Thai researchers start COVID-19 vaccine monkey trials

rooster59

Tanakorn Sangiam

8aa17cd618f3bb909cd2359ebeca4c23_small.jpg

SARABURI(NNT)-After a promising outcome from trials in rats, an anti-virus vaccine prototype developed by Thai researchers is now being tested in monkeys, with the results expected by September.

Researchers from the National Research Council of Thailand, the National Vaccine Institute, and Chulalongkorn University today started the trial of the mRNA vaccine prototype for COVID-19 at Chulalongkorn University’s National Primate Research Center of Thailand in Saraburi.

In the trial, the vaccine will be given in various doses to 13 female cynomolgus monkeys aged 4-6 years, which are comparable to humans aged 12 years or older.

Five monkeys will receive the vaccine in low doses, and five will receive the vaccine in higher doses. The vaccine will be administered every two weeks on a total of three occasions, with continuous evaluation. It is expected to take 3-6 months for the results to be concluded.

This mRNA vaccine trial is among the five vaccine types ordered by the Prime Minister.

The National Research Council of Thailand’s Secretary General, Dr Sirirurg Songsivilai, said today that this monkey trial is a significant step in vaccine development, as primates’ bodies closely resemble humans. The process will help researchers study the vaccine’s effectiveness in stimulating antibody production, prior to a clinical trial in humans.

There are now 200 COVID-19 vaccines in development worldwide, most of which are at the stage of trials in small animals. The development of a vaccine can take at least 12 to 18 months before it is available for mass inoculations, provided all tests and trials are successful.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-05-24

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluesofa said:
1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Will the researchers pay them peanuts?

hey no monkeying around this is serious bananas.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

My sympathy to the monkeys... I just can't see Thai researchers coming up with the vaccine ahead of dozens other countries with much more experience and better equip in this field...

Why not? And why less experience or better equipment? They are not alone in tests and trials but have been less distracted by the adulation of buffoonery elsewhere.

I wish them luck in the attempt which they are sharing with the international research community at each step. Not trying to corner a market by wealth and stealth !

• Like 2

The need to strictly adhere to Scientific methods which include high rates of failure and cost make me doubt Thailand will be the one to discover it.  I can't see the culture here, which places courtesy and saving face at all levels above facts being conducive to such rigors. I would be happy to be proven wrong but for now I am more likely to trust vaccines from other nations where this isn't the case.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

My sympathy to the monkeys... I just can't see Thai researchers coming up with the vaccine ahead of dozens other countries with much more experience and better equip in this field...

I thought Pigs were close to Human for test purposes.

Could be wrong again.lol

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

No surprise huh.Typical comment like this just keep supporting the well-known long- time steryotype of farang in Thailand of being low class/third class farang , Europe rejected, farang keenok... lol

ok ,Let me tell you this. Thailand and every countries need to do research on vaccine in pararel with other countries. If some countries are sucessful first, then information and technique will be shared. Thailand can get things done easier because we are already have fundamentals then we can produce own vaccine . No need to wait and buy ftom other coutries.

Easy as that but some of you can not even think this through.  No surprise.

Edited by Ratchsima

8 hours ago, wasabi said:

The need to strictly adhere to Scientific methods which include high rates of failure and cost make me doubt Thailand will be the one to discover it.  I can't see the culture here, which places courtesy and saving face at all levels above facts being conducive to such rigors. I would be happy to be proven wrong but for now I am more likely to trust vaccines from other nations where this isn't the case.

Saving face is worse in Europe and US where people are afraid and dont even have guts to wear face mask, just becuase they dont want to be seen as weak and sick. They need to maintain tough face all the times.They dont do social distancing because they want to party and drink beer with buddies otherwise they will be seen as coward and loser. lol that is so western mentality .

Then bammmm!! People catch the virus and die like dropping flies valueless animal , so sad. Western style of saving face is so deadly and not smart.

Edited by Ratchsima
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FNQ said:

I thought Pigs were close to Human for test purposes.

Could be wrong again.lol

Pigs, rats, monkeys all common species in LOS

If chimps can be included I've got one residing next door!

Edited by hotchilli