pattaya now loosing out to Hua Hin

smedly

Pretty sure Pattaya couldn't care less.

Most people going to the beach are locals, not tourists. It's not like they would have driven to Pattaya instead of Hua Hin anyways and any actual "tourists" are probably from the neighbouring areas who, again, wouldn't drive all the way to Pattaya to go to the beach.

Just like a couple weeks ago when a bunch of us rode down to Rayong for lunch. We didn't go there because the beaches in Pattaya were closed  and we certainly weren't going to ride all the way to Hua Hin because the beaches there were open.

I imagine though that it will put pressure on the authorities to open the beaches again. Even the Mayor of Bang Saen will have to re-open those beaches sooner or later. 

• Like 2

The worry for Pattaya is that people from Bangkok may choose Hua Hin over Pattaya. The beach needs to be opened pronto, along with tourist attractions and small businesses that cater to tourists. According to press reports today much of that will happen in time for June 1st. Things seem to be loosening up.

• Like 2

I quite liked hua hin. The bar area is nice, i like to walk around. Not as dirty as pattaya and certainly less of a mercenary feeling there. It is a more laid back feeling.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, champers said:

The worry for Pattaya is that people from Bangkok may choose Hua Hin over Pattaya. 

Weekenders from Bangkok aren't going to save HH or Pattaya.  Both locations need tourists to survive and there's been little sign of tourists for the past few years.  

There'll be a saturation of the real estate market coming very soon and both locations will become non-tourist resorts.  This is it and Patong Beach is also included.  

Edited by torturedsole
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Both locations need tourists to survive and there's been little sign of tourists for the past few years.

And that simply is not true for Pattaya.... it has had large numbers of Chinese and Indian tourists. 

20 hours ago, champers said:

According to press reports today much of that will happen in time for June 1st. Things seem to be loosening up.

I posted a quote from a hotel FB in another thread where they say "countdown to June 1...".

20 hours ago, champers said:

The worry for Pattaya is that people from Bangkok may choose Hua Hin over Pattaya. The beach needs to be opened pronto

Sure, it would be great.

But what difference does it make Bankonians don't drive to Pattaya to lay on the beach in the hot sun.

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

But what difference does it make Bankonians don't drive to Pattaya to lay on the beach in the hot sun.

Actually they do. A lot. Especially on holiday weekends. Not so much to lay on the beach, but they sit on it (dressed) and splash in the water and drink and eat. Like a big picnic everyday.

Many a time I've been trying to get to Pattaya from Bangkok on a long weekend and had to contend with (well the taxi driver had to do the contending) with huge traffic jams that started well out of Pattaya. 

And on the evening before the holiday ends (or the morning of the first day back to work) there are often traffic jams going the other way.

Even now if I'm planning a trip I check to see if it's a holiday weekend so I can plan accordingly (to leave sooner and come back later if need be, even though I'm usually going the opposite way of the majority of the traffic flow).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, madmen said:

So is the final final nail in the pattaya coffin?????????????

Pattaya - the Hub of Nailed Coffins !

That poor old coffin has had so many "nails" put in it (just by TVF members) that Nail manufacturers have started mining it to make new nails with !

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 10:18 PM, hotandsticky said:

+ Genuine Hi-so's............................ there is real money in Hua Hin.

You want to try living around where i do in Pattaya if you want to see real money, mind you they do not flash it around ,but you can tell they have it by the houses around here, oh and we dont hang around bars in soi 6

ps our house is small in comparison to most around here and its not very small. went to Hua Hin on a familly outing once ,that was enough .

Edited by bert bloggs