LCD Controller Board

sensei

Is there a place here in thailand that sells an LCD controller board preferably online? I am working on a DIY project converting the monitor of an old laptop into a stand alone external monitor. I got the LCD panel out already to see the model number- B154EW02. I would hate to see this go to the dump if I could recycle it somehow.

Thank you for any possible leads.

• Like 1

I saw that, thank you. 

It appears that they do not have the controller for the specific panel that i have here.

I saw this on ebay. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-DVI-VGA-LCD-Screen-Controller-Board-Kit-Turn-LCD-B154EW02-v-7-into-Monitor/373032420284?hash=item56da7703bc:g:1~sAAOxyrUZRymfp

I might give this a try but if there are local sources, it would be a lot better.

On 5/27/2020 at 1:04 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you still have that old laptop?

Maybe you can see which chip is on the board to control the screen. And that might help you to find what you want.

Everything is integrated into the motherboard and the motherboard is beyond repair. It is an old laptop. The only modular parts there are the memory sticks and the wifi card. everything else is stuck to the board and won't work if detached from it. A separate board provides the ports such as th VGA and HDMI plus a couple of USB ports. 

My plan is to use this for DEX.

Edited by sensei

39 minutes ago, sensei said:

Everything is integrated into the motherboard and the motherboard is beyond repair. It is an old laptop. The only modular parts there are the memory sticks and the wifi card. everything else is stuck to the board and won't work if detached from it. A separate board provides the ports such as th VGA and HDMI plus a couple of USB ports. 

My plan is to use this for DEX.

My idea was and is that you look at the board and look if you can identify the chip which controls the display. Likely it is somewhere near the display connector. The look at the writing on that chip and it should give you an idea what you need.

This is a sample:

f8U-Qrv0K21DW3PLscQIXgJGb7iSvDTKJ9CTHzv6

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My idea was and is that you look at the board and look if you can identify the chip which controls the display. Likely it is somewhere near the display connector. The look at the writing on that chip and it should give you an idea what you need.

This is a sample:

f8U-Qrv0K21DW3PLscQIXgJGb7iSvDTKJ9CTHzv6

Got what you are saying and there was nothing there. I mean nothing that I can read or see under the layer of dust I would rather not touch ????

I searched the LCD panel's model number and it showed me my best option.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-DVI-VGA-LCD-Screen-Controller-Board-Kit-Turn-LCD-B154EW02-v-7-into-Monitor/373032420284?hash=item56da7703bc:g:1~sAAOxyrUZRymfp

The board comes with the control buttons and output

• Like 1

I originally avoided this thread as most laptop display screens are proprietary and chained to their motherboard driver chip. Takes real dedication and patients to re-purpose one (unless someone has already done it for your exact model. 

37 minutes ago, RichCor said:

I originally avoided this thread as most laptop display screens are proprietary and chained to their motherboard driver chip. Takes real dedication and patients to re-purpose one (unless someone has already done it for your exact model. 

Well I hope it works because the eBay seller has shipped the controller board already ???? 

I have kept this old 15" HP DV5000 long after the motherboard has died. I just could not put it in the bin much like most of my old tech.

Then I saw --> THIS <-- DIY project where he repurposed a lot of the parts of old laptops.

I gave it a shot. I was able to separate the monitor clean off the body but the only other part that i was able to salvage were the Altec-Lansing speakers which are actually good for its size. Everything else has to be recycle by someone else. 

Edited by sensei

41 minutes ago, RichCor said:

The kit I ordered:

1596673921_ScreenShot2020-05-30at7_35_46PM.jpg.8f57efb989d21998d2351dfd629b236b.jpgHTB1NIIGdb_I8KJjy1Xaq6zsxpXa1.jpg.c3ad40837113edc23e4960351c170fe6.jpgNecessary Accessories for turning this bare LCD to desktop monitor: 1. LCD Controller board 2. Inverter 3. LVDS cable 4. Keypad.

59 minutes ago, RichCor said:
  • Suitable power adapter (12V, 4A) is essential

with the correct dimension barrel connector and power polarity ????

I've got a few lying around. I am quite sure there's one that would work. Polarity would be the easiest one to deal with. The amperage is what I should definitely look out for. 

Edited by sensei

Although I am using the display from an old 17" VGA monitor mounted in a aluminum luggage, and another mini 8" lcd screen with said lcd controller board in a carton box.

Want to re-purpose an old laptop by using it all whats inside except for the mainboard having that replaced with an ARM board (PI or Beagle).

I am following this thread.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Metropolitian said:

Although I am using the display from an old 17" VGA monitor mounted in a aluminum luggage, and another mini 8" lcd screen with said lcd controller board in a carton box.

Want to re-purpose an old laptop by using it all whats inside except for the mainboard having that replaced with an ARM board (PI or Beagle).

I am following this thread.

Aluminum luggage.... Carton box. Sounds interesting. Got a picture of that monstrosity?

My Asus Eee PC 701 is nervously waiting on the side. It will be on the operating table anytime soon. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2020 at 6:56 PM, RichCor said:

I got it working! I got the board but the inverter was bent and broken. The box where the kit came in looks battered thus the broken inverter. The seller sent me a replacement for free and that doubled the waiting time. 

The replacement part just arrived today and I am just happy to give new life to a 14-year old monitor. I just need to tidy things up and put all the loose parts together.

I connected my phone's DeX Hub to the HDMI port.

20200708_191544.thumb.jpg.e6bf99b67ef2103ecaabd246b73e552d.jpg

• Like 2