Hong Kong braces for protests on heels of proposed national security laws

rooster59

"A deal is a deal, the lease was up."

The lease was up only on the New Territories. Hong Kong Island and Kowloon were ceded to Britain in perpetuity. Britain agreed to return these lands to China under the Joint Declaration, under which China in return stated that:

-- "The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region will enjoy a high degree of autonomy, except in foreign and defence affairs which are the responsibilities of the Central People's Government. . .

-- "The current social and economic systems in Hong Kong will remain unchanged, and so will the life-style. Rights and freedoms, including those of the person, of speech, of the press, of assembly, of association, of travel, of movement, of correspondence, of strike, of choice of occupation, of academic research and of religious belief will be ensured by law in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. . .

--"The maintenance of public order in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region will be the responsibility of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.

-- "The above-stated basic policies of the People's Republic of China regarding Hong Kong . . . will remain unchanged for 50 years."

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Taiwan is not part of the PRC, it's an independant country and the USA/UK/AUS will defend it. China doesn't own the whole world and spreading it's filthy communist virus!

Can help you much if you don’t understand the China and Taiwan issue from as far back as the first Sino-Japanese war and the ambiguity of Taiwan international status. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Good, I hope MI6 and CIA are involved. Hopefully Trump will revoke the special status for HK. Communism has no part in the 21st century.

Wont help the HK economy very much. Already battered by protests last year, and Covid this. HK is the proxy for the spat between the USA & the PRC.

35 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Taiwan is not part of the PRC, it's an independant country and the USA/UK/AUS will defend it. China doesn't own the whole world and spreading it's filthy communist virus!

You have to be kidding. Aus is flat out defending itself against the Kiwi invasion. And the UK will defend Taiwan like they defended Aus during WW2

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

taiwan is a province of the peoples republic of china, according to the communists, who claim to be the legitimate government of all of china.  the mainland is a part of the republic of china, according to the taiwanese in their constitution, who claim to be the legitimate government of all of china.

the war never officially ended.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

There is no ambiguity, the ROC - Taiwan were ousted by the communists in 1949 and settled in Taiwan. Any normal country would let it go, they don't need a small island of 23 million, it's just controlling things they don't need to control.

Not allowed to join the WHO because China says, not allowed to join the UN because China says so. Hopefully countries will turn their back on China now and it can go back to the commie dump it was before.

no country gives up "their" stuff.

did the brits give up the malvinas?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChouDoufu said:

no country gives up "their" stuff.

did the brits give up the malvinas?

Well the argies never actually lived on the Falkland islands and we not giving Gibraltar back either. HK should have never been given back, going to get very nasty in HK now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

taiwan is a province of the peoples republic of china, according to the communists, who claim to be the legitimate government of all of china.  the mainland is a part of the republic of china, according to the taiwanese in their constitution, who claim to be the legitimate government of all of china.

the war never officially ended.

The ROC Taiwan are correct.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

China will not stop until it has crushed HK beneath it's military boot heel. 

Yes, it's all over, but did anyone have any doubts?

I'm all for people standing up for their rights, but unfortunately, it won't work in China. Sometimes accepting defeat is the best option.

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Is the South China Sea also part of the PRC, plenty of flashpoints coming up for the CCP.

I don't believe the South China Sea island building and military bases are a flash point. They were declared illegal while Obama was still president. He conveniently ignored it. The Trump administration talked about it a few times, then dropped it. 

China is well and truly embedded there now and very comfortable. The Philippines extended their welcoming arms, and everyone is happy. They let the Philippine fishermen fish on what was technically their own territory and there shouldn't be any more problems. Who's going to challenge them now?

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, tribalfusion001 said:

If/when this bill goes through and Chinese army or police start shooting at Hong Kong protesters then things are going to escalate very quickly. Tiananmen Square protests are from a different age, but this social media world especially in HK are going to be difficult for the CCP to control. I think quite a few countries are ready for a trade war with China.

That's wishful thinking. I wonder what you would do if you were there with the guns pointed at you.

China will survive a trade war. It's the other countries that will suffer - Australia is a good case in point.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

They seem quite determined in HK and quite rightly so.

Fantastic. You can count the bodies until the borders are no more. Merely collateral damage in a country where life is very cheap.

It's easy to sit here and write about it, but your life won't be at risk... as you're merely and armchair commentator... and cheer squad of course.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

21 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

You guys need to read other sites besides Reuters then you might know who id behind the protests.

My opinions come from advice given by relatives in Hong Kong.  Where does yours come from?

18 hours ago, tropo said:

China will survive a trade war. It's the other countries that will suffer - Australia is a good case in point.

That's exactly right.

China's huge market is maturing and will see it through. It doesn't need to sell Huawei phones in the US, within China a massive market awaits.

Trade wars will not make China suffer unduly, it will be Australia and other countries inextricably linked and dependent on Chinese buyers that will suffer.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

China's huge market is maturing

1.4 B population and a growing middle class and central government implementing policies for a domestic driven economy; it is a massive market too enticing for foreign companies to exit and will in fact attract lots more FDI. The only fear that China has is a popular uprising. Reasons enough to put the brakes on Hong Kong dissent. They don't fear US aggressive posturing. 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Good, I hope MI6 and CIA are involved. Hopefully Trump will revoke the special status for HK. Communism has no part in the 21st century.

21 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Why not? What's so bad about it?

Why should everyone follow Democracy when it's such f%%% up around the world?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

They seem quite determined in HK and quite rightly so.

Fewer than 10% are supporters of the rioters. The rest just want to get on with their lives.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, car720 said:

My opinions come from advice given by relatives in Hong Kong.  Where does yours come from?

My sources were just some opinions that are available from American commentators. Did not link the source as you never know these days even if they appear reliable.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, car720 said:

My earlier reply was not helpful, so sorry. I understand that the ordinary citizens should protest, as I would if younger with a life in front of me.

What I had been referring to was reports that the UK intelligence service had assets and operatives in the Hong Kong banks and the Chinese government knew who they were. The original planned law was directed at these people but as is usually the case it is a catch-all for everyone (Patriot Act in USA).

It is also tied to the Hong Kong dollar being tied to the US dollar and if that is broken there will be serious consequences for the real estate market there (among other things). This is where the violence from the black hooded protesters come in.

These are the reports that I have read but cannot say if they are true or not but does give some insight to the peaceful protests turning violent.

• Haha 1