Life after coronavirus: Future of Thai tourism industry is in Chinese hands, and phones

webfact

26 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The Chinese tourists are important to the local economy in CM, however, they are not the only important tourist group. They are just one of several important groups. In per capita spending the Chinese lag behind Middle Eastern, American, Australian, European and African tourists. They only stay for short time periods, as opposed to Europeans, Americans and Middle Eastern tourists who stay longer and spend more.

That's not to say that Chinese tourists are not important, due to sheer numbers they play an important role, but they alone would not be enough to save Thailand's tourism, which depends even more heavily on American, Australian and European tourists.

Yes, that's my point.  It's the 'sheer numbers' that matter most, not how much each tourist spends.   Chinese tourists 'lag behind' tourists from Africa in spending--roughly 49,000 baht vs. 70,000 baht, but which would you want as a country--X million Chinese spending 49,000 baht each or X thousand tourists from Africa spending 70,000 baht each?  For Thailand, the easy answer is China.  

As you say, all the tourist segments are important but it's the total figure spending, the bottom line, however, that matters the most.  Even adding up ALL the spending from ALL the European countries only puts Europe in a distant second place to China tourist in spending, which makes China the most important segment.  (With your last sentence you should probably add the words 'put together').  If Asia, excluding China, was treated as one region like Europe is on the graph, then Europe drops to third in importance by tourist revenue.

It took years to build up the infrastructure and accommodations to handle the western tourists.  Then, Thailand got greedy and starting courting middle and lower class Chinese, thinking more is better.  You can’t have your cake, and eat it too, Thailand.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

I have one question for the Thai authorities..."Are you out of your collective minds". Do you realize the renaming the "Wuhan Corinavirus" as COVA19, at the insistance of the CCP, does not negate the fact that the virus was an export from China to the world. While over 100 countries accross the globe want to hold China reaponsible, Thailand wants to welcme then back by the millions with open arms. Thailand will likely get their wish. The Chinese tourists numbers might go up by a factor of 10 since Thailand will be the ONLY country welcoming them. At what price Thailand??? 

I have live here many yyears and fell in love with Thailand long long but it might be time to look for a different country to live in.... (further comment withheld as it will get me baned again for aother 10 days)

I have a novel idea. What not do a nation wide survey ( that is one outside of Bangkok) and ask the Thai people about how they feel about the Chinese?  

Agree totally but there old men that don't have long left. There going to cash in. Let China destroy Thailand 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Tourism is not returning to Thailand anytime soon. If you think about it, the group that comprised perhaps 60% of all arrivals (lower to middle income Chinese and Indians) are the ones who have been hardest hit by this idiotic worldwide economic shutdown. Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that leaves millions out of work. Most countries will still be required to have Covid letters, as the virus is still raging in many countries. And some countries will not issue that letter (impossible to get in the US). Plus, will the mandatory health insurance still be required? Will it be even stricter than before? And just what are people returning to, or coming to? Will restaurants be open? How about nightlife?

There are so many unanswered questions, it boggles the mind. One thing is for certain. Thailand will be feeling the effects of this for a very, very long time. So will the rest of the world. I predict one to two million international tourists, between the time Thailand opens up, and the end of the year. And the talk about one in ten being employed by the sector, yet it makes up nearly 20% of the GDP. Does that not suggest more than one in ten? I am not a statistician, but I think the math is suspect here. 

Bull<deleted>vl know many people with money that want to go now. They love Thailand and nobody will tell them what they should or shouldn't like. One being Blair Smith Toby Smith's trainer.

Bla bla negative foreigners bored to death 

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, gerritkaew said:

yes Chinese good for business, come on over and bring corona to thailand and the rest off the world, good job

Good? Looks like they made a very bad job to me... They came in Thailand by Millions from January to March, and didn't even manage to kill one hundred Thai with this virus... :whistling:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

It took years to build up the infrastructure and accommodations to handle the western tourists.  Then, Thailand got greedy and starting courting middle and lower class Chinese, thinking more is better.  You can’t have your cake, and eat it too, Thailand.

But they'll certainly try...

5 hours ago, newnative said:

It would have been helpful for your post if you had included all the graphs to get the full picture, rather than just the one that supported your argument.  You're right, it's important how much 'they actually spend.'  The figure I find most meaningful and important, and apparently Thailand does as well, is tourists from China 'actually spend' more, by far, than any other country.  You have to put ALL the countries of Europe together to get a very distant second place.  

