Tony's Gym

baansgr

On 5/28/2020 at 11:28 PM, piston broke said:

i took out a life time membership - but soon found out the "lifetime" meant the lifetime of the gym (which closed not long after i paid), rather than my lifetime .....

you live and learn ....

It's pretty obvious that any lifetime membership is for the life of the gym. One has to exercise due diligence and assess how long a gym is likely to remain open when paying for such a membership.

I saw a truck with a crane outside Tony's plastic tent gym yesterday, so it's all over.

On 5/29/2020 at 2:30 PM, Leaver said:
On 5/28/2020 at 6:28 PM, piston broke said:

but soon found out the "lifetime" meant the lifetime of the gym

I always thought it meant the lifetime of the scam.  ????

Uh? Their lifetime membership give you access to all their facilities.

If ever the one you used was closed,

you still must have 4 or 5 other places you can go in Pattaya.

Edited by Pattaya46

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I saw a truck with a crane outside Tony's plastic tent gym yesterday, so it's all over.

Hum... could be destruction, but could also be renovation... 

Interested to know about this...

So if ever you go by there again... thanks to report  :jap:

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Hum... could be destruction, but could also be renovation... 

Interested to know about this...

So if ever you go by there again... thanks to report  :jap:

It was early and nothing had been loaded onto the truck - I'll check it out next time I pass by.

On 5/31/2020 at 8:38 AM, Pattaya46 said:

Uh? Their lifetime membership give you access to all their facilities.

If ever the one you used was closed,

you still must have 4 or 5 other places you can go in Pattaya.

How many is there now to go to?

20 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Thought all of Tonys Gyms were now closed and cleaned out?

Yes they are, as said on their FB page, until they can open again normaly.

My reply was for someone who used a Tony's gym that has been definitively closed.

Tony’s gym on Soi Buakhao isn’t the best granted . Old and shoddy equipment and not the cleanest. But the prices are fair enough.

Theres just something about it I like though. Actually feels like your in Thailand if you go early evening . Can hear the old homeless, one screw loose man playing his flute, the market setting up and it’s smells and can feel that general sense of excitement that the night brings in Pattaya. 

If you wanna lift something weights and have a run there’s nothing wrong with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HerbyJFlash said:

Tony’s gym on Soi Buakhao isn’t the best granted . Old and shoddy equipment and not the cleanest. But the prices are fair enough.

Theres just something about it I like though. Actually feels like your in Thailand if you go early evening . Can hear the old homeless, one screw loose man playing his flute, the market setting up and it’s smells and can feel that general sense of excitement that the night brings in Pattaya. 

If you wanna lift something weights and have a run there’s nothing wrong with it.

sounds lovely

With respect to my question about reopening the Third Road gym, Lucas, a manager type there, told me yesterday "not open maybe for the next few months."  As others have alluded to, a number of their clubs have been closed permanently (even before Coronavirus) and they are actively trying to sell a bunch of that equipment.  But the Third Road club, it seems, will eventually be back up and running.

10 hours ago, HerbyJFlash said:

I am pretty sure I read but not 100% sure that the Soi bukow gym has closed as in closed closed...

11 hours ago, HerbyJFlash said:

Yes. I used to like it. Cheap. Sauna. Watch all the people in the market. The girls walking down Soi Bukhao to work. After gym walk along the Soi and down Soi Honey. There used to be a nice phillipino girl working there but she went back home. The guy after her not such fun.

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

It was reported that trucks were taking away the gym equipment.  That doesn't sound like a temporary closure to me. 

You asked "how many are there now". I replied they had announced"They are all closed for now"

On 6/3/2020 at 12:45 PM, Wongkitlo said:

You asked "how many are there now". I replied they had announced"They are all closed for now"

There's a big difference between being closed and vacating a premises. 

I once paid 4000 Baht for a lifetime membership at california wow. It lasted 2 years or so before it got closed down.

If I recall correctly, Tony was selling his lifetime membership at 7 - 8000 Baht.

Now if I combine the price of both, which would be total of 12000 Baht, that money would buy me a 6 month gym membership in my home country.

Some people on this forum really should get a life.

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

There's a big difference between being closed and vacating a premises. 

