Fermented fish: Don't eat it raw as it is full of dangerous tapeworms

webfact

21 minutes ago, EvetsKram said:

I read an article only last week saying 12% of all cancers in Thailand are from fermented fish. 

Is there a clear connection where cancer comes from?

I.e. if someone has lung cancer, are the cigarettes, which a smoker smoked a decade ago, before he stopped smoking, responsible? As far as I know there is no clear connection.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

They really don't need to go into such detail as you suggest. The locals are well aware of this problem and are frequently reminded of the dangers. But, as the article says, 'This is unlikely to hold much sway with north easterners'. {snipped}

I don't see why not.

They were keen to tell us there were 73 markets in 29 provinces, but not how many were contaminated.

Having said that, I've just looked at the Sanook page and realised (via google translate) the Thai article does give details.

It's TV that haven't added any of those:

"9.58% of flukes and foliage were found (7/73)
Most of them are found in pickled fish and are specimens collected from Si Sa Ket, Sakon Nakhon, Khon Kaen, Mukdahan and Udon Thani."

It goes into a lot more detail than that too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thedemon said:
1 hour ago, Captain_Bob said:

If anything should be learned by the Corona pandemic it's to stop eating garbage i.e. raw flesh and rotten  animal-based "sauce". Stick with hot cooked food, canned food, frozen packed food, fresh hygienically washed produce. Not implying what specifically caused Coronavirus, but at least stop ingesting raw rotten garbage and calling it "food". People in modern countries go to charming novelty Thai restaurants and think they are eating "real" Thai food but don't know the truth. What many baan-nok chao-ban folks eat here barely qualifies as "food". Pla-ra is just another extreme example of what some people are willing to put in their mouth. 

Depends on perspective. Your description could apply to cheese.

How?

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems lots of Thais can handle lots of food which lots of westerners can't.

Maybe their immune system is, in general, better than ours. Most Thais are used to that kind of food from childhood onwards.

Tell that to my MIL. She had the flukes and had to do a round of medicine. Luckily caught before any real damage. 

3 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

If anything should be learned by the Corona pandemic it's to stop eating garbage i.e. raw flesh and rotten  animal-based "sauce". Stick with hot cooked food, canned food, frozen packed food, fresh hygienically washed produce. Not implying what specifically caused Coronavirus, but at least stop ingesting raw rotten garbage and calling it "food". People in modern countries go to charming novelty Thai restaurants and think they are eating "real" Thai food but don't know the truth. What many baan-nok chao-ban folks eat here barely qualifies as "food". Pla-ra is just another extreme example of what some people are willing to put in their mouth. 

The Wuhan CCP Corona virus did not come from eating garbage, raw flesh and/or rotten animal based sauce. 

Eating those things is not healthy, but that’s not where the Wuhan CCP Corona virus came from. 

• Sad 1

my lady must be riddled with giant worms    she eats like an elephant   and drinks Chang like a Whale   but she never gets more than 40kg      I have always said she is feeding a   a giant worm

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is there a clear connection where cancer comes from?

I.e. if someone has lung cancer, are the cigarettes, which a smoker smoked a decade ago, before he stopped smoking, responsible? As far as I know there is no clear connection.

Here are a couple of resources that might interest. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-33095945?SThisFB&fb_ref=Default

Years ago they figured out that many Thais were getting Liver cancer from eating fish infected with Flukes. (Mainly in Isaan if I recall correctly.)

Man eats fish. Flukes invade liver and lay eggs. Eggs are expelled from the body (pooped out).
Infected poop gets into ponds and canals (either pooped into them directly or when the open septic tanks flood every time it rains and all that sewage ends up in assorted ponds and canals).
The eggs hatch in the water. Fish eat the flukes. People eat the fish (and around and around it goes).

Tapeworms are "same same but different" as tapeworms generally infest the gastrointestinal system (stomach and intestines) while flukes are in the liver. However, according to the Mayo Clinic (a very large and well known medical organization established in 1864):

"Tapeworm infection is caused by ingesting food or water contaminated with tapeworm eggs or larvae. If you ingest certain tapeworm eggs, they can migrate outside your intestines and form larval cysts in body tissues and organs (invasive infection). If you ingest tapeworm larvae, however, they develop into adult tapeworms in your intestines (intestinal infection)."
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tapeworm/symptoms-causes/syc-20378174

Neither gives a <deleted> (literally) about the immune system because they are parasites, not viruses. 

I never was a fan of fish even back home in Canada when we used to catch and cook them fresh from the lake. We had leeches in the lakes and I found out that was one of the things the fish lived on (and visa-versa as it turned out). Turned me off fish for life.

Over here I heard about the liver flukes. I stay away from pretty much all fish here too (freshwater or otherwise), including fish sauces. In Som Tam, I have the local guy use dried shrimp instead of the little crabs. No fish at all. 
I'll eat shrimp though (love them) but they are generally raised in tanks, not open ponds. Less chance of being infested with flukes (not sure if flukes even infest crustaceans).

Got to think though, with the number of poor people who drink "white spirits" and "lao khao", they probably have a lot of liver problems to begin with.