SURVEY: Should Foreigners separated from family be allowed to return?

Scott

SURVEY: Should foreigners with family be allowed back?  

365 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Thailand or the "Thai Government" / "Immigration"?  I like the Thai people.  Best not to confuse the two. 

when did thailand start to outsource the government and immigration work to foreign workers ? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Thailand or the "Thai Government" / "Immigration"?  I like the Thai people.  Best not to confuse the two. 

The govt in my passport-country certainly is not civilized. 

When was it easier to get PR and Thai Citizenship for Farangs?

The poster claimed Thailand was not civilised.

This was a slur on the nation of Thailand IMO, and my opinion that this attitude and arrogance is exactly the reason PR applications and citizenship are far out of reach for most Westerners and rightly so, to keep his type on a short leash.

Anything else you require me to clarify? 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

18 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Australia did.

Wrong. And they pay 

"You can travel to Australia if you are an Australian citizen, a permanent resident, an immediate family member of an Australian citizen or permanent resident or are a New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia. From 23:59 AEDT on 28 March 2020, all travellers arriving in Australia will be required to undertake a mandatory 14-day quarantine at designated facilities (for example, a hotel), in their port of arrival."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 473geo said:

Ha you really all think the guys voting to be let in with quarantine are working here and paying tax here, they are looking for preferential treatment based on emotional blackmail, rather than showing patience and consideration for the Thai people they claim to love!!

No, hence my use of the word ‘if’.

31 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

an immediate family member of an Australian citizen

I would rather a post from an Australian that has had his Thai wife fly into Oz of late..

Not saying it has not occured. I just know Oz guys that prior to Mr Covid needed visa for Thai wife. 

58 minutes ago, mr mr said:

when did thailand start to outsource the government and immigration work to foreign workers ? 

Those in charge set their policies to suit certain foreign interests, and to beneift the elites - not average Thai people.  We have the same problem in my passport-country.  Unfortunately, we lack the national identity / cohesion of the Thai people, so our losing our homelands entierly.  The Thais are better off.  A people with a homeland can always fix their government, later.

I have no issue with putting Thais first on the list to come home.  My criticism is they slow-walking it, rather than putting them up in the empty hotels for quarantine more rapidly.  Those married to a Thai should be quickly allowed to reunite with their families also. 

Due to the huge amount of empty hotel-space, and a conscripted army not at war who could easily enforce those under quarantine, there is no reason both could not be done at the same time - or at least, in rapid succession.

Edited by JackThompson

3 hours ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Ill wait until theirs no quarantine.

At last an honest one (and quite sensible, too).

All these farangs whinging they would happily accept quarantine - forgot how the same farangs wouldn't even wear a mask? Forgot they don't consider Thailand a "civilised country" (cf post #51)? This whole thread mainly consists of posts refusing to accept the legitimacy of Thai rules and regulations - actually a lot of TVF is about this. 

In quarantine they would complain

- it's too hot

- room too small

- room dirty

- CCTV is unnecessary intrusion into privacy

- internet is too slow

- There is no beer!!! And no treatment for alcohol withdrawal symptoms. 

- only Thai food

- gf is not allowed to visit them during quarantine

- no English language TV

- staff speaks Thai

- breakfast ist served at 7 am

- 14 days is too long if fifo and only 4 weeks off

and lots of other horrible things.  The horrors they complain about every day in Thailand,  magnified by quarantine. 

Very few would accept 14 days quarantine as a reasonable precaution. Most would try to cheat.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, natway09 said:

There are no rights even if have a valid visa & w/p.

These are unprecedented times

geustefunks comment is I hope tonge in check or just stupid.

The contagin is certainly not under any sort of control in the UK& Usa & many other countries so

why risk allowing them back ?

Most would have known when they left that getting back was going to be a problem.

I for one put off an important trip abroad for that very reason.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder or that is what they say

What about Thai people coming back from US, France, UK? Why risk to let them come back?

Virus has no nationality or race discrimination.

And I find so low to judge another person's opinion stupid just because you think in a different way.
Learn to respect other posters.

