Why is 7 Eleven requiring customers to register before entry?

34 minutes ago, robblok said:

I really dont understand those crazy foreigners who have so much problems following the rules. Seems like a great system. 

But for some of us pen and paper work (we do not pay for data plans and actually interact with people rather than having a phone in front of our face 99% of the time).  

• Like 1

Just now, lopburi3 said:

But for some of us pen and paper work (we do not pay for data plans and actually interact with people rather than having a phone in front of our face 99% of the time).  

Then bring your own pen and fill in the form (i mean one complaint is that the pen is used a lot). I still think that the data collected in a electronic database is much better. 

Having a data plan does not mean your 99% of the time in front of a phone. It means you can use your phone to stream audio to your car from spotify and have a working gps with google maps when traveling. All for a couple of 100 bt a month.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Ok, but eventually this will be converted to a real time trace and track system.  You will become reliant on what others self report, so if Lek wakes up with what seems to be Covid19 symptoms and reports it on her app, then you will be wiped out the game for 2 weeks if you have been around her.

Yes I would be alerted and told to self quarantine. A good thing in my opinion. Just imagine you know nothing and you got infected by lek you visit an elderly friend infect him and he dies. Would you prefer that ? 

I dont worry about getting sick myself but worry about infecting my friends and family. I like to know if i am at risk or not. 

9 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Apart from walking into Lotus as it was a couple of months ago it really is so easy.  My wife put my name in Thai and my 10 yo Nokia phone number on a piece of paper , I show this on entry , give it to the lady who copies the name and number.  I don't touch any pen or sheets of paper just the one with ME on it.

In my opinion the electronic one is better as i have my doubts about the paper version. But maybe I am wrong. I mean its easier to use a database. Will they actually collect those papers and put them in the system and will they be available when a case is found. 

But then again I would hope so i just prefer electronics.

• Like 1

I live just outside Bangkok and my local 7-11 on just started this today. Until now, only Tescos was doing it (and every shop in the tesco mall) so I used to go to 7-11 for a hassle-free experience. But now, the same. I think it's a good idea - they'll contact you if you've been in somewhere that's had a patient with confirmed Covid. It's a drag, but at least you know!

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes I would be alerted and told to self quarantine. A good thing in my opinion. Just imagine you know nothing and you got infected by lek you visit an elderly friend infect him and he dies. Would you prefer that ? 

I dont worry about getting sick myself but worry about infecting my friends and family. I like to know if i am at risk or not. 

You're missing the point rob- you will be could be self quarantining for Lek's allergy or the flu.  Self reporting is notoriously unreliable.

Top marks to Thailand for limiting the spread of Covid19 though.

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

Then bring your own pen and fill in the form (i mean one complaint is that the pen is used a lot). I still think that the data collected in a electronic database is much better. 

Having a data plan does not mean your 99% of the time in front of a phone. It means you can use your phone to stream audio to your car from spotify and have a working gps with google maps when traveling. All for a couple of 100 bt a month.

Now 100 for what they would be paying 2000 for in the US.  It is highly useful at least a couple of times per month..

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

You're missing the point rob- you will be could be self quarantining for Lek's allergy or the flu.  Self reporting is notoriously unreliable.

Top marks to Thailand for limiting the spread of Covid19 though.

I guess you don't understand how it works. I wont be quarantined because of Lek her flue. This will only happen when a test shows she got corvid. Where did you read that people were made to quarantine without a positive test with on Lek for corvid

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

Actually it sure appears that way to this observer (but admit the 99% is an exaggeration).  At any rate have no need for spotify or GPS as decided to use the easy taxi service here in Bangkok decades ago - if living in another location might well want GPS and vehicle.  I do not disagree that using QR code is the way to go if you have phone and data service. 

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually it sure appears that way to this observer (but admit the 99% is an exaggeration).  At any rate have no need for spotify or GPS as decided to use the easy taxi service here in Bangkok decades ago - if living in another location might well want GPS and vehicle.  I do not disagree that using QR code is the way to go if you have phone and data service. 

I stopped using the taxi's in BKK after many times getting refused. Now i use grab (again handy to have a phone with data) or my own car or bike. 

I love GPS as (i admit) am stupid when it comes to roads and locations. Its also comes in quite handy when I go on trips to other provinces. 

But yes to each his or her own, i love having a phone with some data its so easy to look things up or to kill time with when I have to wait. But you wont catch me behind my phone all the time when eating with friends. If i were to travel alone in the BTS you could catch me looking at it 99% of the time. But then again what else is there to do until you reach your destination. 

