Quarantine cost ?

- asking for a friend; Employed as a school teacher in Thailand, presently stranded out of country; so I think will be subject to 14 day quarantine upon Re-entry. He has a Re-entry Permit.

- Will he have to bear the cost of his quarantine ? If yes, does anyone have an idea of the cost ?

- presuming he will also need a "fit to fly" medical certificate, and medical insurance ?

It is unknown at this time what will be required when passenger flight are allowed into the country again.

Thais being repatriated have had to pay for their rooms. Not sure what the cost is. I have heard of 1000 baht a day and meals are included.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is unknown at this time what will be required when passenger flight are allowed into the country again.

Thais being repatriated have had to pay for their rooms. Not sure what the cost is. I have heard of 1000 baht a day and meals are included.

Not so UJ. At the moment it is free. here's a quote from The Thaiger:

Taweesin says the government may not be able to continue providing free state quarantine once the state of emergency is lifted and more people begin arriving from other countries. However, travellers would be able to choose paid accommodation at hotels which had partnered with hospitals.. The standard of hotels would range from 2 – 5 star.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/upgrades-to-luxury-quarantine-available-for-returnees

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I have read otherwise. Those being put into quarantine in Bangkok and Pattaya had to pay for it. It is part of the deal to get on a repatriation flight.

There are some provincial quarantine locations that are free.

As OP referred to his friend having a re-entry permit sounds like he is asking for a foreigner in which case cannot enter period at this time and I believe until end of June.

Too soon to say what the requirements will be for foreigners to enter once the ban is lifted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I have read otherwise. Those being put into quarantine in Bangkok and Pattaya had to pay for it. It is part of the deal to get on a repatriation flight.

Ah. 'The hidden cost' trick. There was also a video posted here recently whereby they were accommodated for free at a Thai air force base. So it's a mixed story. 

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

There was also a video posted here recently whereby they were accommodated for free at a Thai air force base.

That was back in the early days when they were getting people out of China.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't know how it works, but I know for sure a Thai friend came from the Maldives and was quarantined at The Ambassador in Jomtien for free for 14 days with all meals.  She had to pay if she wanted something other than the menu offered but that was the only charge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allane said:

asking for a friend; Employed as a school teacher in Thailand, presently stranded out of country;

Have him make sure he will still have a job as at least some schools are emergency hiring anyone available in country now to replace those out of country as there is little or no hope they will be able to return for start of school (June or July).  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Taweesin says the government may not be able to continue providing free state quarantine once the state of emergency is lifted and more people begin arriving from other countries. However, travellers would be able to choose paid accommodation at hotels which had partnered with hospitals.. The standard of hotels would range from 2 – 5 star.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/upgrades-to-luxury-quarantine-available-for-returnees

Think I'll sneak in as a fake passenger at Swampy and see if I can get 14 nights full board at the Peninsula for 1000 baht a night that ubonjoe mentioned.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

... here's some live info in this regard ...

2 hours ago, Greg O said:

Other people with family or family business with a compelling reason to Thai immigration and they have to deposit the entire amount of the price of passage and the cost of 14 days in quarantine at an approved hotel and will then be placed on a " wait list " I'm waiting for confirmation for my gf that's in Dubai now. She's a Dutch National with business interests and Thai family here. There are presently over 3000 people on the wait list in UAE. Total nonsense but that's the " unpublished procedure" remember anything can happen here. To put it in perspective I deposited 140,000 cash to immigration today. 

Edited by jollyhangmon

32 minutes ago, phetchy said:

The article is frightening. It seems Thailand is bracing for no entry for most foreigners for at least  year, may be more. It keeps talking about untill a vaccine is found or the virus disappears. It may take few years before the virus disappers. Spanish flu took 3-years to disappear. What the perpetual tourists would do? Their days are numbered. All the efforts TI put to deny entry for years was achived by China by unleasing this virus. Dreams of Issan girls for winning a lottery by finding a foreign husband are dashed. Dreams of foreigners for finding a bride and a marriage visa in Thailand are shattered. Dreams of countless people engaging in sex orgy in Thailand would remain dreams only. Now people have to learn to live in their home lands and find brides in their own country or engage in sex orgy with native sex workers. Issan girls have to get education or work in fields or sell chickens. Is that going to be the "new normal"? Sad sad sad.

Edited by Mulambana
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mulambana said:

The article is frightening. It seems Thailand is bracing for no entry for most foreigners for at least  year, may be more. It keeps talking about untill a vaccine is found or the virus disappears. It may take few years before the virus disappers. Spanish flu took 3-years to disappear. What the perpetual tourists would do? Their days are numbered. All the efforts TI put to deny entry for years was achived by China by unleasing this virus. Dreams of Issan girls for winning a lottery by finding a foreign husband are dashed. Dreams of foreigners for finding a bride and a marriage visa in Thailand are shattered. Dreams of countless people engaging in sex orgy in Thailand would remain dreams only. Now people have to learn to live in their home lands and find brides in their own country or engage in sex orgy with native sex workers. Issan girls have to get education or work in fields or sell chickens. Is that going to be the "new normal"? Sad sad sad.