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

I dont see why you cannot enter, be tested for covid-19, then go about your life if the test is negative.  Back in March Thailand was developing a "cheap" test with 15-20 minute diagnosis.  Get er done LOS! 

https://www.scb.co.th/en/about-us/news/mar-2020/nws-csr-vistec-covid19.html

The first couple of days,  when you are already infected,  every test is still negative. You would need a quarantine of at least xxx days, plus a negative test after this time. But this is all cutting edge science.  Plenty of studies are still running. 

xxx is the time from infection to possible detection,  so probably shorter than the incubation period of up to 14 days. 

How many days is xxx? I don't know. 

8 minutes ago, newcomer71 said:

You can speak for yourself, I would happily accept that quarantine to be finally then able to reunite with my family. Too many people on this forum is making too many assumptions and riding on the high horse.

Well that is ok then, a few weeks down the line you may well get the opportunity, so no rush eh?

16 minutes ago, uhuh said:

At last an honest one (and quite sensible, too).

All these farangs whinging they would happily accept quarantine - forgot how the same farangs wouldn't even wear a mask? Forgot they don't consider Thailand a "civilised country" (cf post #51)? This whole thread mainly consists of posts refusing to accept the legitimacy of Thai rules and regulations - actually a lot of TVF is about this. 

In quarantine they would complain

- it's too hot

- room too small

- room dirty

- CCTV is unnecessary intrusion into privacy

- internet is too slow

- There is no beer!!! And no treatment for alcohol withdrawal symptoms. 

- only Thai food

- gf is not allowed to visit them during quarantine

- no English language TV

- staff speaks Thai

- breakfast ist served at 7 am

- 14 days is too long if fifo and only 4 weeks off

and lots of other horrible things.  The horrors they complain about every day in Thailand,  magnified by quarantine. 

Very few would accept 14 days quarantine as a reasonable precaution. Most would try to cheat.

Horse Feathers. 

The "legitimacy of Thai rules and regulations" only comes into play because of the envelope-schemes to which we, and Thais, are subjected by crooks.  But that's another issue.  Let's take that list:

- Turn on the A/C (they have it here).

- Open the window-curtain for the view (lots of empty, nice hotel-rooms).

- Plenty of spare time to clean the room, if desired

- CCTV in a private room?  Won't be going outside, anyway.
 - Buy a 4G card and package for internet.

- Why no beer?  Delivery should be ok.

- Thai food is delicious, but just order-out if you don't like it.

- No visitors in quantine, oh well.

- Watch the tube with your 4G internet.

- Use google-translate.

- No breakfast, thanks - just coffee.

- Of course it's too long.  Test after 3 days would be better, but they don't have the testing-capacity.

No one would be permitted to 'cheat', with army outside.  Those who chose not to do it don't have to come back.  Hopefully we get the fast testing machines here soon, so we can end all this.

4 hours ago, Emdog said:
4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Showing your true colours here. Foreigners demand everything and do nothing. Non-imigrant visas are easy to obtain. Stay here hassle free. You are either joking or completely deluded. I'm hoping it's the former.

Do nothing? I/we spend money which stimulates economy. Money brought in from abroad. We were the ones that kept businesses open during the low season.

I gladly help support wife's family (they are all hard working, but pay here for them is minimal). I don't "demand everything": if I did, there would be more Mexican restaurants!

I would like to volunteer teach for free (I was a teacher in USA for most of my adult life), but the hurdles just too much & I imagine somehow school head would find a way to have my job funded and then pocket all the cash.

So before accusing us of "either joking or completely deluded" perhaps a bit more thought on your part would be in order.

Oh, and we do pay taxes, the wonderfully regressive VAT

Edited 3 hours ago by Emdog
forgot a point

My post was not directed at you Emdog. Scroll back and look. What you have done is taken my post completely out of text as it was a reply to another poster. What is underlined is from another poster not me. 

Just now, newcomer71 said:

You can speak for yourself, I would happily accept that quarantine to be finally then able to reunite with my family. Too many people on this forum is making too many assumptions and riding on the high horse.

Ok think most would be sympathetic to your situation, but let's cut to chase. 

