What provinces require quarantine?

dkg224

Yes. I’m already in Thailand. I need to travel to Buriram then Udon Thani. I can’t get quarantined for 14 days. I can fly into Buriram but will need to travel by car to Udon Thani. My friend in Buriram said he was told, 2 day quarantine, 14 day quarantine, green and red zone. So I have no idea 

5 minutes ago, dkg224 said:

Yes. I’m already in Thailand. I need to travel to Buriram then Udon Thani. I can’t get quarantined for 14 days. I can fly into Buriram but will need to travel by car to Udon Thani. My friend in Buriram said he was told, 2 day quarantine, 14 day quarantine, green and red zone. So I have no idea 

Travel from where ?

I traveled from Chonburi to Buriram and my route encountered only the army checkpoint at the border between Sa Keaw and Buriram. I said I was going home and said I lived in Buriram (no evidence asked for although I did have some if required) Traveling on the 24 highway I seriously doubt that you will be checked. I would have thought that flying into Buriram makes you more of a target and they are likely to more strictly enforce any rules.

Edited by hotandsticky

43 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It varies province to province and for some it depends upon where you have traveled from.

A friend of my wife's returned from Bangkok to here in Ubon by van and was told to go into a 14 day self quarantine. The sub district health officer has been checking her for a temperature and symptoms.

I drove from Chiang Rai to Ubon 2nd May, zero checks all the way. My wife called the Ubon office and they told her if coming from Chiang Rai no quarantine required. In actual fact no one had any idea whare I had been or when I returned to Ubon.

I returned to Ubon two days ago  2 months working on a boat in Phuket, temperature logged every day, no trips ashore except for the Marina. 
Health officer came round yesterday. Because I was from Phuket then it’s 14 days isolation for me. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Chiang Rai is yellow. Phuket and Bangkok are pink on this map. https://covid19.ddc.moph.go.th/en

Pink means a 14 day quarantine. You can click the map to get the stats for each province.

Thanks for the link.

Interesting to see that there is NOT one province in Isaan with more than 20 cases.

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

how can Bangkok be a pink quarantine zone with so many people coming and going?

They do not have a quarantine for those coming from other provinces. The pink zone is what other provinces are using for their 14 day self quarantine.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dkg224 said:

What about yellow zones, quarantine or not?  I’m actually live in Surat but only way out to Buriram is through Bangkok. 

No quarantine in most provinces unless you lived in Bangkok. Just transiting through does not count.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dkg224 said:

What about yellow zones, quarantine or not?  I’m actually live in Surat but only way out to Buriram is through Bangkok. 

Don’t know if this helps but I couldn’t fly from Phuket as the airport was shut. I took a taxi to Surat and flew air Asia to Don Mueang. My wife picked me up at DMK then drove to Pak Chong for a night then Buri Ram. No checkpoints. Accommodation found by just driving around for a 500 baht resort. The one in Buri Ram was the Sweet Home just off the ring road. No problems wandering around Robinson’s etc in Buri Ram. The only check point was on the H24 near Benchalak, Sisaket. 
we gave all this info to the Ubon health authority nurse. No problems but she put me into isolation starting the day she visited our home. 

The other thing to remember is where are you going to stay if you do not have your own digs.

Most villages once you mention from Bangkok (in particular a farang) you are on your own.

Even my wifes folks where we stay often over 15 years say stay away at the moment.

And the village people are seriously checking & why not,,, still 0 cases

went to Khon Kaen on the 3rd of this month, a village called Khaosuankwang 50 K north of KK

No problem for 4 days and then the local boss came round and we had to do the 14 day quarantine

Lot of useful info in this thread so far. Obviously it's fluid at the moment but coastal provinces that I've heard are still possibly requiring self quarantine for (at least) people coming from Bangkok and Chonburi are Ranong, Phang Nga, Krabi, Trang, Satun, Songkhla, Chumphon and Trat. As others have mentioned, border checkpoints may or may not be a factor but if you do slip through then there's a good chance the local health officials will come check up on you later. It's best to get a doctor's form saying you show no symptoms of any illness (not necessarily a full covid test) before traveling. 

It's a different story for most neighboring provinces (excluding Phuket); for ex. a friend in Krabi said he wasn't bothered when heading down to Trang. And none of the provinces around Bangkok are stopping people from getting in, for ex. Prachuap, Ayutthaya and Kanchanaburi. 

People coming from Phuket also obviously considered "high risk" but after the initial exodus they aren't letting many people off the island until June 1 anyway from what I've gathered. I'm planning to stay put until next month. Govt. has already hinted that unrestricted interprovincial travel will start next month, although final calls are made by provincial governors so could still be a mixed bag.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 12:05 PM, SantiSuk said:

Assuming you are already living here and it is inter-provincial travel that you are planning (if you are asking about flying into Thailand Mops59 has already answered that) :-

Inter-provincial travel is still discouraged by the Thai Government unless there is an essential reason for such.

If you have an essential reason then it's likely you would have a province in mind which would enable locally-based ThaiV members to give a response based on practice, not rules.

Have not seen a source where you can look up all provincial rules. It's unlikely you would be put into quarantine anywhere if arriving by surface transport unless you had a temperature. Exceptions - Phuket (ordinary people still can't get in?) and possibly some of the deep south provinces? It is highly unlikely any province would stop you transiting through (if they stopped you - many provinces have draconian rules and little or no enforcement), provided you had an essential reason for travel and provided you did not demonstrate a fever.

