Aussies expats who plans to return to Thailand

ezzra

Before any Aussie expat book or plan a return trip to Thailand in the coming months an Australian citizen who has been overseas may return to Australia and go into quarantine but an Australian citizen cannot board an international flight from Australia without being granted permission 'permission-to-exit' by the Immigration Department and Border Force. There are very few exceptions to this ruling and the application process is onerous...

( this information was provided on https://www.traveller.com.au/)

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/australian-international-coronavirus-travel-ban-exemptions

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/departmental-forms/online-forms/covid19-enquiry-form

• Like 2

It a bit of a moot point isn't it, as no planes are flying anyway. There wont be flights to book until the measures are lifted.

You may get a permission to exit but at the moment there are no flights to exit on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OMG, are we living in Nazi era or in NK? Why someone needs a permission leave the country? Flights available or not is a moot point. Australia is now one of the safest places as Europe and USA are devasted by desease and death.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

It a bit of a moot point isn't it, as no planes are flying anyway. There wont be flights to book until the measures are lifted.

You may get a permission to exit but at the moment there are no flights to exit on.

No it's not, Emirate are resuming flights to Australia and others will no doubt will follow, don't you wanna know whether you can leave Australia to go back to your home and family or what ever you have in Thailand?...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

One of the exceptions should be if you are classed as living overseas by any government agency, such as Centrelink or the ATO. The regulation is wide open to legal challenge, they can't have it both ways.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

No it's not, Emirate are resuming flights to Australia and others will no doubt will follow, don't you wanna know whether you can leave Australia to go back to your home and family or what ever you have in Thailand?...

Thanks, I was unaware Emirates starting again. Do you know when ?

I have 2-3 friend that will be on the first flight

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

Started a few days ago, into/out of Sydney and Melbourne.

Sydney Melbourne to Bangkok ??? Not according to their website

image.png.a9b78ca00e41d0294ff72ebecbb6ddba.png

34 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Sydney Melbourne to Bangkok ??? Not according to their website

555, that wasnt the question I was answering.  I don't recall them ever flying from Australia to Bangkok?  Anyway, nobody is flying to Bangkok from anywhere.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Upnotover said:

555, that wasnt the question I was answering.  I don't recall them ever flying from Australia to Bangkok?  Anyway, nobody is flying to Bangkok from anywhere.

The question, which you quoted, was "Sydney Melbourne to Bangkok ???"

The topic title is "Aussies expats who plans to return to Thailand"

As you say that you were not answering the question you quoted in your post, whose and what question were you answering? A link to the corresponding post would be helpful.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mulambana said:

Australia is now one of the safest places as Europe and USA are devasted by desease and death.

Utter sensationalist tabloid tosh. A bit above death curve for old folk is hardly devastation. But typical gloating attitude from the boorish aussies. Hope you can sort your fires out next year without outside help.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 9

It still does my head in that Aussies are essentially unable to leave their country, a basic right for a developed nation I would have thought. Thank fudge I got out with literally days to spare, I'm not going back this year even if they stop the mandatory quarantine, don't wanna risk getting stuck there, it's a nice place but I'm bored there, sorry to my kids (but they are adults). And in future my travel bookings will be a max of 2 months out, to try and minimise "travel credit" risk. End of vent.

The assumption that flights will begin again in the next few months is predicated on no upsurge in infections, hospitalisations, and deaths in Thailand will occur. This of course is completely unknown.

Regardless of what the Australian Border Force (Immigration) say if Thailand is 'border-closed' then what Australia allows is irrelevant as far as entry to the Kingdom is concerned.

On 5/24/2020 at 3:57 PM, Upnotover said:

Before I moved here in 2014, and even when I made that move, I ALWAYS flew Emirates from Sydney to BKK.

On 5/24/2020 at 11:42 AM, Mulambana said:

OMG, are we living in Nazi era or in NK? Why someone needs a permission leave the country? Flights available or not is a moot point. Australia is now one of the safest places as Europe and USA are devasted by desease and death.

Perhaps the Australian Government do not want to pay for an extra 14 days "holiday" in a hotel when you come back to Australia for your mandatory quarantine?

