Why is 7 Eleven requiring customers to register before entry?

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I presumed I was talking about a future app, not the past.  And I'm not talking about how the Thai authorities currently trace people from known cases.

I am not scare mongering. Neither am I in the UK. I am also not touting how well the UK has done.  

I confirm an app would only be useful if it reacted immediately to a self report.  So, yes any app has to eliminate the prospect of a large number of people needlessly put in to self isolation through misreporting.  If on the other hand, a report only goes live on confirmation of a test result then valuable time has been lost and many people might already be infected.  So there is a dilemma, and there is complexity.

My experience of computerized systems in Thailand is not good, eg, the 90 day report, and notification of residence systems.  You may disagree of course.

Having a procedure in 7-11 is futile as already pointed out.

I dont think that self reporting is a good thing because then people who want to destroy the system can report they are sick en masse and sabotaging the whole system. I think only verified cases should be used.

The app will never be 100% but it is just a tool that will HELP nothing will be 100%

23 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It was suggested to provide landline phone numbers a day ago to help prevent spam and contact from false flags - now the smart phone number will have to be provided to use app (for GPS tracking?).  

I doubt the system could handle GPS tracking. You need a massive database for that. I think its just used to make sure people dont give out false phone numbers.

Just now, robblok said:

I dont think that self reporting is a good thing because then people who want to destroy the system can report they are sick en masse and sabotaging the whole system. I think only verified cases should be used.

The app will never be 100% but it is just a tool that will HELP nothing will be 100%

I'm researching how these apps work. It appears they are best used as an aid to detection where someone has indeed tested positive, since they provide a detailed record of who the person has been in contact with. Unfortunately though that rather limits their value in real time use.  The Singapore model appears to be the one that is being most widely adopted.

On 5/24/2020 at 5:12 PM, bkk6060 said:

OMG 2 people waiting the end of the world.

It is a convenience store.  Lose business to who?

Just about every shop, market, mall are doing the same or will be.

Food Mart is doing the same thing where I am.

Maybe some people just need to grow up and adjust to the reality of what is now and the future.

You must remember these people are very important ExPat executives - to them waiting more than a minute in queue is probably taking away their time to execute some high powered deal.

They have a rather large ego and an extraordinary sense of self importance. They will not comply with local rules - most of them consider conspiracy theories as Gospel truth .

They forget they have chosen to live in a country- where the locals perceive them as being totally unimportant 

• Sad 1

On 5/24/2020 at 4:04 PM, vermin on arrival said:

Yeah started yesterday in my local one in BKK. I will be bringing my pen whenever I go out now.

So, let me see,  Take a pen, don't forget the Mask and oh yes, bags to put the goods in. Have I missed anything?

On 5/24/2020 at 5:12 PM, bkk6060 said:

OMG 2 people waiting the end of the world.

It is a convenience store.  Lose business to who?

Just about every shop, market, mall are doing the same or will be.

Food Mart is doing the same thing where I am.

Maybe some people just need to grow up and adjust to the reality of what is now and the future.

Really if this was for our protection Mr Grown up, then why was it not in place in February or even March? If people decided not to get used to it as you state so loudly, and just did everything online Tops, Big C, Lotus all deliver to your home. Maybe the government would pay half our grocery receipt like their trying to do now to get domestic tourism back up and running....why do you think they are offering that strategy? Hmmm

Perhaps because people are not traveling outside of their own city, you think? People don't have to follow your own belief, I'm just presenting options to the solution and inquiring about why now is it in place? Remember single digit infections, no deaths, no inbound international flights. Where is the virus supposed to come from? The birds flying in the air? We now are looked down upon if we run without a mask, ride our motorcycle without a mask. Remember is has to be spread with bodily fluid people. How many people you know are running if they have a fever? How many people you know are running or riding their motorcycle or bicycle and are sneezing, coughing, or even dare I say it, after all this is Thailand, we are not allowed on a good day to discharge saliva out of our mouths, unless we are from China, then it's socially tolerated, for the Chinese bring all the bags full of money here, remember?

No it's amazing to me how many people fall out and step in line to comply and when anyone questions it, it's get used to it buddy, or go back where you came from dota dota dota... When people resist the norm is when things change, when people follow the line is when the rope tightens. Remember when all the post were made about how we stupid foreigner would never get the Immigration to change their silly ways on reporting everytime we left our province, and had to report to the immigration office in the province we visited? How wrong were you then? It was looked at seriously and identified as a stupid unless idea and what happened? Oh that's wright it was changed wasn't it? They suddenly had a change of heart and figured out it wasn't actually necessary, yes or no? You are still free if you wish to comply to everything along the road if you like, I not here to tell anyone what to do, unlike what you appear to be trying to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had to laugh today. The name signed in before me was Stanley Unwin. Maybe Brits will only get this one.

