Video: The future of Thai tourism post COVID-19

webfact

The future of Thai tourism post COVID-19

screenshot_11033.jpg

In 2019, nearly 40 million tourists visited Thailand. This year, however, it is forecast that number will fall by more than 10 million. On what should the Thai tourism sector focus after the COVID-19 outbreak? Will travellers come back in the near future? Let’s find out.

thaipbs.jpg

Anyway - this video was talking about focussing on the high end visitor for 5&6star hotel from the Asean region. So that could well include china and Korea and thailand. I think it makes sense - forget backpackers etc.

But it also may be quite difficult if one cannot just stroll about like one used to. And quarantine etc will be an issue. Im pretty sure a 2nd wave is soon to come anyway - in one or another of the rainy seasons.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Deluxe high end tourists w t f, delusion. No one comes to Thailand for a deluxe high end experience, they come because it's cheap and it's not as cheap as it use to be.

There are some exceptions. There are US celebrities who come for the islands and beaches. However, this is but a handful of people. Not going to help the overall picture.

11 minutes ago, timendres said:

There are some exceptions. There are US celebrities who come for the islands and beaches. However, this is but a handful of people. Not going to help the overall picture.

That is true, very small scale, difficult to scale up. One of them was talking about certain resorts to herd the tourists to, I presume Samui, Phuket and Krabi. They would not be high end deluxe resorts, very scenic though.

They will just have to get use to less tourists for a few years.

• Like 1

When I see that restaurant in thee video, I feel like I'll be better off enjoying my wife's delicious Thai, Western, Indian and Mexican food at home. I won't spend any money on a restaurant where I have to wear a mask. There are limits.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

they come because it's cheap and it's not as cheap as it use to be.

There are plenty of places nearby that are cheaper. There's a reason tourist hordes don't descend on Jakarta though, as you need to compete on more than just price.

Vietnam has a better chance of competing, but while some complain about not being welcome in Thailand, in some ways Vietnam is worse (xenophobic undertones, Thailand is more carefree in that respect). I've been passive aggressive hassled by a drunk Vietnamese male about my 'date' (incidentally, a purely platonic relationship). Something that not only has never happened in Thailand, there has not even been a sniff of that 'what are you doing with a foreigner' attitude.

Edited by jacob29
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, timendres said:

Then you have been quite insulated. It is here, and quite unpleasant at times. The things I have heard spoken by Thai men directed at my (now ex) wife and my girlfriend would make your hair stand on end.

The Thais are very xenophobic and racist, don't like africans, don't like Indians, don't like Arabs, don't like Chinese, like farang because have white skin.

I've heard some Thais mentioning about girls in the local Thai bar being garee. I can pick out some of the conversation, it's mainly about food though 55.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Deluxe high end tourists w t f, delusion. No one comes to Thailand for a deluxe high end experience, they come because it's cheap and it's not as cheap as it use to be.

Western men come for cheap sex, backpackers come for cheap party experiences, Chinese come for walking around and annoying everyone else, Indian men come for cheap sex but can't get any, African men come for cheap sex but get fat birds.

Chinese come for a cheap exotic experience. 

Chinese love to watch folkloristic places and races, and Thailand is much cheaper than Austria or Texas. Zero-dollar tours.

3 hours ago, timendres said:

Then you have been quite insulated. It is here, and quite unpleasant at times. The things I have heard spoken by Thai men directed at my (now ex) wife and my girlfriend would make your hair stand on end.

Fair point, if I understood Thai I expect things could be different. Nonetheless I don't speak Vietnamese either :). Maybe Thai's try to be more discrete about it, or it's simply increased exposure to foreigners gives them fatigue talking smack to girls every time they see them with foreigners.

17 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

I have little doubt there were a handful of quality tourists from China pre-Covid. But among those appalling herds trotting behind their flag-waving guides they were not. And that has been the vast, vast, vast majority of Chinese visitors, was it not? So what exactly is it going to be that will turn that situation around post-Covid? Short answer: Nothing.

Bring back those Nigerians!!  They must spend a lot, given the amount of time they tend to stay here!!  ????

• Haha 1

Based on the "new normal" criteria to even enter the kingdom, how many well heeled tourists will comply with the pre-flight medical requirements, insurance, embassy visits (how do you visit a closed embassy) and then a 14 day in-country quarantine in order to start the HISO luxury holiday. No thought out that well. The Thai Embassy staff were recalled from certain countries, so if some of these embassies remain closed in low demand countries, then the tourist's holiday embarkation point may not actually have an embassy and the tourist would need to travel via another country that has an active Thai Embassy in order to meet the embassy visit criteria.

Then 14 day quarantine, whilst being financially gouged by the "Business Class" hotel for accommodation and food, as well as the associated compulsory Private Hospital medical visit costs. Hence why the Thai Government is teaming up (scheming up) with Private Hospitals and Hotels to provide this luxury 14 day chill out holiday.

So for me, in order to get home to BKK at this stage I would need to travel via the UK and go through quarantine, or a secondary compliant Asian Country (likely with quarantine restrictions as well) in order to satisfy the Thai embassy visit criteria.

So in no way an easy relaxing holiday jaunt if that were the purpose. 

On 5/26/2020 at 6:58 AM, Oldie said:

Time to look for high end booze and sex tourists.

Given that the price of a special massage and a beer have quadrupled over the last 15 years my guess is that all booze and sex tourist are already at the 'high end.'  :wink:

• Haha 2