Are you an Introvert in Thailand? Or an Extrovert? Do you sit at coffee houses gabbing and gobbling? Gobble Gobble!

The reason I ask is that below my window, all day today, stood young men clucking and giggling like hens laying eggs.

I am now an annoyed introvert.

I don’t suggest these topics because I enjoy doing so.

I am compelled because I am deeply disturbed.

I am disturbed by pointless noise and wasted lives, wasted lives pursuing trivial pursuits and frittering away, most frivolously, remaining days.

In my introversion, I have found that one of my all-time favorite pastimes is to sit and marvel at the intelligence of Thai myna birds flitting about and mulling over more important matters with their fine and well-feathered brethren.  And the beauty of this is that it is FREE for me.  Fortunately or unfortunately, this pass-time is available only in Thailand for free. In some other countries, people must pay for the pleasure.

Sitting by myself on my balcony, I do not need to spend my money at questionable coffee shops which do not serve premium coffee from Italy.

Come to think of it, the guys downstairs sound more like geese than hens.

Plenty of rolling laughter, ebbing and flowing, and enough gas to last for hours almost nonstop.

I suppose I might have been born an extrovert, and thus be predisposed to participation in this type of giggling, something I regard as a social affliction and nothing more than heehawing of mindless utterances that no one ever remembers by next year. Do they even know what they are talking about from one minute to the next? How could they, I wonder.

But I really cannot tolerate cocktail parties very well. After five minutes of gabbing, I just want to return to my balcony and read.  I read all sorts of stuff.  For example, this morning I spent a few hours reading the Golden Rump, which is a play that I highly recommend to all young men who have too much time on their hands. Or, maybe I just dreamed I was reading it because a Golden Rump is hard to find. One thing I am looking forward to is attending The Golden Rump Festival this July.

And I thank Goodness for making me an introvert, especially I am grateful for so many years of blessed peace and aloneness which is so superior to gas and lonesomeness.  Praise be!

I will continue to stay out of cafes and coffee houses, now that they are opening up again.

But, can you?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

I am looking forward to the time when it is safe for my wife, daughter, and I to meet with friends and family to chatter over a nice meal with a few drinks, and putting the world to rights. 

My near neighbours have already started to have friends around for drinks and BBQ most evenings, so we hear the chatter and fun. I don't begrudge it at all (doesn't affect or endanger us) but too soon for us - with me being in a fairly high risk category.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

"clucking and giggling like hens laying eggs." 

Whilst you do much the same it would seem

smiling and smirking at a screen

whilst ernestly tapping away on your keyboard all by yourself.????

So now I am the guilty party?

Well, then I do plead guilty.

3 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

I am compelled because I am deeply disturbed.

I think we gathered that by now, John :tongue:

I agree, most people can't help themselves but gossip and talk sh!t and it does irk me somewhat. However, it is my suspicion, beautiful though they are, that your beloved myna's are also talking a load of old bolllox, in their respective tongue of course. IMO, unless man or beast is discussing the vagaries of super-string theory and the brilliance of the universe (beer and beauty of the female form caveats), they are wasting oxygen.

3 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

I am disturbed by pointless noise and wasted lives, wasted lives pursuing trivial pursuits and frittering away, most frivolously, remaining days.

Unlike the worthwhile pursue of sitting by your window watching other people having fun. Personally  I find the voices in my head much more entertaining also.:crazy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

I will continue to stay out of cafes and coffee houses, now that they are opening up again.

Be honest I cannot see the point of leaving your house to go and have a coffee that you can make at home, sandwiched in between breakfast coffee and lunch coffee . So, I guess that makes me introvert

• Like 1

@JohnBarleycorn,

"... Sitting by myself on my balcony, I do not need to spend my money at questionable coffee shops which do not serve premium coffee from Italy.

Come to think of it, the guys downstairs sound more like geese than hens.

Plenty of rolling laughter, ebbing and flowing, and enough gas to last for hours almost nonstop...."

Get a hobby.  You have a balcony. Get with the program.  It's fun.  You'll be popular.

4 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

So now I am the guilty party?

Well, then I do plead guilty.

Well mate, i just opened TV  a few minutes ago, you cant beat a good laugh first thing in the morning.

Your OP certainly made me laugh.

You need to get up/ get out, there is an amazing world out there, beyond your window.... Stop cackling try it, you might like it.????????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I am looking forward to the time when it is safe for my wife, daughter, and I to meet with friends and family to chatter over a nice meal with a few drinks, and putting the world to rights. 

My near neighbours have already started to have friends around for drinks and BBQ most evenings, so we hear the chatter and fun. I don't begrudge it at all (doesn't affect or endanger us) but too soon for us - with me being in a fairly high risk category.

Sorry to hear that you are in the high risk category.

Seems many are in your same situation.

But, if not now or soon then when? 

Just saying a vaccine could be never. Even if then, probably a year before we all can get vaccinated.

Maybe have them come over and just try to keep distance and do their best to keep a mask on.

The numbers are very low here ( I know some don't believe it).  The hospitals are not full of patients and there are not 100's of funerals every day. 

Anyway, hope you can think of some ways to enjoy friends and family soon.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

Extrovert introvert, all i know that i'm numb-vert, you start your life in this country as an a extrovert and slowly you gravitate towards the other side of the scale, right now with the Covid/Corona business going on i'm pretty much numb...

I guess I would be an introvert, I am comfortable with my own company. Books, music, videos, my GF and her family. I'm equally content playing golf with others, or on my own.

Quite a few introverts can fake extroversion, unless the company is stultifying.

I think I differ from the OP in that I don't concern myself with what other people are doing, apart from some posts on TV which go beyond stupid.

8 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

But, can you?

I gave up coffee shops 2 years back ........ not worth the money.

I prefer to spend the 30bht on a 'Full Moon' dark wine cooler (7.5%).

Edited by BritManToo

"Some people have an aversion to silence, as if a moment uncluttered by words is an opportunity lost forever." Matt Braun, El Paso

Nearly nothing worse than some fart sitting down next to me and starting off with something like, "Last night I watched a five hour documentary on the winter-time war strategies of Napoleon. Now, let me back up 200 years and give you the history behind that so you'll understand better as I talk for the next two hours."

Just as bad: I'm reading a good book and someone sits down and starts talking to me as if to say, "Today's your lucky day boy, you can put down that boring book and hear me talk about myself for an hour."

• Haha 1