Johnson risks party wrath to back aide who crossed UK during lockdown

webfact

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Personally no I wouldnt describe anyone as short and fat. 

But you keep trying to drive this theory that this is a left v right or leave v remain issue.

It is not. It is a question of right or wrong. Descent people on both sides of those arguments I listed above are all of the opinion that Cummings did the wrong thing.

Did you see anyone defend the Scottish health official when she had to resign for ignoring her own advice? Sorry her name escapes me for the moment but you know who I mean.

No it was pretty much universally agreed she had made a bad decision and had to resign.

Now I know you are a Johnson fan and want to see him do well. But defending Cummings actions is going to be a millstone around his neck. Any story involving Cummings in the future is going to mention his actions during the shutdown.

Does Johnson, with all the other problems he is facing, need that baggage? 

Before or after you saw #107?

7 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I voted Leave actually. Just pointing out that Francois is short and fat, and Cummings is a knob. I call it adding intellectual substance to the debate.

Have to disagree. In the words of the late Eric Morecambe, Francois is "short, fat and hairy", whereas Cummings, in my vernacular, would be a "bell end".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Personally no I wouldnt describe anyone as short and fat. 

But you keep trying to drive this theory that this is a left v right or leave v remain issue.

It is not. It is a question of right or wrong. Descent people on both sides of those arguments I listed above are all of the opinion that Cummings did the wrong thing.

Did you see anyone defend the Scottish health official when she had to resign for ignoring her own advice? Sorry her name escapes me for the moment but you know who I mean.

No it was pretty much universally agreed she had made a bad decision and had to resign.

Now I know you are a Johnson fan and want to see him do well. But defending Cummings actions is going to be a millstone around his neck. Any story involving Cummings in the future is going to mention his actions during the shutdown.

Does Johnson, with all the other problems he is facing, need that baggage? 

Yes you're correct, I'm sure it is just coincidence that all the remainers are baying for Doms blood.

The Scottish Lady that resigned was on her way to her holiday cottage and can't be likened to Doms mission of mercy, although you would have to take that up with Mrs Sturgeon, didn't she request her resignation.

I am not a "Johnson Fan," I may have a signed photo of him in every room of my house, except the loos obviously, but that doesn't necessary make me a fan.

With an eighty seat majority I think Boris has plenty of slack to play with, it is possible that without Dom their may be less Tory MPs than there is now. Nobody can deny that Dom has worked wonders for the Tory Party, I know that isn't much concellation if you are not a Tory voter, but to take seats away from Labour in their heartlands is nothing short of a miracle. The Tories will not want to let Dom go, believe me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

- The VRN could easily have been obtained after a cursory glance at YT etc or by the sort of journalist that stooped to access a murder victims phone.

- How can plod do so without breaching PACE, GDPR, Human rights legislation or other measures aimed at protecting individual rights & keeping lynch mobs at bay?

This is nowhere near as cut and dried as you'd have us believe.

The police can access the DVLA database, no matter how the VRN was recorded, at any time they like. See Release of information from DVLA’s registers.

As for CCTV cameras; most CCTV in public areas is owned and operated by the local authority; most of whom would not have a problem with granting police requests to view it. For an example, see CCTV: procedures for the release of evidence from the LB of Tower Hamlets. If the CCTV is privately operated then it is up to the owner whether or not they comply with a request from the police, or wait for the police to obtain a warrant. Most people obviously do the former. See Do I Have to Give CCTV Recordings to the Police?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

The Scottish Lady that resigned was on her way to her holiday cottage and can't be likened to Doms mission of mercy, although you would have to take that up with Mrs Sturgeon, didn't she request her resignation.

Mission of mercy, what a load of rollocks, he broke the rules set out by his mate the PM. Clearly the covid-19 crisis was not that serious after all, which some of us knew anyway.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

The police can access the DVLA database, no matter how the VRN was recorded, at any time they like. See Release of information from DVLA’s registers.

As for CCTV cameras; most CCTV in public areas is owned and operated by the local authority; most of whom would not have a problem with granting police requests to view it. For an example, see CCTV: procedures for the release of evidence from the LB of Tower Hamlets. If the CCTV is privately operated then it is up to the owner whether or not they comply with a request from the police, or wait for the police to obtain a warrant. Most people obviously do the former. See Do I Have to Give CCTV Recordings to the Police?

Appreciated 49 but my point was that a VRN on a car in a car park and the fact that the car & family were there in the first place has yet to be independently established & if it ever is they'll also need to establish that an offence has occurred. During an interview with Tom Harwood this morning the BBC were made to look very stupid when he ran rings around them, throwing 4x labour examples over his shoulder as he did so.

13 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Whatever does the success or otherwise of the Olympics have to do with the man's proven history of telling porkies? You're scraping the bottom of the barrel with that piece of deflection.

What about the legacy from those Olympics? Quite a costly mess was made of the stadium deal.

what about the water cannons that he purchased for nearly half a million despite his own legal team telling them that they couldn't be used in England?

You'll need a 6" pot:

image.jpeg.89be4475432b0d259c8ef1bc3fda698b.jpeg

6 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Cummings and his wife both had symptoms and a son with special needs. His family was in Durham...what was he supposed to do? I think most parents would have done the same

Most parents would have been stopped by the police if taking a long journey like that.

