HP All-in-one computer

John Hughes

Hi I have an HP All-in-one computer (model number 20-c226d). Unfortunately, the screen broke. The HP service centre said replacing the screen would cost 7,000 baht (more than the value of the computer) and take TWO MONTHS! It's a great computer but... Any ideas on where I might get it repaired at a reasonable price? Be happy to receive contact details by PM.

John

PS tried to add this to the technology section but it's grayed out.

Edited by John Hughes

The advice is always, never to buy an AIO PC. This is one of the reasons often quoted. That you may have to scrap the whole thing when there is a problem or pay through the nose to have it fixed.

You can of course source the (crappy) panel yourself for around US$100 and have it fitted for you.

In addition, it is likely in need of an SSD.

29 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

The advice is always, never to buy an AIO PC. This is one of the reasons often quoted. That you may have to scrap the whole thing when there is a problem or pay through the nose to have it fixed.

You can of course source the (crappy) panel yourself for around US$100 and have it fitted for you.

In addition, it is likely in need of an SSD.

I couldn't disagree more.

I've done tower PC's and laptops many times.

My current AIO Lenovo is the best computer I've ever had.

Almost zero problems for years now.

Of course it helps that Windows is much better than it used to be.

If it crapped out today, I would go out and buy another one.

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Who should care if you disagree? You are ONE owner of ONE AIO PC. Whereas I have had MANY instances of people having issues when one component fails. Does it even have a solid state drive fitted? Can you upgrade the RAM yourself if need be?

Perhaps you can tell your story to the OP. He can rush out to buy another.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Who should care if you disagree? You are ONE owner of ONE AIO PC. Whereas I have had MANY instances of people having issues when one component fails. Does it even have a solid state drive fitted? Can you upgrade the RAM yourself if need be?

I agree my experience is anecdotal. But for my buying decisions, that's more than good enough for me. 

• Like 1

how do you know the screen broke?

you never really outlined 'broke' as in broken screen or just not displaying

and in the latter you need to use the hdmi and hook up a monitor or projector to see if your pc is running.

if its broke as in dropped it booted it the wife threw something missed me hit the computer .. 

is it the screen is it the inverter

is it the onboard graphics

the HDMI  is an out so monitor projector or your flat panel tv

hope windows does an auto detect and displays

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:
1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

I agree my experience is anecdotal. But for my buying decisions, that's more than good enough for me. 

For me , an AIO it is a desktop computer without the case and expandable as a laptop.

It's comparing apples with pears.

Owning an HP AIO ( c021l ) which is almost the same one as the OP has.

Very fine aio-computer, not a beast.

For playing around with heavy video rendering, gaming, server, extra harddrives or extra memory I have another computers in home for that.

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Another using Lenovo (B310 from 2011).  Computer very well built and longest lasting I have owned (since Commodore 64 days) - yes RAM can be replaced but have had no need to do so and using SSD

Yes, I know. I helped you with it. 

Now it's open again take it along to Fortune Town (outside Rama IX MRT), there are a number of places doing PC repairs.

Further out but better would be Zeer Rangsit but you'll probably need a vehicle.

8 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Yes, I know. I helped you with it. 

Yes you did and we thank you - once SSD updated all has been well and appears the AIO will never die.  At least Kingston did provide a fix for that SSD system lockup issue - but not sure how many were aware of it.  But as far as all in one units believe there is a place for them as a lot less klutzy than full size units/wires/monitor in a non tech home and larger viewing area than a laptop so comfortable to watch video or operate computer, even for those of us with less than 20/20 - and at current prices they are almost throw away/hand me down for many if a failure.

Edited by lopburi3

Hope you can get it fixed.

I prefer desktop computers because how upgradable they are and i need big screens. Otherwise I would have had a laptop.

I think its amatter of preference and use. If your mobile.. use a laptop. If you have a home and stay for long take a desktop. But again its a preference.

7 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes you did and we thank you - once SSD updated all has been well and appears the AIO will never die.  At least Kingston did provide a fix for that SSD system lockup issue - but not sure how many were aware of it.  But as far as all in one units believe there is a place for them as a lot less klutzy than full size units/wires/monitor in a non tech home and larger viewing area than a laptop so comfortable to watch video or operate computer, even for those of us with less than 20/20 - and at current prices they are almost throw away/hand me down for many if a failure.

