The week that was in Thailand news: Hallelujah! At least a semblance of sanity is returning to Thailand

rooster59

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Hallelujah! At least a semblance of sanity is returning to Thailand

Yes, or it has been sanity all the time. Just look at the numbers and the result. Most countries have been failing in that department.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Lotus (are two branches called 'loti?)

Love it! The Latin plural.

I have come across the conundrum of how to tongue-in-cheek-pluralize words quite frequently, scratching my head whether...

- the plural of "virus" shouldn't be rendered as "viri" instead of the rather boring "viruses";

- a congregation of Elvis impersonators could be referred to as "a flock of Elvi";

- or whether a group of people with the same first name, Thomas, could be summarily addressed as "Thomi"; and not "Thomases". 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

In Suphanburi a lottery seller took umbrage with a municipal "jobsworth" (my word)

Rooster, I am disappointed in you. Much like the Shakespeare character in Upstart Crow who forever claims to have invented practically every cliche and idiom in the English language, you are claiming a term that has been in use since the 1960s and that I particularly remember from the TV series "That's Life", which had its weekly Jobsworth award. As a Scrabble payer you are surely aware that the word appears in Chambers Dictionary. 24 points without bonuses; nice!

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

In Suphanburi a lottery seller took umbrage with a municipal "jobsworth" (my word) drawing blood and causing stitches after whacking him over the head with a coffee cup. It had been a disagreement over an overzealous mask wearing request. 

Not to condone his behavior, but being a closet anarchist some of these local officials remind me of the traffic wardens where I was born.

Just how often were they allowed into the hospital - are talking of signs at the bottom of the bed?

No Parking In This Area Car Park Signs | No Parking In This Area ...

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Police are looking for a man with a number on his back, with no passenger, no helmet, weaving from side to side after consuming a vat of Lao Khao. Plod are working through 10,000 suspects.

Does that mean the plod are plying each of the 10,000 suspects with Lao Khao, to check how wildly they weave afterwards?

I hope they're keeping meticulous records of their findings.

So just because your swimming pool has opened a semblance of sanity is returning in Thailand ? Dream on, from where I am sitting just in Pattaya alone there are many thousands of people starving, and millions in the country suffering extreme hardship ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Rooster, I am disappointed in you. Much like the Shakespeare character in Upstart Crow who forever claims to have invented practically every cliche and idiom in the English language, you are claiming a term that has been in use since the 1960s and that I particularly remember from the TV series "That's Life", which had its weekly Jobsworth award. As a Scrabble payer you are surely aware that the word appears in Chambers Dictionary. 24 points without bonuses; nice!

You misunderstood, probably due to my poor wording.When I said it was my word I meant that in the original story that I translated myself I decided to use that word. It is indeed a great Scrabble word though I am yet to get to play it.

Thanx for reading.

Rooster

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am sure you are aware that the real Suwannaphum, in Roi Et province, would reject any comparison with it's sound alike namesake in Bangkok and the therefore the name Swampy is far more appropriate for the nations gateway.

Rooster, like you I revelled in that first swim.

Your comprehensive rundown of the weeks events did have one glaring omission. I take it you are not a golfer, reopening the golf courses to many was just as important as a pool.

25 minutes ago, overt2016 said:

Couldn't agree more. Count the number of 'I's

If you don't like the poster, get off and stay off. Ignore function is at your disposal. Starting to wonder how many miserable gits TV can hold.

• Like 2

“ With about as many children drowning in Thailand as dying on motorcycles”

I trust that was use of journalistic license as they say, I find it hard to believe that drownings would be that high.

Notwithstanding, I totally agree in training them to swim when young, 

our little one was in the water before she could walk.

Did the lockdown degrade this column, or is this typical output for the author?

You're not as clever as you make yourself out to be. The writing is try-hard and full of itself.

I'm back in high school reading my friend's dopey essay where every line is brilliant... according to him.

Hint: writing done well shouldn't bring attention to itself. You break this rule at every turn.

Fail.

Edited by newbruisers23
word

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

you are claiming a term that has been in use since the 1960s and that I particularly remember from the TV series "That's Life", which had its weekly Jobsworth award.

Sorry to say but you are slightly off in your claim that the origin of the word JOBSWORTH was taken from a 1960s mantra.  In fact, it was first used during the 1960s (you are correct there) but it came from a song titled "Jobsworth" by British/South African singer/songwriter Jeremy Taylor and refers to a low ranking official who follows instructions and procedures to the letter. It is often done just to p**s a person off and to make the low ranking urchin feel important, i.e. he is powerful and your are nothing. It could easily be applied to many Thai IOs dealing with our visa problems, who will tell you things like all orders must first be placed in writing in duplicate or triplicate with the appropriate department before being submitted, etc. and only when such supporting documentation has been received will we be able to, blah, blah, blah. 
'nuf sed 

1 hour ago, newbruisers23 said:

You're not as clever as you make yourself out to be. The writing is try-hard and full of itself.

I'm back in high school reading my friend's dopey essay where every line is brilliant... according to him.

Hint: writing done well shouldn't bring attention to itself. You break this rule at every turn.

Fail.

Rooster at least makes the effort once a week to inform and entertain readers, and has been doing it for a long time now. According to your limited post record, you apparently have aspirations to be a keyboard critic.

If you think you can do better, start a thread which entertains us with your scintillating wit. Don't hold back, demonstrate your brilliance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newbruisers23 said:

Fail

Thanks very much for reading.

Another 216 await you in the archive, done on the previous 216 Sundays since 2016 when I began working at Thaivisa as a translator. 

By the way I don't claim to be clever. And if you really read this week's offering and grasped its meaning you might have appreciated the number of times I professed my ignorance and put myself down.

Try it!

Rooster

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

I taught both my now adult children to play Scrabble.

Perhaps then Mr. Rooster you can shed some light on the subject. I was reading on-line a highly vituperative discussion on the relative intelligence of races. One participant introduced into evidence, or perhaps counter-evidence, the "fact" that nearly all high level scrabble tournaments in Europe both Anglophone and Francophone are now totally dominated by West Africans. Is this true?

A great read, and you are right about the USA, there are 13 states where the virus numbers are increasing  but it looks like Brazil is in the race as well. It is always sad to hear about young

children dying, because of inattention of the adults around. I hope that the International travel

starts with even a few flights to get the last of the stranded people back to their countries

or Thailand. Over a half a million people have died of the Covid virus, and the USA will

be more than 100,000, but with 300 plus million, they may slowly get a more serious attitude

about the virus. Looking forward to next week,  Enjoy the pool and the cleaner air.

Geezer

On 5/25/2020 at 1:11 AM, HannahD said:

Perhaps then Mr. Rooster you can shed some light on the subject. I was reading on-line a highly vituperative discussion on the relative intelligence of races. One participant introduced into evidence, or perhaps counter-evidence, the "fact" that nearly all high level scrabble tournaments in Europe both Anglophone and Francophone are now totally dominated by West Africans. Is this true?

Nigerians in particular are brilliant at Scrabble but I wouldn't want to assign intelligence to the game. 

I am, after all, rather good at it.....

Rooster