Moving to Tha Mai (Chanthaburi)

SiamGarden

Good morning. After living in Nan province for the past 11 years (and in Thailand for 20 years), next month we will move to Tha Mai. 

We are looking for a place to rent for about 4-5 months, and in the meantime we are looking for land to buy.

Since we have two children who will go to the local school, we would like to stay in the center or near the center of Tha Mai town (maximum 4-5 kilometers away).

Thank you in advance if anyone had advice and suggestions

Hi, just to say welcome to Chanthaburi.

Can't help re rental or land queries as I'm working out of the country and can't return till travel opens up again.

Curious why you've chosen Tha Mai area? 

On 5/25/2020 at 7:44 AM, MAF666 said:

We live in Soi Dao. Should you be looking for land in this area, may be able to assist. Nice 2 bed moo baan house is ~3500 per month.

Thanks. Soi Dao is a nice area, but after ten years of mountains in Nan we now prefer to be closer to the sea and the city ????

On 5/28/2020 at 9:59 AM, Chicken Man said:
On 5/28/2020 at 9:59 AM, Chicken Man said:

St Josephs is the best school in that area, one of the best in the province. 

Yes, St Josephs is a good school. Unfortunately given the difficult times, we were unable to move to Tha Mai in March and April, so no time for admission tests. For this year, we enrolled our children in Wat Bunyawas Wihan School

On 5/30/2020 at 3:48 AM, gomangosteen said:

Hi, just to say welcome to Chanthaburi.

Can't help re rental or land queries as I'm working out of the country and can't return till travel opens up again.

Curious why you've chosen Tha Mai area? 

Thank you ???? First of all I apologize for my English... 

I have liked the Chanthaburi area since I first went there about twenty years ago. Over the years I have gone back several times, but then we have chosen Nan (the other province we've always liked), also a beautiful province, and a good place to raise children in the middle of nature. When we decided it was time to move to a less remote place, as the kids start growing up, Chanthaburi was obviously the first choice, also because we kept going back whenever possible. Last year we spent a couple of months in Hat Chao Lao, and after exploring the area again, we liked Tha Mai. For its atmosphere of a quiet yet convenient town, and for the location, close to the city and the sea. Both are life choices. My wife is Thai, but she is not from Nan or Chanthaburi. I hope we can meet when you are back in the area ????

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 12:12 PM, SiamGarden said:

Thanks. Soi Dao is a nice area, but after ten years of mountains in Nan we now prefer to be closer to the sea and the city ????

Welcome to Chan. Tha Mai is a nice town, cycle there from the city often.

After over four years of looking, i finally found the land that worked for me, in the city limits but really on the edge so very rural feel to it. There are very many great properties to chooae from here, enjoy the search

• Like 1

chantaburi...... feeling homesick now. loved the area. beaches, national parks, seemingly remote areas yet just a short ride to hustle and bustle. one of my fave provinces. nice provincial city as well. can't blame the OP to look to live there. if the OP is reading @SiamGarden did you get there in the end?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 3:03 AM, jastheace said:

chantaburi...... feeling homesick now. loved the area. beaches, national parks, seemingly remote areas yet just a short ride to hustle and bustle. one of my fave provinces. nice provincial city as well. can't blame the OP to look to live there. if the OP is reading @SiamGarden did you get there in the end?

Yes, we arrived in Tha Mai about three weeks ago. A big change for us after so many years in the north, but we are happy. Chanthaburi is an area that we have always liked. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 2:23 AM, kuma said:

Welcome to Chan. Tha Mai is a nice town, cycle there from the city often.

After over four years of looking, i finally found the land that worked for me, in the city limits but really on the edge so very rural feel to it. There are very many great properties to chooae from here, enjoy the search

Thank you Kuma. it was impossible to find a house for rent in the area, so for the moment we rented two row rooms near the post office. Let me know if you fancy a coffee and a chat, in Tha Mai or in Chanthaburi. This is my facebook contact https://web.facebook.com/pagani.thailand

On 7/13/2020 at 10:19 AM, SiamGarden said:

Thank you Kuma. it was impossible to find a house for rent in the area, so for the moment we rented two row rooms near the post office. Let me know if you fancy a coffee and a chat, in Tha Mai or in Chanthaburi. This is my facebook contact https://web.facebook.com/pagani.thailand

Yes houses to rent can be a challenge to find. In the city they are around, Tha Mai not so sure. Good luck with the hunt. I do mot have FB but the wife does so we could connect that way. I do cafe every day so that could work...my wrinkle is currently i work thru the night so my am cafe is typically at around 2pm, but we should be able to figure something out, cheers

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2020 at 9:52 AM, Tim207 said:

I will pm you if they ever let me back in. My sister in law lives near that school and I am down that way often.

Yes, not easy, so many rules to be able to come back to Thailand

Hi do not want to high jack  this post .... but I was wondering what is the best area to stay (hotel) wise Chanthaburi City  .near a few bars for a beer or 2 on a evening ....I am buying new motorbike and I want to do a few  shortish runs out to run it in and  Chanthaburi  fits the bill only 170km from my gaff