BANGKOK
webfact

Video: The future of Thai tourism post COVID-19

The future of Thai tourism post COVID-19

screenshot_11033.jpg

In 2019, nearly 40 million tourists visited Thailand. This year, however, it is forecast that number will fall by more than 10 million. On what should the Thai tourism sector focus after the COVID-19 outbreak? Will travellers come back in the near future? Let’s find out.

thaipbs.jpg

Anyway - this video was talking about focussing on the high end visitor for 5&6star hotel from the Asean region. So that could well include china and Korea and thailand. I think it makes sense - forget backpackers etc.

But it also may be quite difficult if one cannot just stroll about like one used to. And quarantine etc will be an issue. Im pretty sure a 2nd wave is soon to come anyway - in one or another of the rainy seasons.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Deluxe high end tourists w t f, delusion. No one comes to Thailand for a deluxe high end experience, they come because it's cheap and it's not as cheap as it use to be.

There are some exceptions. There are US celebrities who come for the islands and beaches. However, this is but a handful of people. Not going to help the overall picture.

11 minutes ago, timendres said:

There are some exceptions. There are US celebrities who come for the islands and beaches. However, this is but a handful of people. Not going to help the overall picture.

That is true, very small scale, difficult to scale up. One of them was talking about certain resorts to herd the tourists to, I presume Samui, Phuket and Krabi. They would not be high end deluxe resorts, very scenic though.

They will just have to get use to less tourists for a few years.

• Like 1

When I see that restaurant in thee video, I feel like I'll be better off enjoying my wife's delicious Thai, Western, Indian and Mexican food at home. I won't spend any money on a restaurant where I have to wear a mask. There are limits.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

they come because it's cheap and it's not as cheap as it use to be.

There are plenty of places nearby that are cheaper. There's a reason tourist hordes don't descend on Jakarta though, as you need to compete on more than just price.

Vietnam has a better chance of competing, but while some complain about not being welcome in Thailand, in some ways Vietnam is worse (xenophobic undertones, Thailand is more carefree in that respect). I've been passive aggressive hassled by a drunk Vietnamese male about my 'date' (incidentally, a purely platonic relationship). Something that not only has never happened in Thailand, there has not even been a sniff of that 'what are you doing with a foreigner' attitude.

Edited by jacob29
  • Like 1

If you make your bed out of poison ivy, don't complain about the itching.

• Like 1