Why is 7 Eleven requiring customers to register before entry?

On 5/24/2020 at 4:22 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

Yes, lets put millions out of work, kids losing education, ruin peoples life's just to save 1 live. Utterly bizarre viewpoint.

I'm not sure that signing your name on a piece of paper outside a 7-Eleven is likely to put too many millions out of work or cause kids to lose education, but if it ruins your life, let's face it, you must have a pretty sad life to start with.

I will give the Thai's an A (maybe B+) for effort but a D for execution.  Day 1 it seemed to be closely monitored.  This past week, my unofficial observation tells me that more than 50% of the customers walking in/out of the major buildings, malls, etc, either blow right past it OR they fake the QR code scan and pretend to do. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hubble said:

I'm not sure that signing your name on a piece of paper outside a 7-Eleven is likely to put too many millions out of work or cause kids to lose education, but if it ruins your life, let's face it, you must have a pretty sad life to start with.

What the <deleted> are you prattling on about fella? If you're gonna quote me get your facts right. Fool.

Yesterday i had to take some one to the local hospital,temperature screening yes but nothing else

Does that make sense?

Some nurses and even one doctor not wearing a mask.

People walking in delivering food and coffee,no checks at all.

Like many things in Thailand,crackdowns they call them?

Just remember how long they last.

1 hour ago, Jaxxper said:

Part of the COVID track and trace. It will become mandatory so I understand as Thailand moves into Phase 3 of the restriction lifting.

So as the restrictions lift the tracking increases?

• Like 1

the government just loves getting the population jumping through hoops - see it's not just foreigners(!)... all the information on he handwritten forms will have to be input to a central database by someone? who's doing all this data inputting? who's checking that it has been done?

18 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

What the <deleted> are you prattling on about fella? If you're gonna quote me get your facts right. Fool.

The "fact" is that you said "Yes, lets put millions out of work, kids losing education, ruin peoples life's just to save 1 live" on a thread which posed the question " Why is 7 Eleven requiring customers to register before entry"? and in answer to the specific note that if it saves one life it will be worth it.  If you can explain how that is a logical answer to the original question or to the assertion that it might save a life, I'm happy to listen. I don't actually believe that it will work, as so many people are just ignoring it, but the results you are suggesting are a huge and ridiculous exaggeration.

27 minutes ago, ritchied said:

I will give the Thai's an A (maybe B+) for effort but a D for execution.  Day 1 it seemed to be closely monitored.  This past week, my unofficial observation tells me that more than 50% of the customers walking in/out of the major buildings, malls, etc, either blow right past it OR they fake the QR code scan and pretend to do. 

back in the early days of the virus i was stopped when entering a government building, i was required to prove i had not been outside thailand in the last 14 days, ok fine, however as i was doing this all locals were allowed to enter the building with no check. i calmly, politely and rationally pointed out that any of those people could have been abroad recently so why were they not asked to prove they hadn't? the answer; it's the policy, and next time you come you have to wear a mask - even though only a few of the locals entering the building were wearing masks... a completely pointless excercise, except for the fact that something is being done, regardless of how pointless makes those in charge feel they are doing something, and that is the point.

• Like 1

We were required to sign in at the Big C in Nakhon Sawan on Tuesday. My niece and her daughter tried taking a picture of the Q-code, but they don't have the app yet, so they ended up having to sign in, too.  I understood there was supposed to be an English version of the app out this week, but haven't seen anything about where to get it. I figure my great- niece will be able to install it for me. She's a teenager.

Something I don't understand, it's supposed to help in tracking Covid-19 contacts, but the sheet I signed had space for my name, a blank column whose heading I didn't read, and than a column for my phone number. It doesn't seem terribly useful without a time entry.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:12 PM, tlock said:

if it saves just one life, it will be worth it.

Then halt all travel, sports, food stands, military training, sunbathing, and energetic sex.

2 hours ago, aboctok said:

A lot of coming and going at your place. I might set up a checkpoint; I'd like to keep track of the cat. He's very aloof, he'll never comply with QR codes.

Not a cat on a hot tin loof is he? :sorry: 

On 5/24/2020 at 5:06 AM, Crossy said:

If you wish to use the same pen as the other 10,000 users, the paper option is there. I use my phone because I know who's touched it and it gets an alcohol wipe occasionally.

