Moving from Bangkok to Phuket (incl. Motorbike)

Guest 0xslyx0

Guest 0xslyx0

Hi,

1. I would like to move from BKK to Phuket. My bike and all my stuff will be sent by a small transporter from my home in bkk to Phuket (door to door) for about 6000baht. My bike was bought from an official dealer in BKK and I will take it with me to Phuket. Do I have to do anything in regarding the license plate, etc.? According to several Thais - nothing has to be done (changed). Just Move it to Phuket (they apparently did the same with their car and have never had an issue).

2. I assume my moving company is alright. However, if somebody knows a good moving company (ideally with experience) I would also be glad to get their contact details.

thanks!

Don't assume everyone is not corrupt.  Many are opportunists...size you up...and act accordingly.

Don't pay all your money upfront...make sure you give the company an incentive to make the delivery...

Pictures and detail inventory everything...take pics of pickup and delivery.

You "may" run into a problem when you try to renew your tag and registration...they may want to send you back to Bangkok since the bike was previously registered there.  A handful of baht might make the trip to Bangkok unnecessary.

This is Thailand...baht gets attention.

Good Luck!

• Sad 1

Sure, you will have to take it along for an inspection and new plates. 

Driving a car with bkk plates isn't the same as a small motorbike. 

You can register a new car anywhere in Thailand and choose bkk plates, but a motorbike is more of a local thing, and if you don't register it on arrival, and the cops see it about for a few weeks, they will stop you, and it could be very expensive. 

You don't need to do anything at all with your bike registration or plate unless you want to.  You will have no problem at all renewing the tax / compulsory insurance.  I've used bikes from Phuket in Chiang Mai and Bangkok for years without any problem whatsoever.  As long as it's taxed / insured neither the police or Dept of Land Transport are interested.  You may wish to update your driving licence with a your new address but I've never bothered until renewal in cases where I have moved.

The Thai Post office does full moves, packing, moving, unpacking household furniture and effects, m/cycles etc.

This service is only available from larger post offices, they have a good reputation for being very professional, careful, and on time etc.

About 18 months ago my son used this service to move his big bike from Chiang Mai to a site near the Rose Garden outside Pattaya. Pick up at house in CM, delivered to the nominated address near Rose Garden, about 2.5 days, 1,500Baht all documented and with receipt. 

No requests at any stage for extra 'tips'.  

Guest 0xslyx0

Thank you all for your replies! However, I have checked with several post offices in BKK and non of them said that they could pick up my stuff (door to door delivery). All of them told us that we would have to bring everything directly to the post office and pick it up from the post office at the destination. Probably things have changed, or am I doing something wrong?

You had two different answers regarding the plate. I can confirm what SooKee says. I bought my Honda Click in Bangkok and have had it in Phuket for five years. No problem with the yearly visit to the Transport Office and no problem with the police. It was the same with the old bike, bought in Bangkok, renewed tax in Pattaya and then in Phuket for three years.