EVA Air not refunding

I was to fly back on my return ticket on the 7th May 2020 with EVA Air, they cancelled the flight and offered a flight on the 6th May then they cancelled that flight and offered one on the 10th May 2020. I contacted EVA Air in Taiwan and explained the dates did not work and could I fly back in August 2020, they said no as the air ticket was only valid for one year so it expires on the 23rd June 2020. I explained due to cornavirus it would be better for me to fly later an as a loyal custome for many years ( and flying with them 2 to 3 times a year with them) and seeing they went on strike in June 2019 the day before I was due to fly with them and I had to find another airline to fly with, could they not help me? Answer no.

So I had to make an involutery cancellation for the second half of my ticket via the travel agent who has now come back saying 

"We have been advised by the Airlines that we need to follow the original fare rule and penalty of the ticket during the time of purchase. We have reviewed the ticket rules and it state that in case of cancellation, ticket is non-refundable. I will forward your reservation to our refunds team to check the refund of unused taxes and any refund amount will be refunded more than 12 weeks."

Very disapointed with the airline, I pointed out they cancelled the flights and I was then forced to make a involutery cancellation as outlined on the travel agents website. At the end of the day they will not pay, will try to not pay anyone where ever the can.

So now it is very important to buy cancellation insurance with all future flights, god knows what they will charge for insurance on this in the future.

1 minute ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Plenty of airlines flying into BKK either cargo, returning Thais or to pick up PAX to third country.

I know. So what is your point? Standard passengers were not allowed in then which I why qualified my sentence by saying 'that type of arrival'?

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yeah, the OP should be looking in the mirror or at the "travel agent" to assign any perceived "blame".

The obvious solution was to utilize the ticket within the original rules. Hard to understand why flying on the 10th May was somehow burdensome, but pushing the return out three months made sense? You may still be able to fly prior to 23 June, but suspect you screwed that up by iniating the cancellation yourself.

https://www.evaair.com/en-us/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/ticket-affected-covid-19.html#

A. Passengers may change the flights departing on/before 2020-12-31 within ticket validity (Only Italy route may change the flights departing till 2021) and the reissue fee will be waived for ONE transaction.

C. For tickets purchased from travel agents, please contact your travel agent for refunds.

How could have he come back to Thailand on the 10th May?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Plenty of airlines flying into BKK either cargo, returning Thais or to pick up PAX to third country.

Assuming the OP is in Bangkok...

BR 68 is flying LHR-BKK-TPE currently, at least once a week

BR 67 is flying TPE-BKK-LHR once a week as well.

Edited by mtls2005

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Until he shares the detail of his ticket I'm assuming he purchased LHR-BKK-LHR, flew LHR-BKK sometime since 24 June 2019, and now wishes to fly BKK-LHR.

Yep must be. I took fly 'back' as fly back to Thailand, since this is a Thai forum. Would still like to know why he could make the 7th but not the 10th. I don't actually care of course but just keeping in the spirit of the thread.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Yep must be. I took fly 'back' as fly back to Thailand, since this is a Thai forum. Would still like to know why he could make the 7th but not the 10th. I don't actually care of course but just keeping in the spirit of the thread.

16 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Assuming the OP is in Bangkok...

BR 68 is flying LHR-BKK-TPE currently, at least once a week

BR 67 is flying TPE-BKK-LHR once a week as well.

Not quite true. TPE/BKK is a dead leg. The plane simply stops over at BKK.

Are you sure they are flying LHR/BKK ? I would have thought such international arrivals were currently banned.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1

Just now, hotandsticky said:

I can't see that EVA have done anything wrong here.

The error was in voluntarily cancelling a booking.

And requesting a flight date outside the 1 year validity. Airlines are suffering big time, there can't be a worse time ever to ask them to bend their rules. Pretty naive really.

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Not quite true. TPE/BKK is a dead leg. The plane simply stops over at BKK.

No clue what a "dead leg"? Sounds ominous.  Often these are referred to as "tag flights" (Fifth Freedom).

Only Thais (and VIPs/diplomats I guess) can de-plane at (LHR-)BKK, all other pax stay on board and fly on to TPE. Approved pax (Taiwan citizens) can fly BKK-TPE leg, assuming they're "alive". Cargo is off-loaded/on-loaded of course.

BR 68, along with TG (917) act as re-patriation flights for Thais returning from LHR to BKK.

51 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The key thing is to let the airline cancel, don't cancel yourself otherwise they don't have to refund

valid for one year so it expires on the 23rd June 2020. 

You should have read the post more carefully .

54 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

they cancelled the flight

Depending on the airport where your flight was leaving from you can have a legal right for a refund. The EU is very good in this regard.