Of course if you are a bit handy and obtained the item at a good price, then why not? Unfortunately many are bought by people who don't have a clue and they end up as expensive mistakes.

7000 baht to fix that clunker is just too much. Plus it would be remiss to not fit an SSD once the case is open.

So you are looking at possibly 8000 baht to refurbish the device.

It has a poor CPU and a poor screen....and it's going to cost 7000 baht to replace that poor screen.

In contrast I have a PC from 2009, cost me £65, including the cost of an SSD. Separate 24" Full HD monitor costing £100.

For much the same amount of money as the OP paid, I bought a solid aluminium DELL laptop with an i7 CPU and a 17.3" Full HD Gorilla Glass Touchscreen and dedicated graphics card.

On the other hand, these days you can find second hand AIO for sale for next to nothing. A little bit of maintenance, as in fitting an SSD and you can have a inexpensive device for the home. 

Edited by Eindhoven

Late last year I was dead set on buying an AIO, despite the negative advice from friends more knowledgeable than I.  I wanted a large display for basic photo editing and just for general internet browsing because my eyes aren't improving with age and I also really like the minimal footprint. 

My budget was around B20,000 give or take and I watched dozens of YT videos extolling the virtues and sometimes failings of Dell, HP, Lenovo,  Acer & Asus AIO's.   

I haunted Power Buy, IT City and various Fortune Town shops but despite the money being hot in my pocket, I could never find quite the machine with the specs I wanted; there was always something missing.  Either RAM was too low and often not expandable, the processor low end Celerons or AMD's or five generations behind Intel i3's & i5's.  Lots of 500-1000GB 5200rpm HD's but reasonably sized SSD's scarce and few units with upgrade slots built in.  I began to realize that most of the AIO's I saw on sale were made mostly with cheap, dated, out of the parts bin components with little provision for upgrading and they certainly weren't bargain priced. Most still had very low end wired keyboards and mice. 

I finally started listening to the advice I was getting and ended up buying an Intel NUC with a current i-5 and a 128gbSSD with a plug in slot for a 2.5 SATA SSD.  The 4gb ram had an extra slot for expansion to 8gb (up to 32gb) By the time I was done buying the SSD and additional ram along with a decent BenQ 27" monitor I was close to the 20,000 I would have spent on the AIO but with a far superior system and the same minimal footprint. It's fast, quiet and expandable and has 2 each: USB 3.1 & 3.0, 2  full size HDMI's, SD card reader and ethernet port., far more than any AIO I saw for under B30,000.  

Edited by dddave

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 7:07 PM, Jingthing said:

Funny that JT, I have had a Lenovo all in one 18 months old and it's been nothing but problems, I will never buy Lenovo again, also problems with Lenovo laptop 2 in one, and tablet, just Rubbish.

17 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Funny that JT, I have had a Lenovo all in one 18 months old and it's been nothing but problems, I will never buy Lenovo again, also problems with Lenovo laptop 2 in one, and tablet, just Rubbish.

I believe you but that doesn't change my experience. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

And your problems are definitely Lenovo issues?  I ask because I also have an original Lenovo AIO system that just will not die and has been working fine for over nine years.  Have found it very well built and reliable.  Have you had good results with anything?  Some of us are just not computer people - and I include myself in that category.  But I have never had a computer last this long. 

Shooting Yourself In The Foot Cartoon Stock Vector - Illustration ...

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And your problems are definitely Lenovo issues?  I ask because I also have an original Lenovo AIO system that just will not die and has been working fine for over nine years.  Have found it very well built and reliable.  Have you had good results with anything?  Some of us are just not computer people - and I include myself in that category.  But I have never had a computer last this long. 

Shooting Yourself In The Foot Cartoon Stock Vector - Illustration ...

I wrote out a long list of previous computers, most of them satisfactory, then my post just disappeared, sorry about that.

I have an HP Omni 200 AIO PC that is about 10 years old with WIN 7. When it was time to move to WIN 10, instead of buying a new computer, I was fortunate to be referred to a computer geek who suggested he could update my HP with a little maintenance and installation of a SSD.  Works GREAT!

Thank you Grant.