Vacuum cleaner recommendations?

bamboozled

The search function is pulling up Thai airways bankruptcy news so I'm asking anew. My current Sharp vacuum is not really sucking so well any longer. It's not all that old but I don't think they enjoy vacuuming in 40 degrees, for starters. Anyhow, has anyone had good luck recently with a vacuum purchase? I'm not going to go the Dyson route, that's way over my head price-wise. I saw a Phillips Cyclone which "looks" cool and I would hope/would imagine it is a good machine because the price tag is 13k. Not really keen on spending that much either. Is it a necessity, spending so much, for a decent vacuum? I guess I would be comfortable up to 6k but more than that seems, I don't know, a lot of bottles of beer or fish sauce. Any advice? Thanks all!

Oh, I live in a mid-size house that is all open windows so very dirty, up here in Chiang Mai with all the soot in the air. I don't have carpets but a lot of things that collect dust on all sorts of surfaces, not just floors.

Thank you!

24 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

My current Sharp vacuum is not really sucking so well any longer

Is it the bag-less model?  We have had good luck with ours but maid does clean it often.  But at 1,600 baht it is kind of hard to fault.  Have not found 6-8k units to be worth the extra money.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sharp-ec-ns16-v-i625488404-s1195394307.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.40071e4bgWy21s&search=1

• Like 1

The ThaiVisa search function is absolutely worthless.

Luckily there is an easy alternative.  Just do a google search preceded by the word 'ThaiVisa' and it will give you an overview of the Forumposts containing the search-term.

Here is one result doing such a search > thaivisa vacuum cleaner

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1139568-do-many-people-in-the-isaan-region-use-vacuum-cleaners/?do=findComment&comment=14874985

Many thanks, guys! Yes, the Sharp is a bag-less model, 2000w VC LS20 or something. And while I recall I was happy with the suction of it in the beginning, there are some serious design faults that I realized soon after I bought it. For example, there is no easy way to pick it up while vacuuming, for cleaning up-high areas. There are other issues, too, but I won't get into it. I don't recall the price exactly but sure, maybe better to shut up, chuck it, and pay up!

I'll have a look at that thread and try your google method, too.

Thank you again.

Thanks for the info. I certainly don't want to pay that much for a Dyson vacuum. Yes they look good. Yesterday, I gave a thorough washing to the Hepa filter which was quite gunked up. Perhaps the vacuum is still fine and it is just my negligence in not maintaining it. It is still drying so have not given it the test run. If it's still sub-par, off to HOme Pro I go.

One caveat, I live in an old style Thai house. It's basically all windows with just screens in them, no glass. So, with the horrible air quality here in Chiang Mai, it gets very dusty and dirty quickly and easily. Not a surprise the filter was so caked up. I should know better....

Hitachi CV-SH18. Cost about 3000 baht about 10 years ago. Replaced the motor myself after some indolent youth thought it could suck up water and then left it unused for the following 6 months. I just bought a replacement hose for it from Amorn for 380 baht, same place I got the 600 baht replacement motor.

https://shopee.co.th/เครื่องดูดฝุ่น-1-800-วัตต์-HITACHI-รุ่น-CV-SH18-i.14043779.141634831

cv-sh18.jpg.32eb9ce61524991a37db0493d9ed31d4.jpg

• Like 2

Ha!  I had read your post, I think it was in the link that Lopburi posted? That's great to know that Amorn has replacement parts. Do they stock the Hepa filters, too? I'm about to try my old one with the cleaned filter. I have my fingers crossed but if it doesn't suck (in the good way) I will check out that HItachi, sure. Thanks for the reply.

Well, with the cleaned filter it seems a new machine. Man, what a dummy I am to not clean the filter. Call that asleep at the wheel. I'd still like to buy a new one if they sell them at Amorn. I guess can probably go online, too, but I'd rather just go out and grab one. The one I have is pretty clean now but probably a little compromised. The Sharp still has the design flaws but I'm used to them now. I wouldn't buy it again, however.

