Food Charity

Farangdanny

I have seen many groups on facebook that have done just that now the last 2 months.... I suggest you google these groups, and talk to them. To me it is not that easy really. It takes a lot of time and efforts, and manpower....

glegolo

• Like 1

The government recommends that you do not donate money, rather purchase the goods (rice in 1-2 kg. bags, noodles, canned fish, cooking oil, cooking sauces, eggs, drinking water, and other non-perishable items) and deliver them yourself to the location you choose - to be distributed.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Puwa said:

When we returned from our burning-season escape, we went into mandatory 2 week quarantine at home, which was very pleasant and easy given the situation last month. We met our village health volunteer, who stopped by every day to take our temperatures. We asked her directly if their were families or maybe old people living alone who could use some help right now. Indeed there are, and she told us about 3. So every week, we've been sharing food and a couple hundred baht, anonymously. My point is that there are small and easy ways to make the best of a bad situation. Maybe not a solution for city dwellers or those who live in housing developments, but if you live in a normal Thai village, the local health volunteer can be a good ally or helping out your neighbors discreetly. 

How refreshing to find somebody who talks with people around them.  Well done.  

I bet you can usually find a plumber, electrician, pump repairman and a carpenter for a small repair job the same way too.  The wonder of being a neighbor.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dante99 said:

How refreshing to find somebody who talks with people around them.  Well done.  

I bet you can usually find a plumber, electrician, pump repairman and a carpenter for a small repair job the same way too.  The wonder of being a neighbor.

Finding a good electrician is still a distant dream. But as far as helping locally, I really have to credit my wonderful wife and her saintly, caring, and tactful nature.

• Like 2

Go to your local orbortor he will have information where food is being handed out, where I live you cannot just setup a stall and start handing out food it has to be controlled.

Dont hand out money go to Makro and buy the stock yourself then donate it, around where I live it's the farang restaurants that are doing it 

Yesterday we brought old clothing and some canned food to a nearby temple and I was reminded that many temples have set up a charity cupboard. So if you want to donate, go to a temple and ask for the "dtoo baeng bun" or ตู้แบ่งปัน.

Edited by Puwa

18 hours ago, Puwa said:

Yesterday we brought old clothing and some canned food to a nearby temple and I was reminded that many temples have set up a charity cupboard. So if you want to donate, go to a temple and ask for the "dtoo baeng bun" or ตู้แบ่งปัน.

I don't think people want old clothing especially in this pandemic but food is alright.

40 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I don't think people want old clothing especially in this pandemic but food is alright.

True, you never know where the old clothes have come from. I see dead people is a phrase you may hear

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lee b said:

True, you never know where the old clothes have come from. I see dead people is a phrase you may hear

You could just as well choose to think they came from a happy or significant place.

But whatever you think the facts are that second hand clothing is widely used, sold or given.  So a lot of people see it for what it is rather than following your line of imagination and adding negatives to it.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 11:36 PM, EricTh said:

I suppose one can always come up with an opinion, but the fact is that temples do accept clothing donations.

1 hour ago, Puwa said:

I suppose one can always come up with an opinion, but the fact is that temples do accept clothing donations.

Very large growth in quantity of opinions available today has made the difference between fact and opinion difficult for many to recognize.

So we see opinions argued as if they were facts and facts disputed as if they were opinions.

On 5/30/2020 at 12:07 AM, Bill97 said:

Lots of people with little or no money that can use old clothing and are very happy to get some.  Hell yes they want it.

You are right, infact clothes you dont wear anymore are more than useful and kids clothes and toys, down where I live the weather is changing now more rain and to Thai's its cold in the night,

One group where I live apart from food and water they need clothes before you throw anything away think maybe someone have a use for it

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Puwa said:

In normal times, they do accept non-essential things like clothing, toys but in times of pandemic, it's a different story for obvious reasons. 

Edited by EricTh

12 minutes ago, EricTh said:

In normal times, they do accept non-essential things like clothing, toys but in times of pandemic, it's a different story for obvious reasons. 

Let's make a deal. If you stop telling people what they can and cannot donate, I'll stop pointing out the obvious shortcomings of your argument in terms of both fact (temples do accept clothing) and logic (how could you possible know what people want and need?). 

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

non-essential things like clothing

Really Eric, if clothing in non-essential how about you try living without it and see how that works out for you.  For starters wear nothing on your next trip to Immigration.

• Like 1

There is a group across from the chinese embassy who hand out food every day. I gave them some money a month ago, they will take your photo. I walked up and ask someone handing out food they pointed to another man and then a very attractive lady came over and I gave them the money and they took photo. They have been there for a month handing out food.