Smokers beware: You'll be fined 5,000 baht if caught lighting up in bus stations and markets nationwide

webfact

1 hour ago, berybert said:

Should people who leave home without underwear on also be deported if they are not Thai ?

So that law does not apply to Thais? I just treat it like any other law I don't like, I just don't obey it.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I have absolutely no idea if Covid can stick to smoke the same as droplets of water, not being up on this subject. Hence my question.

My understanding is if you're invaded by C V it initially sets up camp in the back of the throat .. but if you smoke they are getting blasted by an intake and then exhale of hot toxic smoke every time you have a fag making it difficult for them to settle into their new surroundings .. There does seem to be some evidence supporting the fact that smokers are not getting it as bad as non chuffers but there's been no scientific study yet I don't think .. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr Chaiyanan Sitthibut and his team along with anti alcohol groups

In recent times, I have stated that I believe there is an influential Temperance Society within the Thai "establishment' - just goes to show!!

As for smoking, I personally believe it is a disgusting habit and harmful to one's health. As a former forensic scientist, I have had the displeasure of inspecting the dissected lungs of smokers during autopsies - to see the dark brown "tars" exuding is not nice!

7 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

I thought I read the other day that c19 doesn't like smoke. Or was it smokers are safer from C19 ?

Smokers are about 1.8 times more likely to die from the virus. It's a huge risk factor.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

I will probably be criticised for saying this by some smokers here but smoking helps to spread the virus faster as the smoke carries it away.

What rubbish! The Covid 19 virus is spread by droplets of moisture from coughing or sneezing either being breathed in or falling on surfaces and then being touched by others. How many droplets does smoke contain? None!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Unify said:

Smokers are about 1.8 times more likely to die from the virus. It's a huge risk factor.

Yeah right! "Doctor I have a pain in my thumb" - "How many cigarettes do you smoke?"

Same old same old - smoking is to blame for all illnesses...... poppycock!

• Like 1

Wow, so much hate.

Let's ban everything that we don't like or do.

Smoking, vaping, alcohol, crop burning, burning the detritus in the garden or uneaten foodstuffs and packaging, plastics, dirty old busses and lorries, factories, powerplants.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Tobacco kills more than 8 million people globally every year. More than 7 million of these deaths are from direct tobacco use and around 1.2 million are due to non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke.

I'm not disagreeing with your figures (although the secondhand smoke issue is contentious) but you wish to ban smoking completely. Whilst I agree that nobody else should have to breathe in my smoke - that is not the issue. The issue is your statement that smoking should be banned.

Provided I don't harm others, I have just as much right to smoke as you have not to.  I am aware of the risks, just as I'm aware that every time I cross the road, every time I get in my car........I'm at risk.

By the way, if smoking is as filthy and harmful as you say it is, please explain how my grandfather lived to 89 years old - most of his life smoking 60 Capstan full strength per day. The fact is that some people are genetically pre-disposed to lung disease. whilst others are not. Those that are, need to avoid all types of air pollution - not just smoking.

I note you failed to reply to my comments regarding anti smoking policies in Thailand vs Air Pollution. Why? I suspect its simply because your just plain anti smoking and think you have the right to impose your views on others.

And by the way, not even the WHO know enough about Covid 19 to comment on the effects of smoking/Covid 19 yet - nobody does, as we are told almost every day.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, EricTh said:

I will probably be criticised for saying this by some smokers here but smoking helps to spread the virus faster as the smoke carries it away.

The truth is that I can smell cigar smoke 2 to 3 meters away. That's how far it can travel.

That's bs. The air you breath spreads just the same as smoke, only it's clear so you can't see it.

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I'm here.

Smoking:  Probably the most disgusting legal addiction in the world. 

Tobacco kills an estimated 8 million people in the world each year and puts a tremendous drain on our health care systems.

It should be banned permanently worldwide for the betterment of the health of our society.

Awww .... but I seem to remember when I was younger and so was she, it was so sexy when Katherine Deneuve smoked ... LOL ????

20 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I guess they did not do any research......Smoking INSIDE the bus station has already been banned for a long time.......Everyone goes out to the far edges of the parking lot to smoke......I dont see this changing at all.........99% of the smokers are employees and bus drivers who will not be paying Jack.........So they are really going to have to work hard to snag a few farang honeypots to milk...lol

Just go to any bar in Pattaya there's enough ignorant farangs getting their fix every day to fill the coffers of the council for a year.  Take note officials of Pattaya City Council I'm talking to you

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

At least it becomes visible and you can dodge the cloud!

On 5/25/2020 at 9:47 AM, EricTh said:

Is interprovincial travel allowed yet?

Been allowed for a while with a Fit to Travel notice a friend of mine has been running a minivan service to BKK for weeks

17 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Yeah right! "Doctor I have a pain in my thumb" - "How many cigarettes do you smoke?"

Same old same old - smoking is to blame for all illnesses...... poppycock!

The doctor asked me do I smoke, I said no I eat them

• Haha 1

How many people die from smoking cigarettes?

• Smoking is the direct cause of one of every five deaths in the U.S. That translates to roughly 480,000 deaths annually, 1,300 smoking-related deaths per day, 54 deaths per hour, or almost one death per minute. Every cigarette you smoke cuts five to 11 minutes from your life.
As if this was not enough....