UNC Tap for 3/8 inch bolts.

AhFarangJa

Good Morning,

Does anyone know where in Hua Hin I can buy a 3/8 inch UNC tap. I have metric tap and die sets but no UNC.

I have tried Homepro, Global, with no success. Have also tried a couple of local ironmongers.

Any advice would save a lot of hassle and riding around. As a last resort it may have to be Lazada, but then you are always unsure of the quality.

Many thanks for any assistance, and please stay self and well out there.

Hello,

Have you tried the one at the corner of 94?
I have already found products that I could not find at hompro.
But you have to search yourself, because even showing the model, the employees say they don't have one.
Otherwise, you ask them if they don't know a reseller.

There was some kind of odds and ends along the little road that leads to the back of Market-Village, but I don't know if it still exists.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sirocco said:

Hello,

Have you tried the one at the corner of 94?
I have already found products that I could not find at hompro.
But you have to search yourself, because even showing the model, the employees say they don't have one.
Otherwise, you ask them if they don't know a reseller.

There was some kind of odds and ends along the little road that leads to the back of Market-Village, but I don't know if it still exists.

Thanks Sirocco,

I take it you mean the shop at the corner of the street going to the veg market? sells everything over about three or four shops. Yep, tried there.

21 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

They are available on E bay , if you can't get one locally .. That's quite an obscure thread standard now .. Is it for an old car or van or something .. 

IMG_20200524_062544.jpg

I am rebuilding some metalwork and needed 10 mm bolts, I have to tap into three quarter steel, but cannot find 10 mm bolts anywhere. that is why I have 3/8 inch. bolts.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 12:55 PM, AhFarangJa said:

I am rebuilding some metalwork and needed 10 mm bolts, I have to tap into three quarter steel, but cannot find 10 mm bolts anywhere. that is why I have 3/8 inch. bolts.

So, if I'm interpreting your posts correctly, you can't find 10mm threaded bolts in a country with metric National Standards.

If you're talking about bolt length. Then, a 0,5mm loss in length means nothing as you're guaranteed to exceed the minimum thread contact requirement. If not, the problem is with the hardware.

If you're talking about threaded diameters. Then, a 0,5mm loss is significant if the 3/4 steel is tapped 10mm.

If the latter is true. It would be better to re-drill the holes and re-tap i.a.w a suitable bolt you can buy.

10 hours ago, alacrity said:

So, if I'm interpreting your posts correctly, you can't find 10mm threaded bolts in a country with metric National Standards.

If you're talking about bolt length. Then, a 0,5mm loss in length means nothing as you're guaranteed to exceed the minimum thread contact requirement. If not, the problem is with the hardware.

If you're talking about threaded diameters. Then, a 0,5mm loss is significant if the 3/4 steel is tapped 10mm.

If the latter is true. It would be better to re-drill the holes and re-tap i.a.w a suitable bolt you can buy.

Thanks for your reply alacrity.

I know it is crazy, but everywhere I went, from Home Pro to Global to Thai Watsadu had the same thing. You can get Metric threads up to 8 mm diameter, then for some crazy reason anything bigger is only available in UNC !!!

The first one I fitted I used my 10mm tap, then inserted a UNC bolt using epoxy as the threads are close, just a little smaller diameter. 

I have managed to sort it using 8mm bolts instead, which seem to be strong enough.............Nothing is ever simple, but we adapt and overcome ..................:thumbsup:

11 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Thanks for your reply alacrity.

I know it is crazy, but everywhere I went, from Home Pro to Global to Thai Watsadu had the same thing. You can get Metric threads up to 8 mm diameter, then for some crazy reason anything bigger is only available in UNC !!!

The first one I fitted I used my 10mm tap, then inserted a UNC bolt using epoxy as the threads are close, just a little smaller diameter. 

I have managed to sort it using 8mm bolts instead, which seem to be strong enough.............Nothing is ever simple, but we adapt and overcome ..................:thumbsup:

Glad you sorted the problem.

For future reference, try Pranburi rather than Hua Hin, for things you need.

13 hours ago, alacrity said:

Glad you sorted the problem.

For future reference, try Pranburi rather than Hua Hin, for things you need.

Thanks, I tried Global House, but to be honest was not too impressed with the selection. they did not even have a centre pot on the shelf !!!

Will scout around Pranburi when all this madness stops.........:thumbsup: