BANGKOK
rooster59

The week that was in Thailand news: Hallelujah! At least a semblance of sanity is returning to Thailand

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Hallelujah! At least a semblance of sanity is returning to Thailand

Yes, or it has been sanity all the time. Just look at the numbers and the result. Most countries have been failing in that department.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Lotus (are two branches called 'loti?)

Love it! The Latin plural.

I have come across the conundrum of how to tongue-in-cheek-pluralize words quite frequently, scratching my head whether...

- the plural of "virus" shouldn't be rendered as "viri" instead of the rather boring "viruses";

- a congregation of Elvis impersonators could be referred to as "a flock of Elvi";

- or whether a group of people with the same first name, Thomas, could be summarily addressed as "Thomi"; and not "Thomases". 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

In Suphanburi a lottery seller took umbrage with a municipal "jobsworth" (my word)

Rooster, I am disappointed in you. Much like the Shakespeare character in Upstart Crow who forever claims to have invented practically every cliche and idiom in the English language, you are claiming a term that has been in use since the 1960s and that I particularly remember from the TV series "That's Life", which had its weekly Jobsworth award. As a Scrabble payer you are surely aware that the word appears in Chambers Dictionary. 24 points without bonuses; nice!

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

In Suphanburi a lottery seller took umbrage with a municipal "jobsworth" (my word) drawing blood and causing stitches after whacking him over the head with a coffee cup. It had been a disagreement over an overzealous mask wearing request. 

Not to condone his behavior, but being a closet anarchist some of these local officials remind me of the traffic wardens where I was born.

Just how often were they allowed into the hospital - are talking of signs at the bottom of the bed?

No Parking In This Area Car Park Signs | No Parking In This Area ...

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Police are looking for a man with a number on his back, with no passenger, no helmet, weaving from side to side after consuming a vat of Lao Khao. Plod are working through 10,000 suspects.

Does that mean the plod are plying each of the 10,000 suspects with Lao Khao, to check how wildly they weave afterwards?

I hope they're keeping meticulous records of their findings.

So just because your swimming pool has opened a semblance of sanity is returning in Thailand ? Dream on, from where I am sitting just in Pattaya alone there are many thousands of people starving, and millions in the country suffering extreme hardship 😞

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Rooster, I am disappointed in you. Much like the Shakespeare character in Upstart Crow who forever claims to have invented practically every cliche and idiom in the English language, you are claiming a term that has been in use since the 1960s and that I particularly remember from the TV series "That's Life", which had its weekly Jobsworth award. As a Scrabble payer you are surely aware that the word appears in Chambers Dictionary. 24 points without bonuses; nice!

You misunderstood, probably due to my poor wording.When I said it was my word I meant that in the original story that I translated myself I decided to use that word. It is indeed a great Scrabble word though I am yet to get to play it.

Thanx for reading.

Rooster

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a sequence of self gratifications.. get a life  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, smew said:

How many points for the word curmudgeon in Scrabble?

I am sure you are aware that the real Suwannaphum, in Roi Et province, would reject any comparison with it's sound alike namesake in Bangkok and the therefore the name Swampy is far more appropriate for the nations gateway.

Rooster, like you I revelled in that first swim.

Your comprehensive rundown of the weeks events did have one glaring omission. I take it you are not a golfer, reopening the golf courses to many was just as important as a pool.

1 hour ago, smew said:

Couldn't agree more. Count the number of 'I's

• Sad 1