7 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Well, with the cleaned filter it seems a new machine. Man, what a dummy I am to not clean the filter. Call that asleep at the wheel. I'd still like to buy a new one if they sell them at Amorn. I guess can probably go online, too, but I'd rather just go out and grab one. The one I have is pretty clean now but probably a little compromised. The Sharp still has the design flaws but I'm used to them now. I wouldn't buy it again, however.

Agree they do not have a good handle but if grab hose coupling (not the hose itself) can move around quite well.  Understand that in wood home with beams exposed not being able to lift is a disadvantage but in most homes there is no overhead vac cleaning (or even vac cleaning if no carpets).  Might be worth having a Dustbuster type unit?  Believe keeping that filter clean and tray empty are the keys to good suction.  

I thought the wife was cleaning the filter. I guess she was cleaning the foam that abuts it but I didn't realize you could water-clean the Hepa. ...Not sure where my head was at. I would buy a new air filter for my old car why I didn't think about it for the vacuum is plain stupid. Have to pick up the unit for cleaning the beams and ceiling corners, yes, and stairs, shelving, counters, so many occasions. Do you know this Sharp unit of which I speak? The other major thing that bothers me is the tube sticks onto the hose end only through friction. That is, you have to push and twist them together and they simply "stick" together. They of course loosen up often but it is also quite tedious to put the two parts together and take them apart when you need to do different types of cleaning. I know, sounds a petty complaint but on the contrary, it impedes the work flow and is of poor, cheap design in my opinion. But I can't even change an air filter so maybe I best shut it. I had a Dustbuster type thing years ago. I was unimpressed. And it died fairly quickly. Might just have been a bad unit. But it's true that batteries in this climate are not all that happy.

I have a cheaper Sharp and works well - but most use is by maid so that makes it even easier.  Was thinking something like this as an alternative for overhead use - not battery operated as do understand they most often do not have a long life here.  At 900 baht do not believe you could go wrong - have found xiaomi products to be very high quality for the price (phone and shaver).

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-deerma-dx700-dx700s-2-in-1-handheld-vacuum-cleaner-1-i800862222-s1645202150.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.93.76eb6be6jDM9gc&search=1

image.jpeg.37c91fac05cb2023db3daba989fcad02.jpeg

Look where and at what price you can get replacement filters before you buy! In respect of repairs. The repair of my Electrolux vacuum cleaner was finished by Electrolux after 3 months already... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Ha!  I had read your post, I think it was in the link that Lopburi posted? That's great to know that Amorn has replacement parts. Do they stock the Hepa filters, too? I'm about to try my old one with the cleaned filter. I have my fingers crossed but if it doesn't suck (in the good way) I will check out that HItachi, sure. Thanks for the reply.

Strangely enough, I have never been able to source replacement HEPA filters even from Hitachi Thailand but I did get some in Kuala Lumpur.

• Like 1

The vacuum worked quite well for a bit but then seemed to bog down yet again. Granted, I was cleaning a crazy dirty, filthy area under the stairs so was asking a lot of it. I'm washing the filter again but sooner or later it's going to break down. I find it surprising that filters are hard to come by. Why don't all these places that sell the vacuums stock a supply of them? Seems a no-brainer.

Oldie, 3 months???? Yikes

NanLeaw....online sourced? So Amorn doesn't have them, I take it?

26 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I'll never buy another "bag-less" vacuum. 

Indeed bag holds a lot more trash - but it also circulates a lot more into the air and throw away bags are often hard to source in Thailand.  I prefer my HEPA on vac rather than face.

My wife called Sharp and they gave her a number to call in Bkk, nothing in Chiang Mai. The Bkk number said we have to buy the whole plastic receptacle that holds the debris and includes the filter and snaps onto the machine. The cost is 1100 baht. They do not sell the filter separately. Well, I will not be buying another Sharp, you can be sure. What a load of <deleted>. It's really quite hard to understand how they think this is a good marketing scheme. Maybe I should read between the lines: is this because the hepa filters don't really where out and I can just keep washing it for years?

