Video: Who was in the wrong? Motorcyclist and pillion rider take a tumble as pedestrian crosses the road

webfact

In my opinion it is the woman is wrong. She walked across in front of the bike and it looked to me as if she took a swing at the bike rider. In all fairness it looks as if the bike is being driven at a reasonable speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It looks to me as if the bike rider had seen the pedestrian and was planning to pass behind her. He was not anticipating her stopping in the road. It looks like she stopped on the white line to wait for the bike to pass. The rider was then probably trying to adjust his route to miss her to the front, the woman waving her arms and being uncertain that the bike would miss her, distracted the rider who lost control and fell off.

Apportion blame as you wish. There may be so many violations of the law here, I don't know. The bike rider was on the correct side of the road, never crossed the white line once. The lady did what she thought was right, due to her uncertainty of the bike's direction of travel. 

The lady did not jaywalk, if there is such a thing in Thailand. She crossed lawfully and with regards to traffic, hence her hesitation at the white line.

My opinion is, accident, caused by rider assuming the lady would continue to cross the road, instead of stopping on the white line. 

Edited by Scott Tracy
Clarifying in my mind after reading the published text.

Bike's fault.  Why riding right next to or on the center line. He wasn't paying attention if he did not see her. I've been riding for over 50 years and if you run someone down like this you not paying attention to what is a head of you and do not have control of your bike. 

20 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

Bike's fault.  Why riding right next to or on the center line. He wasn't paying attention if he did not see her. I've been riding for over 50 years and if you run someone down like this you not paying attention to what is a head of you and do not have control of your bike. 

Its been mentioned enough times. The bike moved to towards the center-line to pass behind the pedestrian, who then hesitated creating additional confusion, the motorcyclist had to swerve again.

Of course the motorcyclist should have stopped instead of trying to second guess or anticipate what the pedestrian was doing. But, the pedestrian was never supposed to be walking blindly into the road in the first place.

The motorcyclist is certainly complicit, however, the incident is the fault of the pedestrian.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, petermik said:

Bike rider for sure...bike in middle of road as lady waits for it to pass....bike rider obviously not seen her otherwise he could have avoided her.....just a typical day on the roads here :thumbsup:

Both at fault, pedestrian gives the bike no chance to stop, she raises her hand and steps right into them. Having said that the bike was not going to stop for her either which is normal.. 

Standing in the middle of the road to get halfway across is normal, but if you walk into the path of a vehicle then expect an accident to happen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Ummm. World class pedant here .... It's 'zebra' not Cebra unless your referring to some car model in the background somewhere lol ????

Lapsus, I wrote zebra in Spanish...cebra ????

Edited by Tarteso

9 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Are you trying to tell us anybody stops at a Zebra crossing I challenge

you to try it.

No, I'm saying that it didn't happen at a designated pedestrian crossing, so the pedestrian is at fault.

If it had a happened at a designated pedestrian crossing, the motorist would have been at fault. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Of course the motorcyclist should have stopped instead of trying to second guess or anticipate what the pedestrian was doing.

I don't think that it is the onus of a motorist to suddenly stop in the middle of a road, where there is no designated pedestrian crossing. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

50\50, woman didn't look when she crossed the road and the motorbike rider should have seen it was a potential hazard and slowed down, moved out of the way

I'd say 70-30 pedestrian, how do you allow for an idiot although, then again.

21 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Not a designated pedestrian crossing.

The pedestrian's fault.

She also appears to be under the influence of being brain-dead. 

Best reply  of the week!!????

58 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

I don't think that it is the onus of a motorist to suddenly stop in the middle of a road, where there is no designated pedestrian crossing. 

The problem is even when there is  one there seems to be no  onus.

both at fault. She stops in the middle of the road, puts out her hand as if telling the motor bike to stop and then steps in front of the bike. The bike makes no effort to slow down, as usual when it comes to pedestrians, so even though no pedestrian crossing, the bike is equally at fault as the pedestrian.

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Usually I have pity for pedestrians but the behavior of this woman is really stupid.

She carelessly crosses the road without a look to the left.

Not before she reaches the center she realizes that there is traffic.

She doesn't look like handicapped/unfit.

Her survival chances in Pattaya would be in the single digit percent range.

Agreed. Obviously Thailand doesn't have the "look left, look right, look left again mantra. She should never have started to cross the road while there was oncoming traffic. If she had looked and thought she could get to the middle and wait then that was a wrong decision

Likely the bike saw she was not looking and decided to head round her, so that when she abruptly stopped collision was inevitable.

22 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

A couple of clowns on the bike.

How embarrassing, there was plenty of room to their left.

Drug test them

Plenty of room on the left for her to carry on walking into which is what they expected her to do, which is why they stayed in the middle of the road.

Trying to second guess Thai's isn't easy at the best of times. 

On 5/25/2020 at 4:01 PM, LeamchabangLarry said:

That woman is Thicc

The motorcycle bounced right off of her as if it was a gnat

and possibly the 'larger' party, in the logical blame game

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One thing is sure: She has a real bad attitude. Two people crash in front of her eyes, at least in part because of her, and she doesn't really care. 

she'd probably been standing off-camera for ages, to wait for just the right approaching m'cycle to approach...