Many have been caught out.

I can't recall exact dates....here is my spin.

Several days prior to March 20 (the date AU closed borders) the au PM declared ALL Australians should return to AU.

March 16 I was at Saigon airport returning to DMK. Drinking with few mates work in Singapore. All flights except few early ones were cancelled. Singapore had issued isolation 14 day. 

I was due back Vietnam the following week. Couple of days later Vietnam closed borders and all visas ~ March 20.

I thought ....if I'm in Oz I need back Thailand ASAP, this is serious.

Stop the poor old me routine. Oh I'm married etc. Sure many collateral damage, most just stuffed up. Thailand shut its borders/entries ~ March 26. There was a very open window.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ok think most would be sympathetic to your situation, but let's cut to chase. 

Many have been caught out.

I can't recall exact dates....here is my spin.

Several days prior to March 20 (the date AU closed borders) the au PM declared ALL Australians should return to AU.

March 16 I was at Saigon airport returning to DMK. Drinking with few mates work in Singapore. All flights except few early ones were cancelled. Singapore had issued isolation 14 day. 

I was due back Vietnam the following week. Couple of days later Vietnam closed borders and all visas ~ March 20.

I thought ....if I'm in Oz I need back Thailand ASAP, this is serious.

Stop the poor old me routine. Oh I'm married etc. Sure many collateral damage, most just stuffed up. Thailand shut its borders/entries ~ March 26. There was a very open window.

I don't have to explain anything to anyone, I know what I did and what I have been through and how for a bunch of unfortunate events I got caught in the madness of canceled flights and unable to get back to Thailand (I am currently in a third country, not in my originary country that I haven't visited for more than 10 years).
We're not discussing here why we were blocked out, are we?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Those married to a national should be treated like citizens in all respects, with the exception of voting or holding official office/titles. 

have to disagree here. 

thailand makes rules as it pleases. one rule that may be in place in our homes may not be here. harsh reality and tough to swallow but that's life sometimes. mr and jack disagreeing with it makes no difference either.  

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Those in charge set their policies to suit certain foreign interests, and to beneift the elites - not average Thai people.  We have the same problem in my passport-country.  Unfortunately, we lack the national identity / cohesion of the Thai people, so our losing our homelands entierly.  The Thais are better off.  A people with a homeland can always fix their government, later.

I have no issue with putting Thais first on the list to come home.  My criticism is they slow-walking it, rather than putting them up in the empty hotels for quarantine more rapidly.  Those married to a Thai should be quickly allowed to reunite with their families also. 

Due to the huge amount of empty hotel-space, and a conscripted army not at war who could easily enforce those under quarantine, there is no reason both could not be done at the same time - or at least, in rapid succession.

can't say i disagree with much here other than the married to a thai bit. 

3 hours ago, flexomike said:

Why do you care about this, is money coming out of your pocket, get a life, I don't think anyone allowed to come back would have any problem having to pay for the quaratine

But, pray tell, why would they in truth have to be made to pay for any consequence of unilateral un-necessary arbitrary measures taken by some pseudo-government, illegitimate as not having pledged the oath to the Constitution it should have been, led by a former general, unelected by any mean, and guilty of high treason for having lead a military coup against a country and institutions he had pledged to serve, and, for having arbitrarily exercised the powers of a PM, and more, since, without any popular mandate!

I know about the distance between principles and reality, but does it give an atom of legitimity to this cartoonesk creature? In your idea, does it? Hmm?

Edited by bangrak

24 minutes ago, mr mr said:

have to disagree here. 

thailand makes rules as it pleases. one rule that may be in place in our homes may not be here. harsh reality and tough to swallow but that's life sometimes. mr and jack disagreeing with it makes no difference either.  

Sorry, wanted to answer, but the statement in the end is, IMHO, too ridiculous to waste time and energy on to formulate a grown up reaction about.

Just this tiny bit: ANYONE attempting to give any kind of legititimation to fascistoid nationalism, racism and xhenophobia, should be barred by the Nation's moderators watching over the TV site, ...as this important press house has never had any sympathy with such despicable political deviance!  

