort out the payment yourself.

Fortunately it doesn’t seem to have reached that stage here.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 4:35 PM, pgrahmm said:

I have a terrible time with this = I forget to take in the

*@&#¥%-ing bags about 70% of the time....We keep them right in the car in the drivers door pocket.....

If it's a cart it's easy, just roll it to the car....But using the hand basket I usually forget....

Last time out I grabbed a folded bag & stuck it in my pocket - finally, success = except, it turned out to be the smallest bag in the car - held about 1/3 of what I needed to carry out.....

Wow, life is tough, it's the end...

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2020 at 1:40 PM, bkk6060 said:

They are touching items, packages, cash, coins all day.

Many are wearing gloves.  It sure protects them but some of the gloves I have seen have filthy dirty stains on the fingers.  I would rather they touch as little of my stuff as possible. 

In fact Makro is good they can scan items in your cart without touching them if arranged properly.

Then put in your car or bag yourself from the cart.

This so much especially at Tesco I go soon as they open if you go towards the end of the day most of the gloves on the operators hands are dark black....SO DISGUSTING!!

On 5/23/2020 at 1:22 PM, Henryford said:

Must be tough to put things in your bag. How do you manage to get them out at home?

I hand over my bag and they happily bag my items. Several stores still have plastic bags and why wouldn't they bag my items? You can be Mr Nice Guy if you want, but I didn't ask for the plastic bag ban. 

On 5/23/2020 at 7:25 AM, Andy from Kent said:

Do you do anything to encourage the shop to continue with bagging your things? 

No, I accept the conditions to bring my own bag(s), or whatever needed to carry my goods...????

Filling your bag as a customer service? Cannot remember when that last happened in the UK, in a supermarket, probably 30 or more years ago...... Maybe happen in a corner shop.

Actually someone mentioned the poor ergonomic design of most Thai checkouts. In the UK, all supermarkets have a slide at the end of the belt and a small packing area. All the cashier has to do is scan the item and push it on to the slide. That is how they manage to serve two customers in UK to one in Thailand!

Now of course self service checkouts are slowly taking over in the UK - some shops no longer have any manual checkouts.

• Like 1

I prefer to bag it myself, as already said, cold items separate, etc, what has made me laugh out loud to staff in 7/11 and tell them ''you bah'' is when they put a 'waved' meal in with yogurt, chocolate, milk, or even ice cream.