Change is a comin

22 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Care to expand on your "The most hated generation ever to walk this planet".  You sound like a very judgmental person whose beliefs and values do not line up with what the real world is all about.  Without the Boomer generation, then your generation would not have the computers invented and the internet which is just one of the many contributions, 

I am a boomer, born right in the middle of the boom, but I am also well aware of what my generation has done.

First it didn't invent computers, or anything significant for that matter.

Computers were made possible thanks to the discoveries linked to quantum theory, around the 1920s, with the first machines appearing by the end of WWII.

Boomers were hippies in the 60s and 70s.

Then in the 80s they became golden boys, and came up with their only significant, and disastrous, creations: the financialization and globalization of the economy.

Also, from the 80s on, they released the vast majority of the toxic emissions and poisons that have contaminated our soils, waters and atmosphere to this day.

Under their enlightened guidance, inequalities have reached new heights, while education and morality have reached new lows.

As for the internet, there is not much to be proud of, considering how it has zombified a large part of the population in just a few years, while contributing to the restriction of freedom of expression thanks to the very few monopolies that rule the web.

Now in 2020 the boomers are actively working on the final destruction of the remnants of what was a quite wonderful society before they took charge.

By 2030, most of them will be gone, but not after having left the world in ruins...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mr mr said:

you also created many of the issues facing our planet today. you also have the money and knowledge to fix ALL of these problems yet keep hoarding it.

i am 43 in great shape and health with loads of patience for that long wait. it will be a huge relief.

Good on you hope you do not have to wait until we collapse the whole world and universe according to you....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I am a boomer, born right in the middle of the boom, but I am also well aware of what my generation has done.

First it didn't invent computers, or anything significant for that matter.

Computers were made possible thanks to the discoveries linked to quantum theory, around the 1920s, with the first machines appearing by the end of WWII.

Boomers were hippies in the 60s and 70s.

Then in the 80s they became golden boys, and came up with their only significant, and disastrous, creations: the financialization and globalization of the economy.

Also, from the 80s on, they released the vast majority of the toxic emissions and poisons that have contaminated our soils, waters and atmosphere to this day.

Under their enlightened guidance, inequalities have reached new heights, while education and morality have reached new lows.

As for the internet, there is not much to be proud of, considering how it has zombified a large part of the population in just a few years, while contributing to the restriction of freedom of expression thanks to the very few monopolies that rule the web.

Now in 2020 the boomers are actively working on the final destruction of the remnants of what was a quite wonderful society before they took charge.

By 2030, most of them will be gone, but not after having left the world in ruins...

I am also a Boomer but unlike you I apologise for nothing.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So nothing has changed. When we were young the elders were complaining about the youth, and now we're older we are complaining about the youth.

BTW, if you were anti establishment, where are the Sex Pistols in your rockband overview?

It's not so much about my Dads generation and what they thought of mine.  What we re really talking about here started in the US after WW2 with the Motorcyle gangs and then the Beatnicks.  Further influenced with the Hippies. 

My Dads generation fought in wars they done what was "expected of them" and what they were told.  Often with the muzzled of their NCOs revolver press to their head, true in the case of my father on D-Day.

The Sex Pistols - Yes you're right, as soon as I d written and posted my comment I realised the Pistols were missing.  But to be fair it wasn't my Top 10.  And the three bands I named were far more political in their messages, better musicians and lyrics too.  Plus they stood the test of time and remain inspirational to many generations 30-40 years on.

The Sex Pistols were a gimmick a "one trick pony" - John Lydon done far greater works with PIL and after.  A true musical genius and a zeitgeist.

I could have rattled of The Dead Kennedys, Crass, The Levelers and Gil Scott Heron.....we d be here all day.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mr mr said:

this can't happen fast enough. 

Really. Just throw wisdom and experience out with the bathwater. What assurances can you give me you'll do better?

• Like 2

Things are definitely hitting the next control crescendo with having any freedom of privacy at the point of being totally lost never to come back ever again. Time to step to the left a little bit making a best you can back up plan. I understand they will want all of our commoner's info, but I am not willing to give them all of me. I will definitely find alternatives ways to slip by. 

1 hour ago, frantick said:

Daddy issues, huh?

Generations are a product of their time. Had you been born a boomer, you'd have done exactly the same.

actually i could have my dad chime in if you like ? he knows what they have done. 

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

I am also a Boomer but unlike you I apologise for nothing.

no one is asking you to apologize. simply understand what you have done and at least try to remedy it. the mindset of the new generations don't think like you guys do. an evolution of thinking away from the world that got us into this mess in the first place is underway.

the age of information has changed everything. you cannot compare this time to any other in the past due to that. at no time in human history has so much been available to all at tip of their fingers. think of the amount of information and knowledge accessible now in comparison to you guys when you were young. 

all of what has been happening over the last 50 years is well documented and will stand the test of time through history. this is why i make the comment about being a truly despised generation. in the future the selfishness of the boomer generation will overshadow your accomplishments i'm afraid. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Have you ever tried your luck as a professional doomsday prophet?

Oh, I´m sorry. I forgot, there is no professionals in that area. My bad, mate!

Several make quite a few bucks on TV in the southern US.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vigilante said:

Samsara will never 'work'

You should all have learned the lesson already, being old codgers.

Humanity is lurching fro crisis to crisis since day one.

We try to patch up the dam but more holes are opening

No political/economic system will ever work

It's baked into the cake.

So it's back to Tribal Council to see who gets the chop, then? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Nah.. in time the Covid fiasco will be but a memory like the previous others viruses, pandemics and what'not that "shook the world" and now no one hardly remember what they were...

Wishful thinking. What business owner will invest capital and resources knowing he can be shut down on a whim and for an indeterminate time, until it is "safe"? Any volunteers? Businesses are NOT coming back.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Several make quite a few bucks on TV in the southern US.

Oh, yes of course. I was talking about the rest of the world, that lives inside the boundaries of the thing called reality. That excludes Dr. Trump territory.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, frantick said:

So, two English teachers in the family?

a mechanical engineer i'm afraid. mom was a school teacher though so you are close. good try sport. 

i assume you were saying that i am an english teacher ya ? i am 43 and retired. 

Purchasing powers of dollars, pounds, euros

are set to run downhill at a rapidly accelerating

pace. Covid is a warm up exercise in absolute

control with a massive transfer of wealth to

the rich and the state.

Hunger Games, Logan's Run, Chicken Run

combined. Or....images.jpg.69c09689df52ed0090ef31d353ebabb3.jpg

Edited by talahtnut
addition