Tony's Gym

baansgr

1 hour ago, tropo said:

That would be no great loss to Pattaya. He has a lot of competition now and he didn't do anything to keep up with it. The gym business used to be easy money for him a decade ago, but he couldn't keep up. He was running his gyms like a tyrant, with rules such as no outside water allowed... and his gyms were filthy. He did well for the immediate period after California Wow closed in mid-2012, and then it was all downhill. I still have my lifetime membership that I haven't used since 2013 LOL.

Out of interest what gym would you recommend?

There's suppose to be a good one at Pratumnak, just past the art gallery turn left, it's just before the royal residence on the left, do you know anything about that, good or bad?

40 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

There's suppose to be a good one at Pratumnak, just past the art gallery turn left, it's just before the royal residence on the left, do you know anything about that, good or bad?

Its muscle factory, very good gym. They got a gym in Bkk as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Do a lot worse than Bear gym in Watboon. Clean, well organised, plenty CV, free and fixed weights. 7,400 per year..daily, weekly monthly etc available...2nd years membership gets 20% discount..I think they still offer one free session if you wanna try befor you buy

Looks good, thanks for that.

18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You and a lot of others, I wonder why they were so cheap? :glare:

Unfortunately, at that time, July 2012, there weren't too many options available. It was a very low period in the gym industry in Pattaya.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Sorry, I'm out of touch now. I ended up building my own home gym in 2015 and never went back to a public gym again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tropo said:

That would be no great loss to Pattaya. He has a lot of competition now and he didn't do anything to keep up with it. The gym business used to be easy money for him a decade ago, but he couldn't keep up. He was running his gyms like a tyrant, with rules such as no outside water allowed... and his gyms were filthy.

I don't really understand all these negative critics on Tony's Gym. I use facilities on 3rd Road and have no real reason to complain on what is available. Even if a few machines may take time to be repaired, there are many other to work with.

Even less reasons to complain when I think about the price: I paid 15'000 B in 2008 for a LifeTime membership. Makes about 100 B per month (yes, ONE HUNDRED baht per month only)

And about the OP, just another negative rumour. Facilities are closed because of Covid-19 and will reopen once the problem is solved or contained. (as said on FB and on post above)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I don't really understand all these negative critics on Tony's Gym. I use facilities on 3rd Road and have no real reason to complain on what is available. Even if a few machines may take time to be repaired, there are many other to work with.

Even less reasons to complain when I think about the price: I paid 15'000 B in 2008 for a LifeTime membership. Makes about 100 B per month (yes, ONE HUNDRED baht per month only)

And about the OP, just another negative rumour. Facilities are closed because of Covid-19 and will reopen once the problem is solved or contained. (as said on FB and on post above)

Everyone has their own ideas of what makes a good gym but...

We've covered Tony's gym in many previous threads over the years. Go back and revise them for the many reasons why Tony's gym was not the best place to train. The complaints came at a time when there were few alternatives available and Tony had a monopoly on the gym market. Now there are many, so people are less likely to complain and more likely to walk, but probably most have already left.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tropo said:

Everyone has their own ideas of what makes a good gym but...

We've covered Tony's gym in many previous threads over the years. Go back and revise them for the many reasons why Tony's gym was not the best place to train. The complaints came at a time when there were few alternatives available and Tony had a monopoly on the gym market. Now there are many, so people are less likely to complain and more likely to walk, but probably most have already left.

i was already scare to die of HIV at Tobygyms, so now no chance to visit any even if they reopen FOR FREE.

Never seen so dirty gym in my whole life.

20 hours ago, samtab said:

i was already scare to die of HIV at Tobygyms, so now no chance to visit any even if they reopen FOR FREE.

Never seen so dirty gym in my whole life.

I think you need to research how HIV is contracted.  You can not get it from the sweat of an infected person, yes, these gyms are dirty and run down. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 2:40 PM, Pattaya46 said:

I used to like them but haven't been for a year or more. There was a farung guy who worked for him then and I guess his job was to look after the equipment. He used to come and inspect the broken stuff and then leave. Never fixed anything. The girl who used to work at the Sukhumvit one used to buy her own oil for the machines because she would report them as needing oiled and nothing ever happened. She became sick of everyone complaining so she fixed them herself. Then she left and they just all broke. Was sad and very frustrating that no one cared. They opened this beautiful new gym with new equipment and it just all broke because I one maintained it. I went past Sukhumvit in a songtaew today. I only saw quickly but it looked like all the equipment was gone.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I used to like them but haven't been for a year or more. There was a farung guy who worked for him then and I guess his job was to look after the equipment. He used to come and inspect the broken stuff and then leave. Never fixed anything. The girl who used to work at the Sukhumvit one used to buy her own oil for the machines because she would report them as needing oiled and nothing ever happened. She became sick of everyone complaining so she fixed them herself. Then she left and they just all broke. Was sad and very frustrating that no one cared. They opened this beautiful new gym with new equipment and it just all broke because I one maintained it. I went past Sukhumvit in a songtaew today. I only saw quickly but it looked like all the equipment was gone.

Generally Thais don't maintain ANYTHING.

• Like 1

I went to One Fitness in Rong Po today. A bit out of town on Naklua side past the motorway but really good value. Just opened,full gym(though part closed now), swimming pool with spa, group fitness classes(not open now),everything clean, smiling faces in uniforms.. 1350baht per month and cheaper for long term.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I went to One Fitness in Rong Po today. A bit out of town on Naklua side past the motorway but really good value. Just opened,full gym(though part closed now), swimming pool with spa, group fitness classes(not open now),everything clean, smiling faces in uniforms.. 1350baht per month and cheaper for long term.

Past the motorway, or past the Hwy 36 junction? Rong Po is, if I am correct, on Sukhumvit, North of Pattaya, at the first lights after the Hwy 36 junction (heading towards Laem Chabang).  

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Past the motorway, or past the Hwy 36 junction? Rong Po is, if I am correct, on Sukhumvit, North of Pattaya, at the first lights after the Hwy 36 junction (heading towards Laem Chabang).  

I don't drive so I'd say it is the Highway 36 junction. My Thai family just call it the motorway as is the only close one. Yes at the lights do a U turn and it is on the road at the end of the market with the little police station. About 400 metres up before the railway line.

• Thanks 1