I agree.. it IS frightening... but.. I think (my opinion only) is that what this person is really speaking to is not the reality (or will not be the reality) in the next few months or the very short term.. but more in the medium to longer term.. that is until when there is a verifiable and widely obtainable true vaccine for COVID19... I think in the short term it's all going to be about testing at the point of initial entry, then 14-days state-confinement and finally retesting before release into the general public... to me, I don't see any other way to do it with what resources are currently available on the ground, combined with the costs and finally the logistical process and scope of the people that would be involved.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

... here's some live info in this regard ...

Unfortunately only one posters unsubstantiated post who has not responded to another poster's suggestion of posting some more detail........... 

18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Ah. 'The hidden cost' trick. There was also a video posted here recently whereby they were accommodated for free at a Thai air force base. So it's a mixed story. 

A Thai airforce base is not same as hotels in BKK or Pattaya,and not for same type of people. If the cost for staying at a nice hotel in BKK is a requirement when being repatriated, it's not a hidden cost. 

17 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

A Thai airforce base is not same as hotels in BKK or Pattaya,and not for same type of people. If the cost for staying at a nice hotel in BKK is a requirement when being repatriated, it's not a hidden cost. 

Yes I agree. I'm beginning to see now that, for those who can afford it, (or whose family can) an hotel is a better option. But there will be, inevitably be many coming back from abroad who have lost their jobs and may well be destitute. (I'm thinking here about the many Thais that I knew working in Egypt)

For them there would be no option but to accept the government's free accommodation, whatever the standard.

So let's settle on 'a 2 tier system' shall we?

6 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Thats an interesting read. Anyone know what a "fit to fly" certificate entails, what is it??

A fit to fly is a medical certificate stating you are not infected with covid 19 and it has be proven by a test for it.

As far as I know that requirement went away when they started requiring a enforced 14 day quarantine.

This is also a problem with the new QR tracking \ signing in out process in Thailand supermarkets etc, if you get caught up in a Covid case who walked past you you could be quarantined for 14 days with no symptoms then handed a big bill.

Not an issue now but when the cases start picking up once the borders open it may be time to avoid the QR code

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Thats an interesting read.

That article is just a description of the current situation with some speculation on what the restrictions could be when the foreigner access is granted to Thailand, nothing really concrete or certain.

The continuation of the 14-day quarantine requirement would mean a policy of no foreign tourism to Thailand.

For the month of July, maybe, but the rest of the year and maybe more?

Will they they do it? You have to consider consequences to the Thai economy.

27 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

This is also a problem with the new QR tracking \ signing in out process in Thailand supermarkets etc, if you get caught up in a Covid case who walked past you you could be quarantined for 14 days with no symptoms then handed a big bill.

Not an issue now but when the cases start picking up once the borders open it may be time to avoid the QR code

Now that is one huge stretch of the imagination! Imagine if our covid positive victim was found to have been in a large and busy mall with maybe a thousand shoppers in there. How are they going to deal with that lot?

I've lost the link now, but I did read that any potential contacts would receive an SMS advising them to self monitor themselves and to seek medical advice if they show symptoms. They would also be eligible for a free test. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Now that is one huge stretch of the imagination! Imagine if our covid positive victim was found to have been in a large and busy mall with maybe a thousand shoppers in there. How are they going to deal with that lot?

I've lost the link now, but I did read that any potential contacts would receive an SMS advising them to self monitor themselves and to seek medical advice if they show symptoms. They would also be eligible for a free test. 

i recall the bit about an SMS and free test but nothing about self monitoring. Everything here seems to be about 14 days quarantine

52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I believe there is also a time element in the decision process. eg you must have been within "x" metres of a case for more than "y" minutes before you would be targetted for tracking.

Edited by treetops

18 minutes ago, treetops said:

I believe there is also a time element in the decision process. eg you must have been within "x" metres of a case for more than "y" minutes before you would be targetted for tracking.

To put it quite simply, that is technically not feasible. It is not a movement tracking app such as one might use for walking. In fact it's not even an app at all. It is simply a data capturing platform that relies on the data that you provide.

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

To put it quite simply, that is technically not feasible. It is not a movement tracking app such as one might use for walking. In fact it's not even an app at all. It is simply a data capturing platform that relies on the data that you provide.

Apologies, I was confusing its abilities with more complex ones being rolled out elsewhere which do have this capability.

3 minutes ago, treetops said:

Apologies, I was confusing its abilities with more complex ones being rolled out elsewhere which do have this capability.

But with that we would have the issues of government tracking or mind control which we hear even with this system.  

Mind control' AI chips can alter a person's moods | Daily Mail Online

15 minutes ago, treetops said:

Indeed so. In fact the Royal Thai Air Force have come up with such an app. Google 'covid air track' (Can't provide the link because it's on the rival news media)

I rather suspect though that there really would be strong resistance on the grounds of privacy issues. 

Edited by Moonlover