"Note that upon returning to Australia you'll be required to be quarantined for 14 days in a hotel arranged and paid for by the Federal Government. This hotel will be located in your arrival city, not your final destination."

Although each case is examined individually, this exemption might allow you to travel back to a family in Thailand.

"Who is exempt from Australia's international coronavirus travel ban?"

[...]

"Travel on compassionate or humanitarian grounds"

Some items of proof requested to support your application to leave the country, relevant to returning to family.

• marriage certificate/s
  • proof of relationship (for example, shared tenancy agreement, joint bank account etc.)
  • visa status
  • proof that you are moving to another country on a long term basis[...]
  • statement or evidence to show when you wish to return to Australia

11 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

Perhaps the Australian Government do not want to pay for an extra 14 days "holiday" in a hotel when you come back to Australia for your mandatory quarantine?

"Note that upon returning to Australia you'll be required to be quarantined for 14 days in a hotel arranged and paid for by the Federal Government. This hotel will be located in your arrival city, not your final destination."

Although each case is examined individually, this exemption might allow you to travel back to a family in Thailand.

"Who is exempt from Australia's international coronavirus travel ban?"

[...]

"Travel on compassionate or humanitarian grounds"

Some items of proof requested to support your application to leave the country, relevant to returning to family.

• marriage certificate/s
  • proof of relationship (for example, shared tenancy agreement, joint bank account etc.)
  • visa status
  • proof that you are moving to another country on a long term basis[...]
  • statement or evidence to show when you wish to return to Australia

I would be interested to hear from any Australian who has applied for an exemption on compassionate grounds, ie family reunion. Were you approved or not? Or is this still  a work in progress because you could not get back in here anyway. As there are no scheduled flights, I would have thought they would not entertain an application yet. As individual circumstances differ particularly in relation, to residency, retirement, working arrangements etc many may not wish to have to beg Peter Dutton's Department for permission to leave the country, and in the process lay yourself bare for all sorts of Government intervention in your life. I will be hoping that early in the New Year these arrangements will have changed. 

9 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

I would be interested to hear from any Australian who has applied for an exemption on compassionate grounds, ie family reunion. Were you approved or not? Or is this still  a work in progress because you could not get back in here anyway. As there are no scheduled flights, I would have thought they would not entertain an application yet. As individual circumstances differ particularly in relation, to residency, retirement, working arrangements etc many may not wish to have to beg Peter Dutton's Department for permission to leave the country, and in the process lay yourself bare for all sorts of Government intervention in your life. I will be hoping that early in the New Year these arrangements will have changed. 

Permission needed to leave your own country? Unbelievable.

Not to be pedantic but there are scheduled passenger flights operating now between Australia and some countries. 

Example USA-Sydney, Incheon- SYD. Korean flies to BKK and they and the Japanese allow transit passengers.

One might have to plan an itinerary stiching  together tickets on various airlines or fly 14 hours in the wrong direction to get back to Thailand but there is a way.

Our problems as expats stuck out is is WHEN? Thailand will ease the currently impossible, and then onerous medically unsound and racist travel restrictions they have mooted. A quick stroll on FlightAware.com got a flight from SFO approaching Vanuatu or (or is that New Caledonia) enroute at the moment. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 1.25.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 1.25.13 PM.png

15 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Permission needed to leave your own country? Unbelievable.

Not to be pedantic but there are scheduled passenger flights operating now between Australia and some countries. 

Example USA-Sydney, Incheon- SYD. Korean flies to BKK and they and the Japanese allow transit passengers.

One might have to plan an itinerary stiching  together tickets on various airlines or fly 14 hours in the wrong direction to get back to Thailand but there is a way.

Our problems as expats stuck out is is WHEN? Thailand will ease the currently impossible, and then onerous medically unsound and racist travel restrictions they have mooted. A quick stroll on FlightAware.com got a flight from SFO approaching Vanuatu or (or is that New Caledonia) enroute at the moment. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 1.25.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 1.25.13 PM.png

Sorry mate but with Bangkok Airport closed until 30 June, there is no way currently, whether via Korea or Doha. The plane might even come here, but no-one is getting off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

Sorry mate but with Bangkok Airport closed until 30 June, there is no way currently, whether via Korea or Doha. The plane might even come here, but no-one is getting off.

