EVA Air not refunding

On 5/25/2020 at 6:38 AM, stevenl said:

Please read. The OP cancelled the flight, not the airline, after a change did not suit the OP's plans.

Yes and No, after talking diectly with EVA Air in London who told me to call head office in Taiwan which I did, I explained they had cancelled the flights on two occassions and the third date 10th May was no suitable for me. It was an open ticket for a year an it was due to expire on the 23rd June 2020, they would not extend into July or August and I was then refered back to the Travel agent. The travel agent website advice was to get a refund I had to cancel the ticket/flight which I did, that is where I went wrong! They are so tricky now they say I cancelled (which I did as travel site said I must to get refund)> Anyway will try direct with EVA Air. Double annoying as the day I was to fly with them from LHR to BKK they went on strike so I had to sort another airline to fly with.

On 5/26/2020 at 9:10 AM, gargamon said:

I received a refund from EVA today. They canceled the flight and there was no hassle at all getting it. My ticket was also non-refundable. Your problem is with the travel agent. I booked directly with EVA, so had no agent. I surely don't see why snyone uses a travel agent anymore.

be aware that one Airline '' Thai Lion Air '' has a few tricks when you have booked with them, i went online and directly to their site i picked a date and time to fly from Udon Thani for me and the wife.

next thing we have Convid-19 and our flight is ''suspended'' i never gave it much thought as i had other things to sort out, a few weeks later i got a message from TLA asking me if i could fly at a different time i said no thanks as i had already had a change of my outgoing dates and i could not make the time they suggested, and a full refund would be best.

First they told me i had to contact ''the travel agent'' i informed them that i had booked at their site on the internet, and that both Nok Air and the hotel had been very helpful and i had received a full refund for the hotel, and Nok Air had changed my original flight at no extra cost. Thai Lion Air had insisted that i had to go through the travel agent, i have gone on their site online and there is no mention of travel agent until you have booked your flight and filled in all your details bar your credit Card ? your card details are on a page with another company name on it.... but NO mention of travel agents...I have been put on hold and left for hours on the phone by TLA. i have informed the credit card company, as i feel charge back is an option. yes i always book with  a UK card.         

• Thanks 1

I had a booking with Korean Air for August. 

Booked directly on the KE website.

I paid for full flex as I wanted to be able to shift a few days if necessary

I wanted to see the Olympic marathon in Sapporo Japan

Friend guy flying in from HK was to sort HOTAC

The flight is not yet cancelled but the Olympics are!

Few clicks on the website

Took at least one month though

Just got an auto-email from AMEX, full refund

• Thanks 1

Well, can't complain for once, lost out on about €40.- over all due to different exchange rates (eg. comparatively 'stronger' EUR now compared to mid DEC19, original price €600.-) but EVA refunded the full amount as previously paid in THB.

Unused ticket, roundtrip EU out of BKK, out 03JUN20, retour mid August and booked direct via their website, the refund done online too ... they cancelled the outbound flight & then I cancelled the whole gig ... lowest available price as far as ticket class V went, usually 7k THB fee for refunds on these ones but as mentioned nuthin' in this case.

Btw, VISA did also refund their exchange fee (1,75% but now 2,2% I believe) which applies at least on my type of CC. 

9 hours ago, treetops said:

Non EU airline on a journey originating outwith the EU so EC261 does not apply.

I had my doubts, checked it, and found that your observation is correct. For reference, Article 3, paragraph 1(b) of EC 261/2004:

1. This Regulation shall apply:

(b) to passengers departing from an airport located in a third country to an airport situated in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies, unless they received benefits or compensation and were given assistance in that third country, if the operating air carrier of the flight concerned is a Community carrier.

On 5/25/2020 at 7:02 AM, hotandsticky said:

Are you sure they are flying LHR/BKK ? I would have thought such international arrivals were currently banned

The arrival of flights is not banned, but the arrival of passengers is, with very few exceptions.

I use Eva a lot so does all my family members who come to Thailand often based on your report Eva is following the international guidelines they did what they were supposed to do even if it wasn't good enough for you. I would have done the same thing and push the issue of the virus and such but the key was they made the required attempt to get you out the problem was as you stated " it didn't fit your view or schedule? "

My cousin was here in Feb, he is what they call a Elite flyer with Eva,  his return flight was cancelled and reschedule for March 25, he even got a email confirming a day before when I took him to the airport and dropped him off 20 minutes later called to pick him back up they had made a mistake he was rescheduled for May 10th. April 20th he was contacted by Eva that flight is also being cancelled and offer to refund him 100% and help him reschedule on Korean or Nippon to get him back to SFO which he took the offer.