10 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Many if not most countries require a visa for a foreign spouse to join you,but unlike Thailand they are not suddenly  barring spouses who already hold such visas from returning to their families just because they’ve been out of the country l

Your not being barred because you have been out of the country

There is simply no flight at the moment coming into Thailand other than the Thai Nationals repatriation flights 

There is a  logistical reason , last week the number of Thai nationals returning was limited to 300 each day this is due to the amount of available Goverment quarantine facilites, not all hotels are suitable to host people subject to quarantine, the hotel has to request to be approved and subject to Goverment inspection

40,000 Thai nationals have registered with their local embassy an interest in returning , some 15,000 have already returned leaving a further 25,000 to return.

If anyone is in doubt that quarantine is required or necessary suggest you read the following twitter post 

Since February, there have been 104 cases of people in state quarantine with #COVID19. During the last two weeks, 17 people who returned from abroad were found to be infected #Thailand

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1264056463640547328

Hopefully Once all Thai Nationals have returned then they will look at a  similar program for People that hold long term visa's or are married to Thai Nationals

3 minutes ago, bangrak said:

Sorry, wanted to answer, but the statement in the end is, IMHO, too ridiculous to waste time and energy on to formulate a grown up reaction about.

Just this tiny bit: ANYONE attempting to give any kind of legititimation to fascistoid nationalism, racism and xhenophobia, should be barred by the Nation's moderators watching over the TV site, ...as this important press house has never had any sympathy with such despicable political deviance!  

i am simply saying their house their rules. you are not in kansas anymore you know that right ?  all the big buzz words you just used mean nothing here. they may to you and i but not here i am afraid. 

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

It is a backwards nationalistic policy that is medically unsound from an epidemiology perspective.

I thought anything short of PR was not a legal residence in Thailand, jut a visitor. I was wrong. 

Obviously you need a Thai passport to honestly say you have a right to live here, an impossible goal for MOST 

The virus does not discriminate. It knows no border. A Thai person coming in is just as likely infected as a foreigner the rules should be same

For the poll there should have been an option to "quarantine 14 days" at ones own residence.

People here have businesses, families, wonderful homes and gardens with plenty of space for "social distancing"

No reason they can't be isolated at home and safer than being put into a cramped facility with strangers.

Understand the need to limit unnecessary travel (tourists) But foreign people live here and this should be realized by the authorities.

quarantine 14 days" at ones own residence will never happen due to selfish idiots

Phuket authorities on the hunt for quarantine dodgers

The group had been asked to self-quarantine, but it’s now believed they continued to meet people outside their homes and defied the direct orders of health officials.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-asia/cv19-thailand/phuket-authorities-on-the-hunt-for-quarantine-dodgers

I apologize if it has been already posted in the topic but i just jump here

and i don't have read the 10 pages of posts.

First i feel really sorry for the all the people unable to come back in Thailand

i am sure the ones with family should be the next on the list to be allowed

to come inside.

But on Facebook a Thai i know actually stuck in the usa has publied some informations

(A complete guide for what to expect for a Thai returning to Thailand now) from a blogger about the madness the ones allowed to return have to do. the quarantine is really a pain in the a...

and there are still 3000 thais people waiting to return in Thailand (Already on the waiting list of the consulate) only in the usa, so you can imagine the numbers worlwide.

When you read the blog on Facebook (The name is ไม่เกี่ยว เฮีย ไรกันเลย )

trust me you understand the opening of the borders to something ''normal'' is not

for tomorrow, nor after tomorrow

Edited by kingofthemountain

The options for the survey are too narrow for me.  They fail to take account of people (and I'd guess there are thousands) who are married to a Thai national and those with families who don't normally live in Thailand but visit regularly.

I'd accept a 14 day quarantine if that could be done at home. I don't think it would be too difficult to police, there will be thousands of Pooyai Baan's who'd love an extra couple of thousand baht (paid by the foreigner) to do a little daily checking.

For me, at the moment the biggest problem is the lack of any announcements/plans on this subject.  Not seeing my wife until say, December would be hard but at least I'd know.

• Like 1