Koon Leaver. You seem to like to deal in certainty but can only offer possible. Maybe they will reopen as they were. Maybe Soi Bukhao is being renovated as someone posted. Maybe Tony will shut down all the gyms. As we discussed in another thread maybe the tourists won't come back soon and alot of businesses like Tony's will become unviable. Unfortunately don't know. I saw Soi Bukhao today and last week Sukhumvit. My guess is they are finished but he will keep the 2nd road one. He still has equipment sales there and it seems like a viable business with the Muay Thai gym and the cheap rooms for rent. I hope so. It is probably sentimental but I remember when I first came to Pattaya I caught the van from National Monument. The first thing I saw was an overturned pick up on the motorway. Next Tony's 2nd Rd gym with all these pretty girls working out. Looking back they were probably Ladyboys. Whenever I have an argument with my wife I say to myself "Ok. I'll go and live at Tony's gym in 2nd road". I pack up all my things but she always says "don't go" so haven't gone yet. 

16 minutes ago, Susco said:

I once paid 4000 Baht for a lifetime membership at california wow. It lasted 2 years or so before it got closed down.

If I recall correctly, Tony was selling his lifetime membership at 7 - 8000 Baht.

Now if I combine the price of both, which would be total of 12000 Baht, that money would buy me a 6 month gym membership in my home country.

Some people on this forum really should get a life.

And if you paid 4000 baht and California Wow closed down in 2 weeks, instead of 2 years????

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

And if you paid 4000 baht and California Wow closed down in 2 weeks, instead of 2 years????

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Life is like that. Everything is a gamble.

On 6/3/2020 at 3:06 PM, Leaver said:

It was reported that trucks were taking away the gym equipment.  That doesn't sound like a temporary closure to me. 

Last time I drove past Tonys Gym  at the junction  between South and third road  there was a large sign advertising the sale of "imported" exercise equipment, maybe he has really really called it a day for the Gym business.

4 hours ago, johng said:

Last time I drove past Tonys Gym  at the junction  between South and third road  there was a large sign advertising the sale of "imported" exercise equipment, maybe he has really really called it a day for the Gym business.

Tony's always had an activity of selling exercise equipment, new or refurbished.

The open air room at the 3rd/South junction is where they expose heavy equipment.

14 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Life is like that. Everything is a gamble.

We proudly hear from the members that the life time membership benefited, in time versus money down.  Yet, there would be many that lost out. 

It's only a gamble, if you put the money down. 

Pay as you go.  Rent don't buy.  How many times have you heard these sayings for living in Thailand?

12 hours ago, johng said:

Only time will tell.  However, I don't think we will be waiting too long to find out.

47 minutes ago, Leaver said:

We proudly hear from the members that the life time membership benefited, in time versus money down.  Yet, there would be many that lost out. 

It's only a gamble, if you put the money down. 

Pay as you go.  Rent don't buy.  How many times have you heard these sayings for living in Thailand?

Of course it's a gamble if you don't pay the lifetime. If you use the gym a lot and pay yearly, you've lost the potential savings of the lifetime membership.

It's like any investments. If you do due diligence before you put money down, you decrease the risk of losing and increase the potential savings.

California Wow had a high risk of closure, but a high yearly membership, which in turn lowered the risk.

Tony's had a lower risk of closure, but a lower annual fee so it needed to stay afloat longer to gain benefits of lifetime. The coronavirus was an unpredictable event that may see many gyms close. It could be in the same category as an "act of God" in legal terms.

The biggest risk of lifetime memberships is not the closure of the gym, but giving up training or deciding you no longer like the gym. The dropout rate in gyms is very high.

Edited by JensenZ

20 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Of course it's a gamble if you don't pay the lifetime. If you use the gym a lot and pay yearly, you've lost the potential savings of the lifetime membership.

It's like any investments. If you do due diligence before you put money down, you decrease the risk of losing and increase the potential savings.

California Wow had a high risk of closure, but a high yearly membership, which in turn lowered the risk.

Tony's had a lower risk of closure, but a lower annual fee so it needed to stay afloat longer to gain benefits of lifetime. The coronavirus was an unpredictable event that may see many gyms close. It could be in the same category as an "act of God" in legal terms.

The biggest risk of lifetime memberships is not the closure of the gym, but giving up training or deciding you no longer like the gym. The dropout rate in gyms is very high.

My comment had nothing to do with corona virus, and everything to do with a typical Thai, and farang, scam.  Allbetit, sometimes it doesn't start out as a scam, but people lose out anyway.  That said, history shows many of these places were set up to take membership money, then close.