claiming back dirt tax from ireland?

I was stopped 700 euro dirt tax on my long term deposit account in Ireland' I live in Thailand I don't work here'can I claim it back under double tax treaty, I pay tax on my bank accounts here, there is a tin number on my Thai bank statement'thank you

Did you refer to the Irish websites for information? all the basic information is there.

I would think you need to discuss with your financial institution and the Irish tax office to confirm your residence and possible application to get a refund.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/tax_on_savings_and_investments/deposit_interest_retention_tax.html

Rules

The tax is deducted by the bank or other deposit-taker before the interest is paid to you. If you request it, you are entitled to be given a statement of the amount of DIRT deducted from your interest. If you receive annual interest payments (or similar profit-type payments) of over €300 your bank, building society, credit union or An Post must automatically report this to Revenue.

DIRT is a final liability for income tax purposes. This means that if you have paid DIRT you do not have to pay any further income tax or Universal Social Charge on the interest, but it is declared as income if you are making a tax return. However, in some circumstances, you may have to pay PRSI on deposit interest you have received.

DIRT does not apply to interest on deposits owned by:

• Companies that are liable to corporation tax
  • Charities
  • People not resident for tax in Ireland (see also below)
  • Revenue-approved pension schemes

Non-resident accounts

If you are not resident in Ireland for tax, you may get a refund of any Deposit Interest Retention Tax deducted from your Irish deposit interest. To get a refund of DIRT, Ireland must have a double taxation agreement with the country you are resident in. DIRT will be refunded under the terms of that agreement. Fill in IC5 form (pdf) to apply for a refund of DIRT.

If you are not resident in Ireland, you may get your Irish deposit interest paid without the deduction of DIRT. A non-resident person does not have to be a resident of a country that has a double taxation agreement with Ireland to apply for a DIRT exemption. You should contact your financial institution to find out if you can be exempt from paying DIRT. You will have to complete a Non-Residence Declaration. You must notify them if you become resident again.

Edited by userabcd

I was and am getting dirt non residents. But 2 years ago they messed up and stopped it by mistake.i live of my savings and only spend 3 weeks a yr in ireland.i never worked in los.but pay tax on any savings in my bank accounts which I use for day to day spending? So I need to go to tax office and get the Irish formed signed and stamped ?

And some people complain about the 15% tax withholding on Thai bank fixed savings accounts which can be refunded by filing a tax refund request.  In comparison to DIRT withholding rates in the 35% ballpark, the Thai 15% tax withholding is much less/fairer. 

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/tax_on_savings_and_investments/deposit_interest_retention_tax.html

Introduction

Financial service providers such as banks, building societies and post offices, offer accounts where you can save a sum of money (a deposit) for which they will pay you an annual rate of interest in return, usually as a percentage of the deposit.

The interest you receive is subject to a tax called Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT).

For 2019, DIRT is charged at 35% on all interest payments. In 2018, the rate was 37% and in 2017, the rate was 39%. For 2014 to 2016, the rate was 41% and in 2013 it was 33%.

It was announced in Budget 2017 that the DIRT rate would decrease by 2% each year from 2018 to 2020 until it reaches 33%.