Sometimes it is all they can do?

• Thanks 1

I’m pretty sure your travel agent is not telling the whole truth, is getting the refund, and pocketing it. EVA is a reasonable airline. Call them directly and I’ll bet you get a different story. 

On 5/25/2020 at 12:23 PM, stupidfarang said:

via the travel agent

I booked a ticket online for my wife’s friend to come to wedding. Ok I’m booking the flight your absolutely sure of the dates... Yes

Until 10 minutes of entering all the information.. wanted to return 

2 days later... 

anyway when I contacted the airline to make a change even if a fee

was included.. Sir you need to contact the agency which third party..

it was a headache and even though it’s the airlines website when go to purchase goes to the third party provider which makes it more difficult...

OP if your currently a Star Alliance member which I believe EVA is

maybe call the members desk. If they pushed the date and cov-19

and you might get someone that can help. 

Airlines are all in financial difficulties maybe you being a loyal customer they’d be willing to help. Best to try through the airline 

itself .. IMO agents is most cases could less what your issue is.

Good luck!

I booked with EVA directly.  They cancelled the flight, so I changed dates.  Then I read I would not be able to enter the destination country, so called and cancelled.  Even tho the flight was still scheduled.

They arranged for 100% refund.  Just taking a long time.

The problem may be with the agent and not with EVA

On 5/30/2020 at 10:26 AM, stupidfarang said:

Yes and No, after talking diectly with EVA Air in London who told me to call head office in Taiwan which I did, I explained they had cancelled the flights on two occassions and the third date 10th May was no suitable for me

Eva Air are a great airline to fly with---but hard to get money back from----in 2007 I arrived at LH and they had just canceled the flight with a notice on their desk saying everyone is to move to the next day. no contact number. I lived miles from the airport and had just taken a taxi to get there----so I took a Thai air that was leaving about the same time....then a long drawn out fight to try to get a refund. I had brought the ticket from a pattaya Travel agent opposite Foodland that I dealt with  a lot. They were no help. I done all the things that you have to no avail. Talking to a friend that writes for a national newspaper in the UK........ she said do this, send a handwritten (not printed) directly to the head of the Airline in Taiwan ---make it very nice writing on nice paper & envelope, mark it confidential for Mr -only I forget his name. Start the letter off by writing

"Can You Help Me" then explain the situation, putting no blame or threatening actions on the airline.

I tried it because she had dealt with a lot of High so  Arab & Asians.

Well my writing --(I should have been a doctor) So I paid some one to do it....then I paid out for some really nice paper & envelope etc.......

The result---F@%K ALL  I didn't even get an answer.

I hate happy endings so I thought I write and tell you..................................:coffee1:

Just joking Stupidfarang….. I didn’t get a response from him but an e-mail from EVA office asking bank details 16 days later I got 90% of it back…..(maybe the difference was the travel agent) 

Also got a e-mail from the pattaya travel agent saying they had been offered 50% of the fare and they feel that’s a good deal & if I accept they will remit it to me………… yer that finished any other transactions with them.

• Sad 1

I had a LHR-BKK-LHR biz class trip booked with EVA for May. Got a full refund back within 3 weeks and a return of 40,000 airmiles also. Found them honest to deal with - I had booked direct with them btw. When I called to cancel, they were clear upfront that if you didn't book via them then the agency involved has to handle it. 

Wrt to OP issue, I don't really feel they are in the wrong on this occasion. 

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Haha 1

On 5/24/2020 at 10:29 PM, Ryan754326 said:

After cancelling my flight home twice, EVA gave me a refund of $500 on a $860 round-trip flight, which I had already used one way. 

It took about a month to get the money back, but they paid up, and I was happy with the amount I was refunded. I booked a new flight home with another airline for $640. I feel like I made out okay. 

I guess it depends on what kind of ticket you have.  I just received a refund for my return trip LAX to CNX and instead of 1/2 ticket cost I only received 2/3rd of that 1/2 amount.  I await an e-mail to explain why the reduced amount.  

• Thanks 1

I had 2 legs of a 3 leg flight cancelled by EVA, I had booked through Expedia, as I always do. I'm not about trying to do 3 flights with 2 airlines  booking myself.

EVA cancelled the flights, notified me by e-mail and text, Expedia notified me by e-mail.

Got ahold of Expedia by phone, eventually, and asked for a refund. They said no problem takes up to 30 days.

15 days later full refund back to me.

Long time user of Expedia and always will be now.

• Like 1