Non-O Retirement Renewal: Stuck outside Thailand

8 hours ago, eppic said:

Thanks for this, I have a follow-on question related to the two-step process from within Thailand.

Any firm information (or educated guesses) if it would still be possible to do a conversion from visa exempt to a non-O for purpose of retirement?  In theory, if the visa exemption has now been extended by decree until 31 July, I could do one or both of the following:

a) apply for a 30 day extension, since we did not extend previously (our entry exemption stamp was Apr 6), if this is still allowed.  This would extend us until 30 Aug.

b) before August 15 (or July 16 if no additional extension allowed), deposit 800k thb and apply for a conversion to a non-O for purpose of retirement.  This would give us another 90 days (or 75 depending on when the clock starts), for a total of 3-4 months additional time.  If we have no intention to apply for a 1-year extension, I believe I could quickly round trip the 800k baht into and back out of my Thailand bank account. Otherwise, we could keep the money in Thailand just in case we need to change our plans again.

Any obvious issues with this approach?  (again, I know we will need to rely on educated guesses).

In your earlier post to which I responded (#29) you mentioned that you let the due date for your retirement extension slip.  So I am not 100% sure but I think that you cannot apply for an extension of stay anymore, and that you will be forced to leave the country once the borders are open again (by the end of the Amnesty).  Maybe @ubonjoe can confirm this?

If so my original response (#29) would be the best way to proceed.

Otherwise, if IO would be inclined to provide you with a 30-day extension of stay at the end of the Amnesty, your suggested approach would work.

>> I did sent you PM a comprehensive guideline document outlining all options/details to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O retirement Visa at your local IO.  Might be useful as it explains in detail the various options to meet the financial requirements (the 800K money-in-bank method being just one of the possible options).

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to  your Profile when logged-in to the Forum.

Edited by Peter Denis

8 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

In your earlier post to which I responded (#29) you mentioned that you let the due date for your retirement extension slip.  So I am not 100% sure but I think that you cannot apply for an extension of stay anymore, and that you will be forced to leave the country once the borders are open again (by the end of the Amnesty).  Maybe @ubonjoe can confirm this?

If so my original response (#29) would be the best way to proceed.

Otherwise, if IO would be inclined to provide you with a 30-day extension of stay at the end of the Amnesty, your suggested approach would work.

>> I did sent you PM a comprehensive guideline document outlining all options/details to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O retirement Visa at your local IO.  Might be useful as it explains in detail the various options to meet the financial requirements (the 800K money-in-bank method being just one of the possible options).

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to  your Profile when logged-in to the Forum.

Actually, we asked the IO to void the previous retirement extension on last entry (it was expiring within a few days) so we entered on a 30-day exemption. I would assume I could just reapply for the retirement conversion, if the process I outlined is allowed -- not sure if anyone knows for certain how the covid extension will be treated.  If it's treated the same as a normal extension of our visa exemption, logic would indicate we could go forward with a conversion to a 90-day non-O (retirement).

Thanks very much for the document in your PM. It's nice to have this information in one place rather than having to repeatedly search for it, so your guideline is a great service to this forum

• Like 1