I love music and i love spotify, was amazed when i really started using it. No longer do i have to collect songs and store them somewhere (and lose them) Now i can get all the music i want all the time. (dont even need data for it if you got a phone with some memory, you just download the songs you like)

29 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

So, would banning Thai drivers, but cannot see that happening , can you

The Food Panda guys are the epitome of young and dumb Thai males, risking lives for 1.50 usd per hour.  

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I guess you don't understand how it works. I wont be quarantined because of Lek her flue. This will only happen when a test shows she got corvid. Where did you read that people were made to quarantine without a positive test with on Lek for corvid

I assumed it would work that way.  If Lek feels sick she immediately contacts the app and follows the instructions. As far as I'm aware the distancing would happen the moment she self quarantines, and not when a positive test is confirmed, which could take many days.  It's a problem that has been highlighted in the UK.

Having been involved in a few digital fiascoes in Thailand, I foresee nothing but problems.

Edited by mommysboy

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I stopped using the taxi's in BKK after many times getting refused. Now i use grab (again handy to have a phone with data) or my own car or bike. 

I love GPS as (i admit) am stupid when it comes to roads and locations. Its also comes in quite handy when I go on trips to other provinces. 

But yes to each his or her own, i love having a phone with some data its so easy to look things up or to kill time with when I have to wait. But you wont catch me behind my phone all the time when eating with friends. If i were to travel alone in the BTS you could catch me looking at it 99% of the time. But then again what else is there to do until you reach your destination. 

I love music and i love spotify, was amazed when i really started using it. No longer do i have to collect songs and store them somewhere (and lose them) Now i can get all the music i want all the time. (dont even need data for it if you got a phone with some memory, you just download the songs you like)

I'm happy for you baaah hahaha

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

I assumed it would work that way.  If Lek feels sick she immediately contacts the app and follows the instructions. As far as I'm aware the distancing would happen the moment she self quarantines, and not when a positive test is confirmed, which could take many days.  It's a problem that has been highlighted in the UK.

But we are in Thailand not in the UK. They only put people in quarantine after someone tested positive. That is how they have always worked in the contact tracing before. So there is no reason to think otherwise. 

Also there is NO app, its just a QR code that you scan that sends you to a website where all you CAN do is enter your phone nr and then later check out again after scanning the code again and doing a small survey. No options to self report that your sick.

Its up to the Thai government to alert you once corvid has been confirmed on a person. So its not like in the UK at all. 

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

But we are in Thailand not in the UK. They only put people in quarantine after someone tested positive. That is how they have always worked in the contact tracing before. So there is no reason to think otherwise. 

Also there is NO app, its just a QR code that you scan that sends you to a website where all you CAN do is enter your phone nr and then later check out again after scanning the code again and doing a small survey. No options to self report that your sick.

Its up to the Thai government to alert you once corvid has been confirmed on a person. So its not like in the UK at all. 

Well, I guess we are just talking about how things may happen in the future. Neither of us knows, but I'm happy to work on my understanding in all honesty, because a system that would work only on confirmed tests is not effective.  

Actually pertaining to 7-11, it's a pointless exercise anyway, since 'at risk' is generally regarded as being in the same place for 15 minutes.  Need I say more!

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

Well, I guess we are just talking about how things may happen in the future. Neither of us knows, but I'm happy to work on my understanding in all honesty, because a system that would work only on confirmed tests is not effective.  

Actually pertaining to 7-11, it's a pointless exercise anyway, since 'at risk' is generally regarded as being in the same place for 15 minutes.  Need I say more!

So you admit that its not the case in Thailand and mixed things up with the UK. Good to know. Next time leave your scaremongering in the UK. They are doing such a good job over there ????

In Thailand all contact tracing has been done AFTER confirmed cases. 

Bit strange of you to argue both ways first you argue that Lek self reporting is a danger and now you argue that only doing it after confirmed tests is not good. It is almost as if your looking for excuses to not put your name or phone anywhere. 

20 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I visited the official site a few days ago and again this morning. I didn't notice any problems. In fact I still have it open in another browser tab.

Screenshot_20200527-171303.png

Not much use for those of us that don't read klingon. they were supposed to have brought out an english language version but found nothing so far. Would be handy of someone would produce a step by step idiot guide in english on how to register.

Personally i haven't got a clue how to use QR codes- I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one.

As for using pens what's the big deal- the nearest 7-11 to me squirts your hands AFTER signing in. If one is that paranoid you could ask for a before and after squirt

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, robblok said:

No worries old timer, its good to see  that some things still make you happy now that you can't get an happy ending anymore. 

