Thai Chana QR Code Scanning - process doesn't seem to complete

SooKee

Primarily for those who are OK with abiding by the requirements to use this site via the QR code (which they confusingly called an app) when visiting malls / stores (there's numerous threads already discussing whether folks do / don't want to use it), I'd be interested to see if others are encountering problems with it.  The issue we've had is that the site never seems to work properly with the process never looking like it's actually completed.  Been to numerous stores over several days now, scan the code that brings up the check in / check out page.  Click 'Check In' then....nothing.  Just a spinning wheel like a page loading icon.  No 'Done', check mark or 'details to complete' page, just looks like the site has hung.  Same when clicking the orange check out button, blank page with spinning wheel, never get taken to the shop survey page or input a name or number or any other indication that it's actually worked.  So, we just close the scanner app and carry on.

No idea whatsoever whether it's worked or not, not even sure if we're supposed to be taken to a page to enter the phone number or whether it grabs it automatically.  If it's working as expected you'd think it would come up with a 'Done' or some other success indicator rather than a blank page. Get the feeling that the site is simply down whenever we've tried to use it, overloaded or just plain not working.  Happy to comply with the requirements here (regardless of what others think) but certainly not prepared to mess about wasting time trying to fathom whether it's actually working or trying to get it to work if at first it doesn't.  Tried with two or three different phones depending on how many of us there were at the time and with different scanner apps, same result, so it's not a device / user problem.  Always able to connect to the check in / check out page but after that nothing happens.

I had the same problem when i visited Mega at the weekend.

Was frustrating at first waiting for something to happen but after 2 or 3 attempts at different shops the people policing this didn't seem to be bothered and let me enter, so i just scanned the code and they let me in.

For all i know i have been there since Saturday morning as checking out didn't work either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You are going to the right web address?  Seems there are fake sites that will try to get you to download and hack your phone.

image.png.5a7f1271f8f3fdaaefefb2bde44fb743.png

Yeah the site is right, going straight from the barcode.  Just isn't working.  Unless it's done all it needs to by the time it hangs (I suspect not) at the times we've used it only lets you partially check in or out it seems. I strongly suspect it's at a busy time of the day and at weekends and it's just overloaded.

1 minute ago, SooKee said:

Yeah the site is right, going straight from the barcode.  Just isn't working.

That may not mean the site is right - the store has to register and the person doing that process could have gone to the wrong website and obtained a QR code for that site.  Do not assume QR is correct - double check the web site it calls up.

Also they now have change to English option at bottom of screen.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

That may not mean the site is right - the store has to register and the person doing that process could have gone to the wrong website and obtained a QR code for that site.  Do not assume QR is correct - double check the web site it calls up.

Also they now have change to English option at bottom of screen.  

I'm not assuming the site is right.  It opens up the Thai Chana website as displayed in their promo material.  It's just not working.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Have you tried a different browser? 

I found that it worked better with Chrome rather than the default Samsung browser on my antique Samsung Note-3. 

Possible I suppose.  That said I don't plan to faff about switching default browsers just so their site works.  I'll just carry on as we've been doing, either it works or it doesn't.  I suspect pi55 poor design or overload is responsible.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

The other day it recorded 2.1 million people going into a mall and 1.6 coming out. That means that 500,000 must have slept the night in the Mall. TIT.

That was the totals for all establishments using the system and means many people are not registering departure (as few have people checking most likely or in the case of markets hands full of items bought).  

Just used it, worked fine. Scanned barcode, opened page, clicked on Checkin, asked me for phone number, and after entering, went back to the checkin/checkout buttons page.

On exit, I guess I could have just kept same page open but I scanned barcode again, opened same page, clicked Check Out and Rate... and then it asked about are they clean and check temperature and so on... clicked yes to all and submitted. Fairly painless, except a little stupid you have to enter same phone number every time.