I had a flight with Etihad, leaving from Brussels to Abu Dhabi, and back. The flight back is cancelled. If I go to their website and you follow the steps they ask where the flight originated. If it is the EU you can ask for a refund, if not you can get a voucher...

Just now, keith101 said:

valid for one year so it expires on the 23rd June 2020. 

You should have read the post more carefully .

Yes, but...

In theory, and in times of Covid-19, if the airline cancels your flight, regardless if they offer an alternative (assuming it's more than 24 hours), then you may be eligible for a refund of the unused portion of the ticket. Assumes you booked with the airline directly, or a full-service TA.

After cancelling my flight home twice, EVA gave me a refund of $500 on a $860 round-trip flight, which I had already used one way. 

It took about a month to get the money back, but they paid up, and I was happy with the amount I was refunded. I booked a new flight home with another airline for $640. I feel like I made out okay. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Depending on the airport where your flight was leaving from you can have a legal right for a refund. The EU is very good in this regard.

I had a flight with Etihad, leaving from Brussels to Abu Dhabi, and back. The flight back is cancelled. If I go to their website and you follow the steps they ask where the flight originated. If it is the EU you can ask for a refund, if not you can get a voucher...

Please read. The OP cancelled the flight, not the airline, after a change did not suit the OP's plans.

eva air are flying weekly tapai to bkk empty, pick up in bkk and fly passengers to lhr, then empty from lhr to tapai, unless they are flying Thais back to bkk which they did on monday,

i think cancelling 2 times and the passenger not wanting the 3rd flight is ok and i think Eva should give a credit until next year or a refund, they broke the contract by cancelling twice

section 261 of EU regs 2004 which covers cancellations, only covers flights from a EU country by any airline, and flights to an EU country if the airline is an EU airline, so Eva, Thai air etc would not have to refund.

Edited by steve187

Eva cancelled my ticket to states before I left on march 16th, I booked thru One Travel who also emailed me

I went to Eva Air office in CM by aIrport plaza, nice building. A thai girl came down and was very helpful. As I had 5! airports to travel thru and connecting flights in LAX...she would email me immed when I contacted her and even gave me a nice hotel in LAX for a nights sleep and shower-$200 comp   Turned out to just be a earlier flight on same day so changed my vietjet from cnx-bkk--was about 500 bt fee...no biggie...

At BKK and LAX they have given me exit seats after asking politely, as they now charge a upgrade fee.

Ive used then many times and have always gotten great service, so Im willing to pay a little more to use.

After confirming flight and hotel with EVA I called one travel to tell them its handled already and confirmed

I even tried to give the EVA CM girl some of those fancy hazelnut chocolates at 7-11, she said shes not allowed to accept gifts but I begged her to take them......I did try for 1st class upgrade, which she politely denied.   555

A Eva gal met me in LAX and took me to Lyft stop as my phone wasnt running and made sure I got a ride to hotel which Eva paid for as well...so it was great during a hot mess travelling.. I sent the company emails telling them thank you for staff help and they replied next day thanking me.....So gotta say EVA rocks..not to mention the airport in taiwan is super nice and can grab free showers...maybe ride the Hello Kitty Plane!

• Like 1

I received a refund from EVA today. They canceled the flight and there was no hassle at all getting it. My ticket was also non-refundable. Your problem is with the travel agent. I booked directly with EVA, so had no agent. I surely don't see why snyone uses a travel agent anymore.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2020 at 5:39 AM, Keyser Soze666 said:

And how could have there been a flight coming here on the 10th anyway, the borders were closed to that type of arrival?

I was flying BKK to London so borders not closed. Fact.

On 5/26/2020 at 3:10 AM, gargamon said:

I received a refund from EVA today. They canceled the flight and there was no hassle at all getting it. My ticket was also non-refundable. Your problem is with the travel agent. I booked directly with EVA, so had no agent. I surely don't see why snyone uses a travel agent anymore.

I used a travel agent as the ticket was cheaper than buying direct for the time I wanted to fly. I am going to write to EVA Air direct as I was told by their head office in Taiwan that was the only way I can file a complaint! They canceled/changed the flight times and dates two times. Also apparently under EU law the airline is still liable even if one goes via a travel agent.

3 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

I used a travel agent as the ticket was cheaper than buying direct for the time I wanted to fly. I am going to write to EVA Air direct as I was told by their head office in Taiwan that was the only way I can file a complaint! They canceled/changed the flight times and dates two times. Also apparently under EU law the airline is still liable even if one goes via a travel agent.

As noted I booked thru One Travel but EVA hooked me up--rebooked and a fancy $200 hotel for layover..

read the small print or/and it always comes back to bite you. Everything is all okay, until it isn't. Eva were quite within their rights and within the stated conditions of the ticket you paid for. Suck it up and put it down to experience is my advice.