Stanley Unwin, sometimes billed as Professor Stanley Unwin, was an English comedian, actor and comic writer. He invented his own comic language, "Unwinese", referred to in the film Carry On Regardless as "gobbledygook"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Had to laugh today. The name signed in before me was Stanley Unwin. Maybe Brits will only get this one.

Stanley Unwin, sometimes billed as Professor Stanley Unwin, was an English comedian, actor and comic writer. He invented his own comic language, "Unwinese", referred to in the film Carry On Regardless as "gobbledygook"

Small Faces - Ogden's album - Great music!

47 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I'm researching how these apps work. It appears they are best used as an aid to detection where someone has indeed tested positive, since they provide a detailed record of who the person has been in contact with. Unfortunately though that rather limits their value in real time use.  The Singapore model appears to be the one that is being most widely adopted.

Just went to Thaiwatsadu, did not have to imput my phone nr this time when i scanned the QR code. You can use your camera too no need for line. Not sure why this time no phone nr. I can only imagine that my first time login took care of that problem. It really takes just a few seconds. 

Though i had to put all the stuff down that i bought to get to my phone. But that was a minor inconvenience. 

30 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I think Stanley Unwin was South African from memory, but raised in the UK.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:06 PM, Crossy said:

If you wish to use the same pen as the other 10,000 users, the paper option is there. I use my phone because I know who's touched it and it gets an alcohol wipe occasionally.

By the way, two of the places I've been to recently need ID to use the paper option, so Mr M Mouse etc. won't be getting in.

Or just sanitizing gel provided by mall/store at entrance on your hand if you're not carry any (which you should).

52 minutes ago, phetphet said:

S. Unwin , remember this phetphet.  ' Goldylockers went triperty tritoad down the garden pathy , fell flertop flerboggle bruisy mostess ' 

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2020 at 10:08 AM, BadSpottedDog said:

I think I will carry my own pen, as the previous reply stated.

Might not be allowed ... in case it is filled with disappearing ink that vanishes after 5 minutes ! Everyone is a potential enemy of the state . 

On 5/24/2020 at 4:11 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

Man, the world has seriously changed hasn't it, and this is in a country now reporting single digit or zero daily cases, that's cases not deaths.

This is all just freaking me out now and finding it really hard to see any positives anywhere. It's also clear that gov's are now using this situation to gain more control over people. Awful, awful times. 

I can clearly see that the C19- situation is heaven-sent for control buffos - these Thais start following their Chinese Big Brother's total control !  And: This cannot be turned back, the opportunity is just too good, they will simply carry on

Edited by thurien
  • Like 2

This just shows me how easily trained the populace is. And the funny thing is people actually like this sign in at places of business. Get used to it...this is how it is now..bla bla bla bla. Oh well, now I get to have fun signing in with false names. 

• Like 1

Just now, cyril sneer said:

i've now started getting junk sms for the first time since moving here a few years ago

not read the thread, anyone else having the same?

The advise this week was only use a land line/non data telephone number for contact (obviously others have had the same issue).  

On 5/24/2020 at 11:48 AM, Ventenio said:

just sign your name Jenny Jenny and write 8675309, 8675309.......

someone will get it

good luck trying to read my handwriting.....i did sign, not print.   they were looking at me.  OMG, knock knock

Rock on Tommy (Tutone)????

I have set up a QR checkpoint outside my house so that I will know if anyone infected enters my house. I also have a security camera at the check point which I review every night to pick up those people who don't bother with the QR code on entry or exit.

Anyone not complying is identified by my wife for naming and shaming on local social media.

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2020 at 4:11 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

Man, the world has seriously changed hasn't it, and this is in a country now reporting single digit or zero daily cases, that's cases not deaths.

This is all just freaking me out now and finding it really hard to see any positives anywhere. It's also clear that gov's are now using this situation to gain more control over people. Awful, awful times. 

Cheer up. Governments are not in control. You are. All you have do is choose which to throw away - your freedom or your phone.

Now, how hard can that be?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I have set up a QR checkpoint outside my house so that I will know if anyone infected enters my house. I also have a security camera at the check point which I review every night to pick up those people who don't bother with the QR code on entry or exit.

Anyone not complying is identified by my wife for naming and shaming on local social media.

A lot of coming and going at your place. I might set up a checkpoint; I'd like to keep track of the cat. He's very aloof, he'll never comply with QR codes.

• Haha 1

My local Family Mart started doing this last weekend too, although it is just on a small table in front of the store and doesn't seem to be monitored in any way - most customers just seem to ignore it.

• Like 1