• Like 1

Yesterday and today I have visited several 7-11s. Though they all had several A4s with the QR code inside the shop and on the doors, I have not seen anyone using it. Staff seemed largely to have given up on this and just let customers write down name/tel. number with check-in and check-out times. Results in huge stacks of papers in larger/busy shops. 

i'm yet to be convinced the initiative is serving any practical purpose, similar to cursory or non existent security guard checks when entering malls, giving passport details when changing money regardless of how small the amount, passport to get a phone number, passport to send a parcel (sometimes), passport to get a travel card... it goes on and is mostly a nonsense but it seems to keep those in power feeling that they are actually doing something and the minions happy that something is being done.

that's how it is here, no one want to call out anyone, no one  wants to say 'but he's not wearing any clothes!' , us foreign bystanders have to go along with it, remaining calm and with an occasional wry smile...

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Just used it, worked fine. Scanned barcode, opened page, clicked on Checkin, asked me for phone number, and after entering, went back to the checkin/checkout buttons page.

On exit, I guess I could have just kept same page open but I scanned barcode again, opened same page, clicked Check Out and Rate... and then it asked about are they clean and check temperature and so on... clicked yes to all and submitted. Fairly painless, except a little stupid you have to enter same phone number every time.

The first time i used it it asked for the phone number but not since, also got the survey for the first time today.

OP, i open the QR code reader via the Line app ( purely because that's the way they showed me ) and it has never been a problem in maybe 5 or 6 different places.

Could someone please tell me the REAL site to download this app.

It will be to a Samsung device and I will use Chrome to download it as it seems to be recommended here.

Thanks for your help

On 5/25/2020 at 12:24 PM, Bangkokhatter said:

I had the same problem when i visited Mega at the weekend.

Was frustrating at first waiting for something to happen but after 2 or 3 attempts at different shops the people policing this didn't seem to be bothered and let me enter, so i just scanned the code and they let me in.

For all i know i have been there since Saturday morning as checking out didn't work either.

I had the same issue, scan, it is working a bit and then stops. After scanning I show them the phone and just enter.

On 5/25/2020 at 12:13 PM, lopburi3 said:

You are going to the right web address?  Seems there are fake sites that will try to get you to download and hack your phone.

image.png.5a7f1271f8f3fdaaefefb2bde44fb743.png

12 minutes ago, dsfbrit said:

It will be to a Samsung device and I will use Chrome to download it as it seems to be recommended here.

Thanks for your help

No app, to download, all one should do is scan the QR code, done.

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

That was the totals for all establishments using the system and means many people are not registering departure (as few have people checking most likely or in the case of markets hands full of items bought).  

I'm sure that's the issue. I came out of Big C the other day with shopping bag in one hand and my treat from Dairy Queen in the other. I resolved to go back and check out once I'd eaten my sundae, but I forgot. Oh well, never mind. 

8 minutes ago, dsfbrit said:

Oh... OK thanks stevenl.

I guess I need QR scanner app.

I will hunt for one now

Thanks again

Even without an app the QR function is built into phones these days - on mine it is tools/scanner and then have QR code option for the scan.  That in turn brings up browser to the website.  I have not used as never have data on but suspect it would work.

Lopburi3,

Yes thanks for the reply.

I found out that I do have it already when I searched for an app.

On my Samsung A50 it is a part of 'Bixby Vision', so I have updated that and agreed the terms and conditions etc...

Very easy to use.

Of course it needs the internet and I only use the phone to connect to the internet at home. Not when I am out.

So now I suppose I will have to get a mobile phone internet package that I don't need nor want.

I suppose I could use the pen method - that sounds a lot of effort though if I have to do it in every shop I enter in a mall.

Thanks again.

56 minutes ago, dsfbrit said:

Thanks for your help

You do NOT need to download an app. except maybe a QR scanner. Thai Chana is a web based platform. Scan the QR code, press 'open link' and your there. Very simple to use.