He won't quit later on, so this will rumble on and on...

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

It was his predecessor Ken Livingstone who was London mayor when we bid for and secured the 2012 Olympics for London in 2005.

The London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (LOCOG) was created to oversee the staging of the Games after the success of the bid, and held its first board meeting on 3 October 2005.

All planning for infrastructure etc. was in place by the end of 2006, some of the work having started.

Johnson became London mayor on 1st May 2008.

Didn't stop him from taking all the credit, though. Nor making a fool of himself at the Beijing closing ceremony!

Johnson went to the 2008 closing ceremony to pick up the 'we're next' accolades & AFAIR he was also in Singapore with Beckham & Seb Coe pitching for the bid which ultimately succeeded.

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Appreciated 49 but my point was that a VRN on a car in a car park and the fact that the car & family were there in the first place has yet to be independently established & if it ever is they'll also need to establish that an offence has occurred. During an interview with Tom Harwood this morning the BBC were made to look very stupid when he ran rings around them, throwing 4x labour examples over his shoulder as he did so.

I saw that interview live.

Harwood mentioned a Labour MP, to which the presenter attempted to say "In the interests of balance...." only to have Harwood shout over him.

If you call that having rings run around him, you are really desperate!

Very noticeable that you are ignoring the comments of Tim Montgomerie, interviewed at the same time.

From Montgomerie's twitter account:

Well done . Putting principle and readers before political allegiance.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Cummings and his wife both had symptoms and a son with special needs. His family was in Durham...what was he supposed to do? I think most parents would have done the same

Cummings didn't have symptoms at the time. His wife's family live in London.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Johnson went to the 2008 closing ceremony to pick up the 'we're next' accolades &

Indeed, and made himself a laughing stock.

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

& AFAIR he was also in Singapore with Beckham & Seb Coe pitching for the bid which ultimately succeeded

If he was, then it would have been in his capacity as a journalist, not as a member of the official negotiating team.

Boris Johnson may have been London’s cheerleader in 2012 but he did not ‘deliver the Olympics’. Far from it

Anyone who knows anything about the delivery of the Olympics, and there are hundreds such people around, if not thousands, has the same reaction to this apparent truth. It is to laugh. Boris Johnson himself is among those people. I would be incredibly surprised if his own private reaction to the idea he “delivered the Olympics” would be to anything but chuckle to himself.

But this a diversion, so you can try and big up Johnson over this again if you like, but the truth is there for all to see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Very noticeable that you are ignoring the comments of Tim Montgomerie, interviewed at the same time.

It's presumably also very noticeable that i'm in Thailand & only saw/paid attention to the piece I offered to counter your earlier claim & that I was too busy putting fires out here to have bothered watching live.

Andrew Pearce of the DM put the boot in on GMB but I hadn't thought to mention that yet either. If any of you are struggling as to where I actually stand on this matter I am not exactly a fan of Cummings & nor to I agree to MSMs politically motivated pile on.

Do you recall a similar scrum involving the Mogg & family not so long ago or Farages milkshake?

• Like 1

Just now, BillStrangeOgre said:

As i understand it he and his wife both had symptoms when they left for Durham. Do you have a source otherwise? Any evidence his wife's family live in London and can look after a 4 year old with special needs?

Yes and yes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Indeed, and made himself a laughing stock.

If he was, then it would have been in his capacity as a journalist, not as a member of the official negotiating team.

Boris Johnson may have been London’s cheerleader in 2012 but he did not ‘deliver the Olympics’. Far from it

But this a diversion, so you can try and big up Johnson over this again if you like, but the truth is there for all to see.

My reply was off the cuff & from memory. Trawling for evidence in support of such trivia is not something I would normally waste time on.

Edited by evadgib
  • Haha 1

Several posters in this topic have mentioned Cummings' son's autism. I cannot find any mention of same in any biography, official or otherwise, of Cummings nor Wakefield.

Neither Cummings nor Downing Street appear to have mentioned it in their excuses for the journey.

Wakefield doesn't mention it in her lengthy Spectator article on their ordeal while both were suffering from the virus. (The article is behind a paywall, but is quoted in this article from the Mail.)

Very odd, if, as said, autism provides the perfect excuse for making the trip; despite other family members and childcare alternatives being available to them in London.

Not only that, in that article, Wakefield makes no mention of the trip to her husband's parents; no mention of that trip being so her husband's family could care for her son; not once. Considering all the other minute details she went into in that article, such as "The little oxygen reader we'd bought on Amazon" that seems a little odd.

Instead she describes in great length how the boy helped in nursing his father! How did he manage that if both his parents were in self isolation and he was being cared for by his father's family?

It seems that Cummings and Wakefield have failed to get their stories straight! Maybe, despite being it's commissioning editor, she forgot what she told The Spectator.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

My reply was off the cuff & from memory.

You once again have trawled the internet for yet another stick to hammer your point home with in this latest attempt to propel yourself into pole position.

Get a life 49 & learn the art of bantering which in the main is far more enjoyable in the long run.

I like to find sources to provide evidence for the facts I post.

You should try it some time. You wouldn't have to make pathetic climb downs like the above so often were you to so do.

No doubt you will now post a comment you believe proves you to be my superior in both wit and intellect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1