I know about the restrictions on foreigners but Suvarnabhumi airport is not closed.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 11:52 PM, simple1 said:

With a population of nearly 25 million the Oz government and people have done well with so far limiting deaths to 102 and infections from Covid 7,109 and recoveries of 6,506. Your spiteful comment is unfortunate, especially when Oz firefighters assist their colleagues in the US nearly every year. BTW the first death from Covid in my region was caused by a person returning from the US unknowingly with a Covid infection.

You can call it spite if you want, but I get cheesed off with typical aussie gloating on this while tens of thousands are dying. You guys never got the hit mainly because of locality, but all I hear is cringe-worthy China-esque backslapping on how well you've done. Put your country in Europe or US with similar arrivals/business movement, you'd suffer the same fate. The fires were horrendous, yes I donated, but weather aside, a big part of the spread was due to bush mismanagement.

• Sad 1

Who the heck wants to deal with irrational decisions made by a third world government whether or not you can return to your family or home in Thailand?

Although this whole pandemic has caught many off-guard, it is a real indication what CAN happen when you are out of your own country.

It is a risk you take to live in a foreign country.

As far as the USA and the huge number of deaths, we have 330,000,000 people.

You have better odds by 10 to 1 to get killed by a lightning strike.

Here in the USA, all things are open where we live including the gyms and salons.

Companies are still fearful of getting sued so the work from home will continue the rest of the year; which is actually a good thing for me.

In any major event such as a new pandemic, there are lessons to be learned. However, some people will never learn them, only to be caught by the next big event.

It is extremely odd married ex-pats cannot return to their families in Thailand? Anyone returning, whether Thai or expat have the same exact chance to bring CV in. CV does not discriminate.

That should be wake up call as to how important you might perceive yourself to be living in Thailand and the reality of not being important at all.

After 10+ years living in Thailand, I have never had one regret about moving back to the USA.

My experience during this pandemic is there has never been a lock down where I live, never been a shortage of food, never been an increase in prices (gas is at it's lowest in years), people in the stores are more respectful and friendly towards each other and get to work from home.  Restaurants have all had carry out or drive through service open. Beer, wine all readily available. Never worn a mask or gloves. 

The media seems to want to paint a picture that every location in the entire world is sheer hell and death.

Not the case where we live at all.

I think the smartest thing any person could do, that is not trapped in Thailand the rest of their lives, is to ensure their wife and kids have the legal paper work to get the heck out of Thailand should any future event warrant it and be able to relocate to the husband's home country. That way you won't have to suffer at the slow govt decisions that could perhaps keep you away from your family for a long time.

We have seen how ONE pandemic can cause chaos all over the world, are you ready to take a chance their won't be another one in the future? Or something even worse?

Feel extremely safe where we are at and feel smart I pushed my wife to get her US citizenship as soon as she was eligible. 

Edited by bwpage3
  • Confused 1

The problem may be that if you are aussie you cannot be denied entry to oz. so letting people fly out then could get the virus and still return.

oz has closed borders in and out and also had closed state borders. Thats why its done so well.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 11:31 AM, Peterw42 said:

For Thai PR holders trying to get into Thailand to be with their Thai families, as above what are the flight options into Thailand:

- Normal commercial flights - for example from Sydney. Pretty much zero at 28 May 2020. AirAsia have announced some trips from end of June but unworkable because their flight transit at Kuala Lumphur and right now Malaysian gov't have banned all foreigners from entering M'sia including transit.

- Normal commercial flights Sydney to Bkk, transit in Singapore - some flights possible from 1 June, yet to be fully confirmed and expensive.

- Normal commercial flights sydney to Bkk direct, Thai, Qantas, dates don't seem to be firm, very expenisve.

- Thai repatriation flights, some still operating from Sydney to Bkk. About 1 flight per week, need to be quick to grab a seat, quite expensive.

- Any other options?

Another situation: Thai PR holders desperate to get back to Thailand to see families but must return to their activities abroad for more time to complete projects etc. Perhaps could be lucky to get a flight back to Thailand but then need a flight (not many available), to return abroad.

Edited by scorecard