Permission to stay extension

My son entered Thailand with a 30 day and extended this by 60 days (visiting Thai family) and this expires on 8th June. He intends to get a non-O visa based on marriage from Savahnaket when the border reopens. Can he stay in Thailand until end of July or must he contact Buriram immigration before 8th June.

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

His visa extension is covered by the amnesty. He is good to go to 31 July (or probably until the borders open again and Immigration say "OK you have 1 week's grace").

That may be so but they would be wiser to check with his local immigration office first, what's there to lose by making a call?

1 minute ago, Blue Muton said:

That may be so but they would be wiser to check with his local immigration office first, what's there to lose by making a call?

Why?

He is certainly covered by the amnesty untill Julty 31st.

• Like 1

It doesn't specifically say anything about annual O visa renewals (based upon retirement or marriage), just all temporary visas. Does this mean that I do not have to do my annual renewal in June (due date), that I can wait until the end of July? Any clarity would be appreciated.

3 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

It doesn't specifically say anything about annual O visa renewals (based upon retirement or marriage), just all temporary visas. Does this mean that I do not have to do my annual renewal in June (due date), that I can wait until the end of July? Any clarity would be appreciated.

You should do your extension when it is due.

I am concerned they would not do them later if you went on the amenesty if you let it expire.

• Thanks 1

Closely related concern: I have a 1-yr multi O marriage which ends 02 July, but it was issued in Savannakhet and involves leaving Thailand each 90 days. Is there any way to get it extended, or to apply for a new one, without leaving Thailand?

7 minutes ago, Homebrewed95 said:

Closely related concern: I have a 1-yr multi O marriage which ends 02 July, but it was issued in Savannakhet and involves leaving Thailand each 90 days. Is there any way to get it extended, or to apply for a new one, without leaving Thailand?

the permission to stay stamp that the visa gave you on entry will be extended to 31st july, the actual visa issued in savannakhet will die on 2nd July

multi entry visas can not be issued inside Thailand, and visas can not be extended they are replaced with another one.

Edited by steve187

8 minutes ago, steve187 said:

the permission to stay stamp that the visa gave you on entry will be extended to 31st july, the actual visa issued in savannakhet will die on 2nd July

multi entry visas can not be issued inside Thailand, and visas can not be extended they are replaced with another one.

Understood about 31 July.

Surely a non-imm can be extended (or maybe this is the wrong word) for 60 days at IO? THB1900 and produce the wife?

2 minutes ago, Homebrewed95 said:

Surely a non-imm can be extended (or maybe this is the wrong word) for 60 days at IO? THB1900 and produce the wife?

Your non-o visa cannot be extended. Only the 90 day entry from it can be extended. 

No need to do the 60 day extension at this time. You can stay until July 31st and then use the 60 day extension near to that day.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your non-o visa cannot be extended. Only the 90 day entry from it can be extended. 

No need to do the 60 day extension at this time. You can stay until July 31st and then use the 60 day extension near to that day.

Got it – extension of the stamp, not the visa (and in this case the stamp is replaced by the '31 July' amnesty). Thanks a lot.

So it doesn't matter where the visa was issued.

But after the extension [by another 60 days] then I would have to leave, presumably (assuming "normality")? No way to get a new one-year (with or without re-entry) from inside the kingdom?

Edited by Homebrewed95
add type of visa

6 minutes ago, Homebrewed95 said:

No way to get a new one from inside the kingdom?

You can only apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai at immigration.

You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income,

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can only apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai at immigration.

Again, thanks Joe. My confusion was about "extension" and its various uses. 

As far as you know, could I do that around late July near the end of the amnesty? Or should I do a 60-day extension first (would not be cost-effective, is my first thought)?

Should local IO (Samut Prakhan in my case) know about this or will I have to wade into Chaengwattana?

8 minutes ago, Homebrewed95 said:

As far as you know, could I do that around late July near the end of the amnesty? Or should I do a 60-day extension first (would not be cost-effective, is my first thought)?

Should local IO (Samut Prakhan in my case) know about this or will I have to wade into Chaengwattana?

When does your current 90 day permit to stay end.

If you want to do the one year extension I suggest you apply for the 60 day extension near the end of your permit to stay instead of going on the amnesty. Then apply for the one year extension near the end of it.

You will have to apply at Samut Prakan immigration if that is where your are living.

The permit to stay has (just) expired. I was kind of assuming I would be able to do anything late July instead. I suspect I'm not the only one!!

But by phone, Samut Prakan said I had to leave Thailand - didn't offer the option of extension, hence my enquiry here.

Edited by Homebrewed95
missed a sentence

33 minutes ago, Homebrewed95 said:

But by phone, Samut Prakan said I had to leave Thailand - didn't offer the option of extension, hence my enquiry here.

You could of applied for the 60 day extension. Did you mention you are married to a Thai.

They may consider the amnesty as not an extension of your 90 day entry from the non-o visa.