I'm wondering if I can buy some generic Hepa filter material and make my own. Does 3M not sell such hepa filter material? I'm going to check out the 3M shop in Chiang Mai. And maybe Amorn, too.

Truth: the bagless vacuum gets filled up mighty quick. So quickly that I often let it get fuller than I want but I am always under the impression it couldn't possibly be full yet. But alas, you look at it the wrong way and it's full. Doesn't take much.

I clean my Electrolux's HEPA filter after every whole-house vacuum. It's lasted over 3 years now.

I bought a couple of replacement filters from Lazada when the machine was new but haven't had to use them yet. They were cheap, only 400 baht for 2. Just search lazada for HEPA filter and your model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Maybe I should read between the lines: is this because the hepa filters don't really where out and I can just keep washing it for years?

Believe the filters are designed to last the normal life for cheap vacuums of 3-5 years.  We live in a throw away world - like it or not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Indeed bag holds a lot more trash - but it also circulates a lot more into the air and throw away bags are often hard to source in Thailand.  I prefer my HEPA on vac rather than face.

Throw away bags available on Lazada.  Very cheap if you get them sent from China.

• Like 2

12 months ago I got a Samsung to replace an old Miele. Bht 3000 from Lazada. After first use it cut out after 15 minutes cos was too hot. It is rated at 1800 WATTS most of which is converted into HEAT. Took it into Samsung....new motor. Following month exactly the same.....another new motor. I have asked Samsung Customer Service (Ha ha) in Bangkok to refund my money as I wanted a cleaner and not a room heater. No reply of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We searched online for the filter. I have not been able to find it for the Sharp model. Well, maybe it will last the life of the vacuum. It seemed to be getting a bit gnarly to me and some of the pieces between the cells are starting to fail/fall out/fall apart. Nobody likes my DIY idea? I suppose I could even buy one for a different model, or two of them, and fit it somehow for my model. Well, I'll post back if I have any forward progress.

On 5/25/2020 at 2:23 PM, bamboozled said:

would imagine it is a good machine because the price tag is 13k.

That's not a million miles away from a Dyson price bamboozled..........  & they really are a top machine.

Just now, bamboozled said:

I'm wondering if I can buy some generic Hepa filter material and make my own. Does 3M not sell such hepa filter material? I'm going to check out the 3M shop in Chiang Mai. And maybe Amorn, too.

FILTRETE, can get it from Lazada, use it in your aircons too, and in your car vents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stouricks said:

FILTRETE, can get it from Lazada, use it in your aircons too, and in your car vents.

That stuff blocks almost all airflow - in AC they even say not to cover more than 80%.  And it is one time use and the amount of time is very little.  Better to clean your AC every six months in my opinion.  A lot of money for very little return.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

That stuff blocks almost all airflow - in AC they even say not to cover more than 80%.  And it is one time use and the amount of time is very little.  Better to clean your AC every six months in my opinion.  A lot of money for very little return.

So do as they say and do not cover more than 80%.

Cleaning your a/c every 6 months will not remove any dust or particles in the air which the a/c is circulating round your room. At least Filtrete or similar will have a go at it, and judging by the s..t mine has collected over three months, it is doing a good job.

A 96 inch roll is about Bht400, enough for 4 aircon for three months. 'A lot of money' ?????

30 minutes ago, stouricks said:

So do as they say and do not cover more than 80%.

Cleaning your a/c every 6 months will not remove any dust or particles in the air which the a/c is circulating round your room. At least Filtrete or similar will have a go at it, and judging by the s..t mine has collected over three months, it is doing a good job.

A 96 inch roll is about Bht400, enough for 4 aircon for three months. 'A lot of money' ?????

Many of us have hepa air filters for 2.5 ppm removal and they work a lot better than filters in an AC which are much more costly they you believe as the AC has to use much more power to cool with them in place.  Unless you have a new AC designed for HEPA operation believe it much better to have separate unit and really clean the air full time.

• Like 1