Three or four weeks ago there was an article posted that set out the airports that might put you in quarantine. I remember Chiang Mai being one that would require you to quarantine, but there were 2 or 3 others, sorry can't remember - I think Nakhon Phanom might have been one of the others.

Incomplete reply but may simulate others to add info.

It's quite likely that the next round of loosening will dilute the national Government restrictions on inter-provincial travel although possible that some governers might choose not to adopt. My observation is that the nation has managed to successfully stifle travel without actually spending any money on preventing it!

"Inter-provincial travel is still discouraged by the Thai Government unless there is an essential reason for such."

This was true until May 17. Now several bus lines to the north,north east and south are back in traffic. 

Well, I used Google to translate one of the announcemements.  It needs some double think, but it is clear that this is a list of Provinces requiring 14 day qurantine:

Issuing a lenient order for 60 provinces entering / exiting without detention  #To Sukhothai news

???? # Except the following provinces must be detained ????  Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Chon Buri, Nakhon Pathom, Pathum Thani, Prachin Buri, Chiang Mai, Samut Prakan, Suphan Buri, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Narathiwat, Phuket, Yala, Songkhla, Krabi, Chumphon

On 5/24/2020 at 12:05 PM, SantiSuk said:

Assuming you are already living here and it is inter-provincial travel that you are planning (if you are asking about flying into Thailand Mops59 has already answered that) :-

Inter-provincial travel is still discouraged by the Thai Government unless there is an essential reason for such.

If you have an essential reason then it's likely you would have a province in mind which would enable locally-based ThaiV members to give a response based on practice, not rules.

Have not seen a source where you can look up all provincial rules. It's unlikely you would be put into quarantine anywhere if arriving by surface transport unless you had a temperature. Exceptions - Phuket (ordinary people still can't get in?) and possibly some of the deep south provinces? It is highly unlikely any province would stop you transiting through (if they stopped you - many provinces have draconian rules and little or no enforcement), provided you had an essential reason for travel and provided you did not demonstrate a fever.

Three or four weeks ago there was an article posted that set out the airports that might put you in quarantine. I remember Chiang Mai being one that would require you to quarantine, but there were 2 or 3 others, sorry can't remember - I think Nakhon Phanom might have been one of the others.

Incomplete reply but may simulate others to add info.

It's quite likely that the next round of loosening will dilute the national Government restrictions on inter-provincial travel although possible that some governors might choose not to adopt. My observation is that the nation has managed to successfully stifle travel without actually spending any money on preventing it!

Correct ... Phuket still can't get in except for essential services, i.e. very specific and absolutely necessary travel. E.G. The manager of our condo complex despite being the boss of our place, usually residing here for 2 to 3 weeks out of 4 was refused entry to the island about 10 days ago. He's Thai too. 

I have been told that if i leave Trat and stay in another province overnight, when i return i must self isolate for 14 days. Can anyone confirm this to be true as i was told by a fisherman's wife.  :unsure:  :cheesy: and now(fact) counterpoint ferry's only running every 2 hrs 6am - 7pm on the hour in both directions. car free so i was told.

36 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I have been told that if i leave Trat and stay in another province overnight, when i return i must self isolate for 14 days.

Trat has reported no cased ot the virus. They have been one of the strictest provinces for being able to enter so I suspect that is true. 

Helpful post.

From what's been said I should have no real issues driving from Kanchanaburi to Sukhumvit BKK, do some business then drive home same day avoiding an overnight stay?

I have no problem going back home to self quarantine on return but would not want to have to do 14 days in Bangkok.

Went down to our house near Huay Yod Trang on the 10th at a local checkpoint we were given a paper to report to village headman,the following day health visitors turned up and checked our temperatures and told us 14 days self quarantine,only essential shopping allowed,they gave my girlfriend charts to enter our temperatures each day (thermometer provided) and other relative health well-being information...came round every few days for a temperature check themselves and last saturday (we drove back to our apartment here in Pattaya early sunday) gave us papers to certify 14 days isolation and all clear in case it was needed on our return....it wasn,t.....:thumbsup:

Most southern provinces are the same.

I have to drive to Phuket from Surat Thani next month to do my passport renewal so it is a quick one stop trip at the consulate, is this possible or will I be denied entry/exit, this is really rediculous

Edited by seajae

1 hour ago, seajae said:

I have to drive to Phuket from Surat Thani next month to do my passport renewal so it is a quick one stop trip at the consulate, is this possible or will I be denied entry/exit, this is really rediculous

I fear you will not be allowed on as, I presume, it is deemed non-essential. The shenanigans I went through to get OFF the island a week ago was bad enough. 
I think you’ll probably have to go to BKK. (NB “think” and “probably” means I’m not sure!!!!)

good luck anyway

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"Inter-provincial travel is still discouraged by the Thai Government unless there is an essential reason for such."

This was true until May 17. Now several bus lines to the north,north east and south are back in traffic. 

So you can use the bus if you have an essential reason for travel. I am not aware that the encouragement not to travel inter-provincially has been relaxed. There are still reports of some checkpoints actually being manned; perhaps anyone who has been through one in the last nine days can tell us whether they were asked about reasons for travel.

What is essential travel or not is however probably a moving feast. Going to visit family may be viewed as essential travel by checkpoints now!

If you have the text of government pronouncements that withdrew the essential travel-only guidance I'll be a happy bunny to see it!