And, yes, you are right that it is not always 'just the numbers...'.   However, in this case I think it is--the sheer numbers we're talking about.  Africa looks wonderful on your graph, with spending of over 70,000 baht per tourist, much more than an average Chinese tourist.  My goodness, African tourists must be one of the most important tourist segments to Thailand's tourism bottom line.  Over 70,000 baht per tourist!  But, their actual contribution, what they 'actually spend' in total,  is teeny tiny in comparison to China.  

Well, I had linked to the website, so all graphs were accessible to the interested.

Just to be clear tourists from China per capita spend considerably less than tourists from other regions. 

What I meant by not just about the numbers, is that it is not just sheer numbers of tourists that matter, it also matters how much do they actually spend. So looking at the figures, the Chinese are in sixth place in per capita spending. 

Indeed Africa can be discounted, even though the Africans spend more per capita than the Chinese, there are such small numbers of African tourists, their numbers are of no consequence.

However, the same does not apply with European, Australian or American tourists. Whilst they outspend the Chinese significantly on a per capita basis, in absolute terms they also outspend Chinese tourists, when taken as a whole, ie together.

That's the whole point I am making, yes in absolute terms the Chinese, due to sheer numbers as a single bloc spend a bit more than the second largest bloc, Europeans, even though the Chinese per capita are only in sixth place in spending. So everyone talks about Chinese tourists because of this. 

However, actually American, Australian and European tourists are more important, because, as a whole they significantly outspend the Chinese, even in absolute terms, not just per capita.

https://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism-income-Thailand.asp

Edited by Logosone

3 hours ago, newnative said:

Yes, that's my point.  It's the 'sheer numbers' that matter most, not how much each tourist spends.   Chinese tourists 'lag behind' tourists from Africa in spending--roughly 49,000 baht vs. 70,000 baht, but which would you want as a country--X million Chinese spending 49,000 baht each or X thousand tourists from Africa spending 70,000 baht each?  For Thailand, the easy answer is China.  

As you say, all the tourist segments are important but it's the total figure spending, the bottom line, however, that matters the most.  Even adding up ALL the spending from ALL the European countries only puts Europe in a distant second place to China tourist in spending, which makes China the most important segment.  (With your last sentence you should probably add the words 'put together').  If Asia, excluding China, was treated as one region like Europe is on the graph, then Europe drops to third in importance by tourist revenue.

But you see my point, if 'sheer numbers' matter most, then American, Australian and European tourists matter most, because their absolute spending is significantly higher than that of Chinese tourists.

The African tourists outspend the Chinese per capita, but their total numbers are so small as to be of no importance. However, that is most definitely not the case with European, American and Australian tourists. Even in absolute terms they outspend the Chinese, when taken as a whole. In fact Europe on its own almost spends as much as the Chinese tourists.

Some inflammatory posts, offensive posts and the replies have been removed. 

A post using a derogatory ethnic slur comment toward the Chinese people has been removed. 

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, it has surprised me some.  It is deader then dead here.  Kind of nice in some ways noise levels way down near the beach and no crowds.  But, business people and workers are suffering big time.  I would say 75% of GDP here the past few years has been based on Chinese presence.  The locals cannot support this place but after all, it is a tourist town and without them no way Pattaya survives to anything close to what it was.

75% of GDP based on Chinese, hmm, really, based on what may I ask?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Retarded said:

Sounds like life of dung beetle rely on elephant's dropping. 

Better to find different way to survive. 

You are correct.

But unfortunately Thais have never bothered to work hard and find other sources of income. They have been lucky so far but time has changed and this virus is not going away. There are ZERO guarantees if a vaccine ever been made for this CCP Covid-19 Virus. 

And if the world doesn't stand up against the CCP dictatorship more and more Viruses are likely in the line ahead of us ...

9 hours ago, DirtyFarang said:

I do not know who you are or where you are from, but, yes, you have lived pretty much under the hegemony of the United States.  I have no opinion about the goodness or badness of that, but have to ask YOU, if you must choose one:  Would you rather live in a world under the hegemony of the United States -- the way it is -- or would you prefer to take your chances with a world under the hegemony of the People's Republic of China?  Please choose one with no argument, and be honest.

You say, "I'm no Chinese apologist."   Well, that's rich!  Of course you are.  That is what motivated your response.

