Thailand reports 2 new coronavirus cases, 1 more death

webfact

9 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

So what would the death rate have been if nothing was done? 4.5% or 45%? Nobody knows. Perhaps the low death rate is because everything was shut down.

Definitely not 45%. It's not the black death. And in reality, it's not even close to 4% when you look at any reputable study of the ifr. For sure, something needed to be done. Seems like some of the stuff was overkill.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Definitely not 45%. It's not the black death. And in reality, it's not even close to 4% when you look at any reputable study of the ifr. For sure, something needed to be done. Seems like some of the stuff was overkill.

My point wast what the true %age was. My point is that a relatively low rate might be the result of drastic action and that it could have been a huge percentage without lockdowns. We will never know. I just don’t see the validity of an argument that lockdown was too drastic.

14 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

My point wast what the true %age was. My point is that a relatively low rate might be the result of drastic action and that it could have been a huge percentage without lockdowns. We will never know. I just don’t see the validity of an argument that lockdown was too drastic.

Sweden did not lockdown, went for herd immunity and at first it appeared to be working.  However, now they have the highest percentage of deaths in Europe.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't 

Edited by ThailandRyan

10 hours ago, smedly said:

serious lack of detail 

returned from Russia when - 2019 ?

and 

Chinese woman who did what when and where 

for both these infections there are likely actually 4 not 2 cases as they both got it from someone 

Chinese woman is wife of an infected Italian in Phuket. was in the official anounncement this morning.

10 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

"...no indication in the news or in this story to indicate location..."

You missed this glaringly obvious clue re the location that you need..."Meanwhile, a 68-year-old female who had end-stage renal disease, diabetes and hypertension died of respiratory failure at Chumphon hospital".

Don't want to make light of someones death but this poor older lady was seriously ill and would have probably died of common flu.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sweden did not lockdown, went for herd immunity and at first it appeared to be working.  However, now they have the highest percentage of deaths in Europe.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't 

Yes, but theirs is a more long term marathon approach. There will be more cases and deaths, but then if the other waves materialize, they will not have to deal with the same hardships of infection, death and more lockdowns as their neighbors will. And let's face it their numbers of deaths while when it looked at comparatively are large, are not huge numbers.

2017 the number of influenza and pneumonia deaths in Sweden were 3,589. Covid will certainly be more but probably not by a crazy multiplier.

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/sweden-influenza-pneumonia

2 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

So what would the death rate have been if nothing was done? 4.5% or 45%? Nobody knows. Perhaps the low death rate is because everything was shut down.

Actually an Oxford epidemiologist, Professor Sunetra Gupta, said it might have been completely unnecessary and in some ways made thing worse in Britain by emptying hospitals and seeding care homes with already infected patients to start outbreaks amongst the more vulnerable. She obviously offers and dissenting voice to Ferguson. Her interview is very interesting. A similar thing happened in NY care homes when Gov. Cuomo required nursing homes to take in ill patients from the hospitals.

I would post the link, but you can search for the youtube video: Professor Sunetra Gupta: the epidemic is on its way out.

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

We will never know. I just don’t see the validity of an argument that lockdown was too drastic.

Fair enough. When this all sorts out in a couple of years, we'll know what was done right, what wrong -- and what have we learned to prepare for the next virus adventure. Hopefully we can come to conclusions, and not more second guessing.

11 hours ago, JimGant said:

Every time I see figures like these, I'm reminded that corvid-19 is far from a death sentence. What is a death sentence, figuratively anyway, is shutting down the economy. You just got to think that Sweden has gotten it right..... But, we won't know for a long time, until after this plaque has run its course and we can compare data. Still, shuttering an entire economy due to a 4% death rate just, somehow, doesn't resonate....

Even Sweden are struggling economically due to the fact everywhere else is shut down

Affecting supply lines and overall demand 

• Like 1

Well that's it then, extend the lock down and stop all sales of alcohol, reduce the possibility of buying food and then we can starve them in their homes so that the "Quality tourists" coming next month won't have to cope with the locals...... Job done.......   What are going to do about those pesky farangs though ? .......... Anutin !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Just as you seem to want to avoid counting deaths as attributable to Covid in such circumstances there are plenty of others out there who would call foul if Thailand was minimising the impact of Covid by attributing deaths to end mechanisms such as scepticaemia.

You mean like categorizing them as pneumonia in the death certificates without testing for SARS-CoV-2? The HDC report daily average in the provinces is still elevated.

15 hours ago, GAZZPA said:
On 5/25/2020 at 12:16 PM, Bob A Kneale said:

"...no indication in the news or in this story to indicate location..."

You missed this glaringly obvious clue re the location that you need..."Meanwhile, a 68-year-old female who had end-stage renal disease, diabetes and hypertension died of respiratory failure at Chumphon hospital".

Don't want to make light of someones death but this poor older lady was seriously ill and would have probably died of common flu.

What's your speculative opinion about her health got to do with my comment, or the post that I responded to, regarding the location of those affected?

can people who have come back from other countries and are in quarantine really be considered new cases in Thailand?

new cases should be defined as those in the general public who may have had contact with others, not quarantined people

and can symptoms developing in those in quarantine really be used as a reason for continued lockdown given that they are already isolated?

A thai friend told me that there hasnt been a new case in bkk for about a month....

13 minutes ago, poskat said:

A thai friend told me that there hasnt been a new case in bkk for about a month....

He is totally wrong - less than a week - the most recent were two cases reported on the 21st of May.

Meanwhile, a 68-year-old female who had end-stage renal disease, diabetes and hypertension died of respiratory failure at Chumphon hospital. She had been in close contact with a previous patient and was confirmed to be infected with Covid-19 on April 14. She died of septicemia, which causes acute myocardial infarction, on May 24.

And another one goes down as a Covid 19 death when clearly she would have died of her comorbidity anyway!

• Like 1

this is like last year death rate of the flue so what is the big deal? who is making the big money out of this besides the news mughals??? a bit of adding on here a bit of taking away there, going to be real interesting to see what happens next year are we all going to save our masks because it will be law to wear them, when you think about it without news in your ear it is not making sense