By the way, two of the places I've been to recently need ID to use the paper option, so Mr M Mouse etc. won't be getting in.

So I guess Jock E Strap & Superman Kneecap won't be visiting either.

I'm in Phuket and every store I go into requires either scanning of a QR code on your phone or writing your name and number down. Except mom n pop stores where masks and hand gels are encouraged.

This scanning or name writing here includes Big C, Villa Market, Tops, and Tescos I haven't gone into a 7 eleven in months as they are far to tight and close to safely keep social distance effectively. 

Names, and scanning is part of the track and trace intervention procedures, proven to be very effective in dampening infection numbers down across many countries that use it (in conjunction with other measures of course). 

Here testing might be as it is now, selective and a small number being tested due to financial constraints on the govt to provide them en mass, unlike more affluent countries where ramping up number of testing into the millions and tens of million will be seen in the coming year. This too is part of the strategy to monitor and plan effective interventions if needed.

22 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I'm in Phuket and every store I go into requires either scanning of a QR code on your phone or writing your name and number down. Except mom n pop stores where masks and hand gels are encouraged.

This scanning or name writing here includes Big C, Villa Market, Tops, and Tescos I haven't gone into a 7 eleven in months as they are far to tight and close to safely keep social distance effectively. 

Names, and scanning is part of the track and trace intervention procedures, proven to be very effective in dampening infection numbers down across many countries that use it (in conjunction with other measures of course). 

Here testing might be as it is now, selective and a small number being tested due to financial constraints on the govt to provide them en mass, unlike more affluent countries where ramping up number of testing into the millions and tens of million will be seen in the coming year. This too is part of the strategy to monitor and plan effective interventions if needed.

agree, has it been revealed how many people thailand has doing the tracing? the uk has 23,000... no tracing it's a waste of time.

On 5/27/2020 at 7:25 PM, mauGR1 said:

Once we get used to one chip, surely some will rush to get multiple chips implanted.

It could even become a fashion, chips in the teeth, chips on the ears..

There will be all sorts of chips to choose, the cheap ones and the futuristic, what is there not to be happy ?

I prefer fish with my chips. ????

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Acharn said:

My niece and her daughter tried taking a picture of the Q-code, but they don't have the app yet, so they ended up having to sign in, too.  I understood there was supposed to be an English version of the app out this week, but haven't seen anything about where to get it.

The current system does not require any special app on your phone other than the ability to red QR code (photo/scanner normally can do) and bring up a browser to the website.  The site has option of Thai or English currently.  Next week they plan to make a download app available which I believe will not require the QR code step and allow signing out after the fact if you forget or have hands full.  

Edit:  it appears the Android version of the app is now available for download.  You must confirm phone number via SMS.  The app also has access to your exact location & all your photos & videos per recent report.  As users of the non-app are already reporting spam having to provide more than an landline phone number is not something to take lightly.  Most of us do not even want to provide landline numbers to strangers.  

Edited by lopburi3

On 5/24/2020 at 3:51 PM, BadSpottedDog said:

Within the past day, all of the 7 elevens in our town have started requiring ALL customers, including Thais, to sign their name and write their phone number in a book. Another option is to use the QR code with your cell phone.

Not in my local 7-11, temperature check and you're in.

On 5/24/2020 at 2:41 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

Man, the world has seriously changed hasn't it, and this is in a country now reporting single digit or zero daily cases, that's cases not deaths.

This is all just freaking me out now and finding it really hard to see any positives anywhere. It's also clear that gov's are now using this situation to gain more control over people. Awful, awful times. 

Dude, welcome to the “panicdemic”..

On 5/24/2020 at 2:52 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

Yes, lets put millions out of work, kids losing education, ruin peoples life's just to save 1 live. Utterly bizarre viewpoint.

Absolutely...someone’s been reading “Pandemics for dummies” 555

Edited by robbioff
Typo
  • Like 1

For every one person spread of the virus this QR code system may prevent I would bet it increases the risk to 1000 more by forcing us to stand close together waiting to scan in or touching the same pen as thousands of others. The best thing to prevent the spread is to reduce close congregation of people and keep crowds moving. Even the temperature checks are likely counterproductive but it is part of the Theater of the absurd.

• Like 2