After living in China for 13 years, China every time, they're as good as gold.

If everyone keeps their nose out.

7 minutes ago, bangrak said:

75% of GDP based on Chinese, hmm, really, based on what may I ask?

I suspect that's a very high estimate and that the OP underestimates the impact of Bangkok based visitors,....some useful and interesting data here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Thai_provinces_by_GPP

Note: Rayong and Chonburi both 6%+ each of Thai GDP.

• Thanks 1

Thais are proud never being colonized by another country. Now they open all doors for the Chinese colonization.
Fact is, the influence of China is growing
rapidly in politics as well as in economic.
The National Council for Peace and Order just prepared the Thais to one party system like in China.
The elected government is just a sham government. NCPO is still ruling and keeps the opposition low with all forces. 
In the past Thailand fought against communism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_insurgency_in_Thailand
Now they are going to loose against the "new" Chinese communist capitalism. Actually the growing influence of China and its capitalism is not only takes place in Thailand its almost in the whole world. https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepard/2019/10/03/what-china-is-really-up-to-in-africa/#693e88b45930

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

I have one question for the Thai authorities..."Are you out of your collective minds". Do you realize the renaming the "Wuhan Corinavirus" as COVA19, at the insistance of the CCP, does not negate the fact that the virus was an export from China to the world. While over 100 countries accross the globe want to hold China reaponsible, Thailand wants to welcme then back by the millions with open arms. Thailand will likely get their wish. The Chinese tourists numbers might go up by a factor of 10 since Thailand will be the ONLY country welcoming them. At what price Thailand??? 

I have live here many yyears and fell in love with Thailand long long but it might be time to look for a different country to live in.... (further comment withheld as it will get me baned again for aother 10 days)

Feel free. What about you own country? Not welcome there?

23 minutes ago, Logosone said:

But you see my point, if 'sheer numbers' matter most, then American, Australian and European tourists matter most, because their absolute spending is significantly higher than that of Chinese tourists.

The African tourists outspend the Chinese per capita, but their total numbers are so small as to be of no importance. However, that is most definitely not the case with European, American and Australian tourists. Even in absolute terms they outspend the Chinese, when taken as a whole. In fact Europe on its own almost spends as much as the Chinese tourists.

You're making the argument that European, American, and Australian tourists 'matter most', in your words, because the combined spending of these three segments totals 641,318 millions.  True, more than China's single segment of 543,707 millions.  (I think to be fair in assessing which tourists 'matter most', the graph really should be tourist spending by country rather than region. )  

However, using your combination method, if you combine the three non-China Asian segments--ASEAN, Rest East Asia, and South Asia, you get 677, 210 millions.  While you might want American, European, and Australian tourists to 'matter most', adding all three together comes up short at 641,318 millions.  Adding China to the other Asian segments gets you a whopping 1,220,917 millions.  So, it seems clear that tourists from Asian countries are actually the ones that 'matter most'--but tourists from Europe and other regions are certainly still important.  

11 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Haven't you figuRed out how to start your own orgy yet so you want butt in to other peoples!  They probably won't mind Richard...as long as you get involved.

I did but i was the only one who turned up dah

1 hour ago, newnative said:

You're making the argument that European, American, and Australian tourists 'matter most', in your words, because the combined spending of these three segments totals 641,318 millions.  True, more than China's single segment of 543,707 millions.  (I think to be fair in assessing which tourists 'matter most', the graph really should be tourist spending by country rather than region. )  

However, using your combination method, if you combine the three non-China Asian segments--ASEAN, Rest East Asia, and South Asia, you get 677, 210 millions.  While you might want American, European, and Australian tourists to 'matter most', adding all three together comes up short at 641,318 millions.  Adding China to the other Asian segments gets you a whopping 1,220,917 millions.  So, it seems clear that tourists from Asian countries are actually the ones that 'matter most'--but tourists from Europe and other regions are certainly still important.  

Very well said.  Thais are smart enough to know what is important to them.  To say otherwise, it is utterly arrogant and ignorant.

Inter region travel within asia is closer and will be first to recover.  Once these low risk and closeby Asians come, the international travel protocal can be set and this will smooth the entry of all foreigners.  A win for everyone really.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, baansgr said:

China's economy is down the crapper...they ain't gonna be travelling too much

No, that's AMERICA you are thinking of.

