Hong Kong braces for protests on heels of proposed national security laws

rooster59

Hong Kong braces for protests on heels of proposed national security laws

2020-05-24T035522Z_2_LYNXMPEG4N00Q_RTROPTP_4_HONGKONG-PROTESTS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: An anti-government protester waves a flag during a protest at Edinburgh Place in Hong Kong, China, January 12, 2020. REUTERS/Navesh Chitrakar

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Hong Kong braced on Sunday for its first protests since Beijing’s controversial plan to directly impose national security laws on the city, in what could provide a litmus test of public opposition to China's tightening grip over the financial hub.

Beijing on Thursday proposed tough security legislation for Hong Kong, a move that sent a chill through financial markets and drew a swift rebuke from foreign governments, international human rights groups and some business lobbies.

In drafting the new laws, which could see the setting up of Chinese government intelligence agencies in the global financial centre, Beijing plans to circumvent Hong Kong's lawmaking body, the Legislative Council.

The move has sparked concerns over the fate of the "one country, two systems" formula that has governed Hong Kong since its return to Chinese rule in 1997 and which guarantees the city broad freedoms not seen on the mainland.

Some local commentators have described the proposal as "a nuclear option" that is part of Chinese President Xi Jinping's high-stakes power play.

A backlash intensified on Saturday as nearly 200 political figures from around the world said in a statement the proposed laws said the proposed laws are a "comprehensive assault on the city's autonomy, rule of law and fundamental freedoms".

China has dismissed other countries' complaints as "meddling" and rejected concerns the proposed laws would harm foreign investors.

On Saturday, local Hong Kong media reported police were seen entering Beijing's main representative bureau in the city, the Liaison Office, ahead of protests expected to start later in the bustling shopping district of Causeway Bay.

The rally was initially organised against a controversial national anthem bill, which is due for a second reading at the Legislative Council on Wednesday. The proposed national security laws sparked calls for more people to take to the streets.

Hong Kong has increasingly become a pawn in deteriorating relations between Washington and Beijing, and observers will be watching for any signs of resignation to defeat among the broader local community or indications that activists are gearing up for a fresh challenge.

Anti-government protests that escalated in June last year plunged the city into its biggest political crisis in decades, battered the economy and posed the gravest popular challenge to President Xi since he came to power in 2012.

The sometimes violent clashes that roiled the city saw a relative lull in recent months as the government imposed measures to curb the spread of coronavirus.

(Reporting by Anne Marie Roantree; Editing by Lincoln Feast.)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-24

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Hong Kong has increasingly become a pawn in deteriorating relations between Washington and Beijing

I think it's not only US vs CCP anymore.

Finally the world is opening their eyes, and is slowly starting to act.

Huawei is the first worldwide victim, and hopefully there will be many more.

I just fear that the ruined economy will make people forget, and continue to buy cheap Chinese produced <deleted>.

Somebody should come up with an idea like a sticker or pin, that people can wear in their silent support for Hong Kong. I'm sure it would gain traction pretty fast.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I know some on here do not like it, but I always enjoyed my trips there.

Good food, great transportation system, met some very nice ladies.

Always stayed in Kowloon.  Would usually take a day trip to Macao on the hydrofoil boats.

But, now I am not sure if I will ever go back.

A shame.

Spot on. I go alot for short weekends. Love the vibe in Kowloon.  Like you I don't know when I be back again. At the moment I'm in london. My Security company is busy with work supplying extra Security for hospitals and dont know when I be back to Thailand.

And  this week just signed new contract with TFL to help with the new rules that will be in place soon on all the train and underground stations in london.

Edited by DaveE13

this is what will happen to anybody (locals and/or foreigners)  in HK is they open their mouth

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-expels-journalist-wall-street-journal-reporter-chun-han-wong-xi-jingping-a9085421.html

China expels journalist ‘because he criticised Xi Jinping’

• Like 1

https://sg.yahoo.com/news/democracy-obliterated-hong-kong-time-132501665.html

As democracy is obliterated in Hong Kong, it’s time for us to start speaking the truth about China

To achieve that, Xi has accumulated enough power to make a Roman emperor blush.

Xi Jinping is the general secretary of the Communist Party; the commander-in-chief of the People’s Liberation Army; the president of the People’s Republic of China; the chairman of the Central Military Commission; the chairman of the National Security Commission of the Communist Party of China; the chairman of the Comprehensively Deepening Reforms Commission; the chairman of the Central Financial and Economic Affairs Commission; the chairman of the Central Foreign Affairs Commission; the chairman of the Central Commission of Internet Affairs; and the director of the Central Cyberspace Affairs Commission.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, greeneking said:

If you believe we should know something, please don't be coy.

Tell us.

I am not your teacher or your father so you will need to do some work for yourself. Start with American commentators on the UK intelligence services embedded within the Hong Kong banks.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Xi is on a roll.....started with the majority of islands (rocks in South China Sea) now HK, Macau, than Taiwan and finalize taking Manchu from Vlad and nobody knows if he intends to come towards west, (Thailand)

16 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Why? For dealing with an internal issue? Hong Kong is part of China. I don’t like the new security law and don’t thing they will follow that thru but they are dealing with growing internal dissent. Any country in the world will react the same. 

It's a former British colony which should have never been given back. Is Taiwan part of the PRC?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Start with American commentators on the UK intelligence services embedded within the Hong Kong banks.

If anyone doesn't realise that EVERY country has agitators around the world they must be living under a rock. That doesn't mean people can't determine right from wrong ... unless of course they've been brainwashed.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brigand said:

The never ending fascist nonsense from China keeps on going. Hopefully, the rest of the world will grow a spine and wake up to it's evil empire expansion. China even gets a pass from ISIS. It is very hypocritical of the west to wag it's finger at so many but when it comes to China, it's like ... "Ah-hu-hum" cough cough (clear your throat noise) followed by "Errrm, now, moving on."

Expansion? Hong Kong was China's since Empirical times.

Apart from when the 'expansionist' British used it for Opium pushing.

If America would stop agitating China wouldnt have to do anything.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

I am not your teacher or your father so you will need to do some work for yourself. Start with American commentators on the UK intelligence services embedded within the Hong Kong banks.

Good, I hope MI6 and CIA are involved. Hopefully Trump will revoke the special status for HK. Communism has no part in the 21st century.