Diesel Engine Knock in Reverse Gear

I have a 2005 Toyota Fortuner 3.0L diesel intercooler turbo.  

It's 15 years old with over 200,000km so anything can happen to it but it has been well maintained since new and so far devoid of any serious mechanical issues.  Recently it has started to exhibit phenomenon I can only describe as knocking, most of the time while backing in reverse gear.  Pretty noticeable engine vibration like when your car is in high gear at low speed.  I also sometimes feel the engine vibration in idle more pronounced than it used to be, but never so when the car is in motion especially in cruise (except in reverse).  It doesn't always happen when backing, but when it happens it seems to happen only when reversing

I change engine oil every 5,000km, sometimes in shorter span and I only pump premium diesel and put diesel fuel additive every time I change engine oil, or at least last 4 times I changed (last 20,000km).  

What's wrong and how can I fix it?  

Edited by Nordlys

Check the  drive shaft universals and center bearing. I have had  a similar problem . The  noise was not a knock  but a  clicking sound. At  first I thought  it was  the rear drum brakes . It also only happened in reverse.

Edited by Dumbastheycome
spelling
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

had a family member with exactly the same problem on his Vios. Worn engine mountings.

What was the mileage with the VIOS and what did you do about it?  Did it happen only in reverse?  

Did you change engine mounts?  

15 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Yes and yes. High mileage but can't remember exactly.

And changing engine mount solved the problem?  How much did it cost you to do it?  Did you do it at Toyota dealer?

4 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

And changing engine mount solved the problem?  How much did it cost you to do it?  Did you do it at Toyota dealer?

Same issue with my 8 year old CRV (less than 100k on the clock). I thought it was the front wheel chafing on the bodywork, and it only happened reversing with lock out of the garage. Garage changed one engine mount (because preventive maintenance is not a local thing) which resolved the issue. I expect to go back for the other mount in a year or so.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

It wasn't my car, it was a family member's. Thai. take yours to a Toyota dealer. They will give you a diagnosis before doing the job (and a quote).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

The collective knowledge says "check anything that has rubber", UJ, centre bearing, engine mounts.

Also, why on earth are you changing your oil at 5000km? Most diesels here have service intervals of 10,000km.

...... and putting premium diesel in a Fortuner AND additive.

Oil changes at 10k + regular diesel more than good enough.

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Also, why on earth are you changing your oil at 5000km? Most diesels here have service intervals of 10,000km.

Toyota recommend 5000km if used in heavy traffic or on fast long runs. 10.K under normal ??? conditions. Well if anyone bothers to look it's in their manual TA

Edited by fredob43
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

For the disbelievers. Page 486 of the Toyota service manual. Some of the relevant KM are there.

Figures shown are for heavy traffic, high speed runs, large loads, Dusty roads +++

IMGP0010 (5).JPG

You use synthetic oil in your 2.8, and change it every 5000km.....????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy one said:

Very good thinking, have you become Thai maybe  :cheesy: 

Very funny ????  it's 15 years old,  things all over a car/truck get noisy over time doesn't mean somethings worn out just getting to be that way.

4 hours ago, transam said:

Is there any vibration felt in the ride when on the street....?

If we are talking actual engine knock, don't dismiss a faulty injector....

No, only in idle and when backing (reverse gear).  I don't feel any abnormal vibration as the rev goes up.  

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

The collective knowledge says "check anything that has rubber", UJ, centre bearing, engine mounts.

No shop ever said that to me and I thought 10,000km is for synthetic oil only, diesel or petrol.  I'll ask Toyota.  

46 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

No shop ever said that to me and I thought 10,000km is for synthetic oil only, diesel or petrol.  I'll ask Toyota.  

My old 3.0 Vigo used semi syn from factory, 10kkm oil change..

All this change at 5kkm because of dust or engine has worked hard, is for those who go up and down sand dunes in the desert, off roading using low gears, not speed bumps in Tesco's...????

• Like 2

On 5/24/2020 at 3:55 PM, Lancashirelad said:

Here's something by way of contrast, which kind of puts the 5,000km (3,100 miles) oil changes into perspective. See 2nd paragraph.

https://www.mercedes-benz-trucks.com oil change intervals

They do Condition Monitoring.  However his vehicle is 15 years old. Opinions and oils have changed since then. I would add that if you haven't been using synthetic oil...DON'T change to it now unless you want oil leaks .