20+% unemployment, Trump Bigly Depression.

Meanwhile, South Korea which had its first Coronavirus test positive on the same day January 21...

Is under 5% unemployment.

Unemployed people usually don't go on vacations to foreign countries unless they're credit card cowboys. ????

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Tourism is not returning to Thailand anytime soon. If you think about it, the group that comprised perhaps 60% of all arrivals (lower to middle income Chinese and Indians) are the ones who have been hardest hit by this idiotic worldwide economic shutdown. Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that leaves millions out of work. Most countries will still be required to have Covid letters, as the virus is still raging in many countries. And some countries will not issue that letter (impossible to get in the US). Plus, will the mandatory health insurance still be required? Will it be even stricter than before? And just what are people returning to, or coming to? Will restaurants be open? How about nightlife?

Mike, the Chinese will likely get waivers on all that including visas.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kohkah said:

Thais are proud never being colonized by another country. Now they open all doors for the Chinese colonization.
Fact is, the influence of China is growing
rapidly in politics as well as in economic.
The National Council for Peace and Order just prepared the Thais to one party system like in China.
The elected government is just a sham government. NCPO is still ruling and keeps the opposition low with all forces. 

Not being colonised was deft Franco/Brit-buffer negotiation of course, but yes today it is a sino-esque authoritarian state in all but name. Very sad to see beloved Thai go this way. As to the op, aside from the obvious ongoing corruption, you can see why they tout the Chinese to kick off tourism again as numbers from elsewhere will be few.

• Like 1

It seems as though China has been tried and sentenced by the collective Western media and that anything they do will anywhere will only compound the problem, the virus, the South China Sea, Hong Kong and of course now, their role as tourists! There's no doubt the Chinese have become the worlds whipping boy and people are lapping it up. It's been a very successful media campaign to deflect attention from other things that are happening in the West, personally I've no idea what to believe on some of these points but I'm pretty certain China isn't the bad guy on every issue, all of the time.

20 minutes ago, Trillian said:

It seems as though China has been tried and sentenced by the collective Western media and that anything they do will anywhere will only compound the problem, the virus, the South China Sea, Hong Kong and of course now, their role as tourists! There's no doubt the Chinese have become the worlds whipping boy and people are lapping it up. It's been a very successful media campaign to deflect attention from other things that are happening in the West, personally I've no idea what to believe on some of these points but I'm pretty certain China isn't the bad guy on every issue, all of the time.

Hold that thought for the next time you get surrounded by them at 7/11!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Nobody will come as long as borders are closed. Very few will come if there is a 14 day quarantine in Thailand or their home country on return or if they have to show a test within 3 days of departure (buy a ticket and then not sure if you can travel)

They will remove the quarantine requirement for Chinese visitors. There is already talk of this. My expectation is that the test requirement will weaken too. Probably, an attestation by the person that they are not sick and/or have insurance of some sort. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Hold that thought for the next time you get surrounded by them at 7/11!

I've lived and worked in Beijing for two years and I'm now on secondment in Bangkok, I work with Chinese people and have several Chinese friends, my experience of them is that there is far more that binds us than separates us.

I understand the frustration some people may feel by living in tourist towns and being subject to tour groups and all that entails. But to be honest, it's a very narrow view, the fact is many are first time tourists whereas the expats posting here are a more experienced variety. I imagine the residents of Marbella, Malaga and Torremolinos probably felt the same way when plane hoards of British and Germans tourists on package tourists began arriving in the 1970's.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Trillian said:

I've lived and worked in Beijing for two years and I'm now on secondment in Bangkok, I work with Chinese people and have several Chinese friends, my experience of them is that there is far more that binds us than separates us.

I understand the frustration some people may feel by living in tourist towns and being subject to tour groups and all that entails. But to be honest, it's a very narrow view, the fact is many are first time tourists whereas the expats posting here are a more experienced variety. I imagine the residents of Marbella, Malaga and Torremolinos probably felt the same way when plane hoards of British and Germans tourists on package tourists began arriving in the 1970's.

Happy you feel bound to your Chinese friends but I,m guessing they behave like civilised human beings. Perhaps for your next secondment you may consider HK!

21 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Happy you feel bound to your Chinese friends but I,m guessing they behave like civilised human beings. Perhaps for your next secondment you may consider HK!

I already served four years there and would happily go back but I doubt it will happen.