Shell V-Power

On 5/25/2020 at 5:17 PM, alien365 said:

Id be tempted to use V-power for that journey as an opportunity to clean the system a bit

As with any additive, it is the time in the system not the mileage that matters. Put the V-Power in now and tootle around for a week.

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2020 at 4:44 PM, Ron jeremy said:

If your vehicle does not call for premium fuel u r simply wasting your money. Google it.

great utube video. Premium versus regular, any difference, a marketplace investigation. Look at it.

they took vehicles to a dyno lab for vehicles, ran with both fuels, computerized graphics, dyno tests etc. Nada difference.

in the end even the fuel execs admitted your wasting your money.

wTch it.

What about V power diesel which has no associated octane rating differentials etc.next to it.? Certainly you are quite correct about wasting your money putting in higher octane rating petrol than your car is rated for,the only caveat to that being that occasional use for the greater cleaning additives can be helpful. This is based on UK criteria.

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

So does anyone use the premium fuels? 

I use Benzine 95 exclusively as my car does not run well on Gasohol. Had the expensive experience of Gasohol corroding the fuel system. Does anyone know if Benzine 95 will continue to be available? It is getting hard to find.

9 hours ago, alien365 said:

People with vehicles that require it do.

Ferrari recommend high octanes for their engines.

It is also contains the lowest amount of ethanol  The last I heard was that in my part of the UK Esso Supreme has none.  Ethanol, of itself, can damage fuel system component materials in classic/vintage vehicles.  So in the UK I use high octane in my vehicles...two motorcycles and car.....which is Italian.

The smallest MC was left half full of it (Esso Supreme) for 7 months. It started and ran with no problem. (See below for the unpleasant thing about high ethanol petrol if left for too long).

Likewise the car.

Largest MC not run yet.

Motor mower engines are very susceptible to the attraction that ethanol and water vapour have for each other.  They get left unused for the Autumn/Winter in the UK, and attempts to run them after the "off season" often flounder due to systems full of water (if the tank/system has been left with ethanol rich fuel in it).

Edited by Enoon

9 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I use Benzine 95 exclusively as my car does not run well on Gasohol. Had the expensive experience of Gasohol corroding the fuel system. Does anyone know if Benzine 95 will continue to be available? It is getting hard to find.

What kind of car is that? 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 10:47 AM, alien365 said:

When I mentioned most, I meant internationally. I couldn't find Thailand's RON rating list.

Like you I tend to avoid shell garages as they make it so difficult to see which pump sells which fuel. My local shell has a red diesel sign above every pump and the colour of each pump handle is not clear to me as they are different to my usual Bangchak (self service :)). I went to shell that time to buy some coffee from D'oro as that's the only one near me.

I am wondering if to occasionally use the v power again though, but if the posters who have used it say it's a waste of time and isn't any better for the car then I won't bother.

I like their matcha green tea

14 hours ago, alien365 said:

I occasionally fill premium diesel, every 2-3 refills. It gives slightly better mileage (less than the additional cost). I do it mainly for the additives and cleaning agents in it. About 5 Baht extra per 70 liter tank so 350 Baht once a month is OK for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Any fuel from 87 octane all the way up to 95 octane, benzine or "so-hol", would run ok in a modern fuel injected engine because the engines have knock sensors and electronic timing advance. They are designed to advance timing as much as possible/get better mileage and if a really low fuel were used it would automatically sense a knock and retard timing. 

For most modern engines, it is very unlikely for a person (let along the ECU) to tell any difference between 91-95 octane, benzine or "so-hol", unless your vehicle specifically requires it (High compression engines)

V-power is a gimmick to try and get you to buy Shell fuel over the competitors. Buying it means their advertising worked on you. 

"So-hol" fuel is 10% alcohol and 90% gasoline, and again, just about anything will run fine on that as long as its not left in the tank for an extremely long period of time (weeks if tank almost empty to months if tank full) or using a carb. 

One thing ive seen in here is people using E20 in their engines and I wonder if their vehicle manufacturer specifically states that they can use that fuel? I would hope nobody puts E20 in an engine that isnt specifically designed for it. 

General rule of thumb is you can go higher in octane ratings over what your manufacturer requires but never go lower in octane rating.

I use E20 in a very old car, people have tested stock plumbing & injectors could sustain 30-40% ethanol, but that would destroy stock fuel filter. 10-20% no problem at all.

Last year been refurbishing my tank it's all shiny inside, outside also OK, fuel pump works prime. My car frequently sit on jack several months with half tank E20 sometimes mixed with leaded... 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 8:05 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

I only know of one station that sells benzene in my area. I sold my second car because it was getting too difficult to find the benzene for it on longer trips.

• 2 weeks later...

Must be thousands of posts on the internet about higher octane fuel and premium fuel. And lots of different opinions !

Does anyone here use B10 in their diesels ?

On 6/5/2020 at 2:04 PM, Tuvoc said:

Must be thousands of posts on the internet about higher octane fuel and premium fuel. And lots of different opinions !

There are but the problem with the internet is that there's so much rubbish in the way of things meaningful. On here people generally get straight to the point. 

Regarding your B10 query I don't have the answer but that also looks like a bit of a minefield: standard, premium, B10 and B20, not forgetting V-power too. 

On 6/5/2020 at 2:04 PM, Tuvoc said:

You have to read a rides fact sheet regarding fuel, Internet has that stuff. It seems B10 is OK in near anything, B20, not.

My friend has a 2012 Isuzu, can use B20 IF sections of the fuel system are replaced, think it was lines from the tank to the gubbins and some other stuff, not worth the hassle..