Thank you, now get back in line.

Also there is NO app, its just a QR code

Not anymore - an app is to go live within the next few days.  This will require validation of phone number but from report today you we will still have option to use QR; at least for awhile.  

33 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not anymore - an app is to go live within the next few days.  This will require validation of phone number but from report today you we will still have option to use QR; at least for awhile.  

Ok will see what else the app does. Seems logical that a phone number is verified. Else it has absolutely no use. 

45 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Not much use for those of us that don't read klingon. they were supposed to have brought out an english language version but found nothing so far. Would be handy of someone would produce a step by step idiot guide in english on how to register.

Personally i haven't got a clue how to use QR codes- I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one.

As for using pens what's the big deal- the nearest 7-11 to me squirts your hands AFTER signing in. If one is that paranoid you could ask for a before and after squirt

QR code.. just use your camera to scan it or use line (i used line app). Then you get refered to a website. That website has English. I could do it perfectly without having to do anything in Thai. 

On 5/24/2020 at 7:01 PM, Crossy said:

Don't worry, the other stores will be starting soon.

It is indeed part of the government's covid-19 tracking system, it's one of the requirements that allowed the malls to re-open and all larger stores are doing it.

The only place I've been in recently that didn't need it was our local Mom and Pop shop (they have a sign and seating outside to use if it's "crowded") and one of our local Seven's (the one on the other side of the road requires the QR registration).

You will need to get used to it or shop online.

News in the last 24 hours, big jumps in numbers of infected and deaths in China and Sth. Korea, the so-called second wave.

I'm guessing before long many other countries will be reporting the same.

Australia has reduced infections, deaths etc., by getting very serious to very quickly get data to track and test anybody whose been physically close to folks who test positive, gov't has big teams to do the tracking very quickly and the testing. So far no real second wave in Australia but the health authorities are giving lots of warnings to keep everybody alert. 

Tesco Lotus in Samui is dong it too, the shop DIY inside also, Home pro in Samui is doing it, I went to pay my electric bill, outside on a table was the same paper  with columns for name, telephone number arrival and departure time, but no one paid any attention to it.

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ok will see what else the app does. Seems logical that a phone number is verified. Else it has absolutely no use. 

It was suggested to provide landline phone numbers a day ago to help prevent spam and contact from false flags - now the smart phone number will have to be provided to use app (for GPS tracking?).  

On 5/24/2020 at 4:09 PM, tribalfusion001 said:

Zero cases again, so just a method to control the masses with draconian measures.

Draconian? No one check anywhere if the name and telephone number is right.

An exemple I went to True's ofice a few days ago because my wifi was not working.  A (very) young Thai woman said OK put your name an telephone here, convinced it was for the wifi, at the time I did not know it was for every one for covid 19, so thinking it was for the wifi and  the wifi subscription being  in the name of my owner in good faith I put the name and telephone of my Thai owner on the paper ????

This sign in sign out thing is far more irritating than lockdown ever was and is really starting to P*** me off

just been to pay lecky bil at PEA there must have been dozens of folks milling around the desk at entrance shaking phones the poor guy taking temps handing pens out and assisting phone settings  was simply over run 

I stayed outside mrs Poohy walked around the mob and simply ignored them

Lastly Yes i have a smartphone but outside set areas and home where it works on wifi it ain't set up to use mobile data as i simply dont need or want it to

• Like 1

So you admit that its not the case in Thailand and mixed things up with the UK. Good to know. Next time leave your scaremongering in the UK. They are doing such a good job over there ????

In Thailand all contact tracing has been done AFTER confirmed cases. 

Bit strange of you to argue both ways first you argue that Lek self reporting is a danger and now you argue that only doing it after confirmed tests is not good. It is almost as if your looking for excuses to not put your name or phone anywhere. 

I presumed I was talking about a future app, not the past.  And I'm not talking about how the Thai authorities currently trace people from known cases.

I am not scare mongering. Neither am I in the UK. I am also not touting how well the UK has done.  

I confirm an app would only be useful if it reacted immediately to a self report.  So, yes any app has to eliminate the prospect of a large number of people needlessly put in to self isolation through misreporting.  If on the other hand, a report only goes live on confirmation of a test result then valuable time has been lost and many people might already be infected.  So there is a dilemma, and there is complexity.

My experience of computerized systems in Thailand is not good, eg, the 90 day report, and notification of residence systems.  You may disagree of course.

Having a procedure in 7-11 is futile as already pointed out.