BANGKOK

- asking for a friend; Employed as a school teacher in Thailand, presently stranded out of country; so I think will be subject to 14 day quarantine upon Re-entry. He has a Re-entry Permit.

- Will he have to bear the cost of his quarantine ? If yes, does anyone have an idea of the cost ?

- presuming he will also need a "fit to fly" medical certificate, and medical insurance ?

It is unknown at this time what will be required when passenger flight are allowed into the country again.

Thais being repatriated have had to pay for their rooms. Not sure what the cost is. I have heard of 1000 baht a day and meals are included.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is unknown at this time what will be required when passenger flight are allowed into the country again.

Thais being repatriated have had to pay for their rooms. Not sure what the cost is. I have heard of 1000 baht a day and meals are included.

Not so UJ. At the moment it is free. here's a quote from The Thaiger:

Taweesin says the government may not be able to continue providing free state quarantine once the state of emergency is lifted and more people begin arriving from other countries. However, travellers would be able to choose paid accommodation at hotels which had partnered with hospitals.. The standard of hotels would range from 2 – 5 star.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/upgrades-to-luxury-quarantine-available-for-returnees

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I have read otherwise. Those being put into quarantine in Bangkok and Pattaya had to pay for it. It is part of the deal to get on a repatriation flight.

There are some provincial quarantine locations that are free.

As OP referred to his friend having a re-entry permit sounds like he is asking for a foreigner in which case cannot enter period at this time and I believe until end of June.

Too soon to say what the requirements will be for foreigners to enter once the ban is lifted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I have read otherwise. Those being put into quarantine in Bangkok and Pattaya had to pay for it. It is part of the deal to get on a repatriation flight.

Ah. 'The hidden cost' trick. There was also a video posted here recently whereby they were accommodated for free at a Thai air force base. So it's a mixed story. 

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

There was also a video posted here recently whereby they were accommodated for free at a Thai air force base.

That was back in the early days when they were getting people out of China.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't know how it works, but I know for sure a Thai friend came from the Maldives and was quarantined at The Ambassador in Jomtien for free for 14 days with all meals.  She had to pay if she wanted something other than the menu offered but that was the only charge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allane said:

asking for a friend; Employed as a school teacher in Thailand, presently stranded out of country;

Have him make sure he will still have a job as at least some schools are emergency hiring anyone available in country now to replace those out of country as there is little or no hope they will be able to return for start of school (June or July).  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Taweesin says the government may not be able to continue providing free state quarantine once the state of emergency is lifted and more people begin arriving from other countries. However, travellers would be able to choose paid accommodation at hotels which had partnered with hospitals.. The standard of hotels would range from 2 – 5 star.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/upgrades-to-luxury-quarantine-available-for-returnees

Think I'll sneak in as a fake passenger at Swampy and see if I can get 14 nights full board at the Peninsula for 1000 baht a night that ubonjoe mentioned.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

... here's some live info in this regard ...

2 hours ago, Greg O said:

Other people with family or family business with a compelling reason to Thai immigration and they have to deposit the entire amount of the price of passage and the cost of 14 days in quarantine at an approved hotel and will then be placed on a " wait list " I'm waiting for confirmation for my gf that's in Dubai now. She's a Dutch National with business interests and Thai family here. There are presently over 3000 people on the wait list in UAE. Total nonsense but that's the " unpublished procedure" remember anything can happen here. To put it in perspective I deposited 140,000 cash to immigration today. 

Edited by jollyhangmon

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, phetchy said:

The article is frightening. It seems Thailand is bracing for no entry for most foreigners for at least  year, may be more. It keeps talking about untill a vaccine is found or the virus disappears. It may take few years before the virus disappers. Spanish flu took 3-years to disappear. What the perpetual tourists would do? Their days are numbered. All the efforts TI put to deny entry for years was achived by China by unleasing this virus. Dreams of Issan girls for winning a lottery by finding a foreign husband are dashed. Dreams of foreigners for finding a bride and a marriage visa in Thailand are shattered. Dreams of countless people engaging in sex orgy in Thailand would remain dreams only. Now people have to learn to live in their home lands and find brides in their own country or engage in sex orgy with native sex workers. Issan girls have to get education or work in fields or sell chickens. Is that going to be the "new normal"? Sad sad sad.

Edited by Mulambana
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Mulambana said:

The article is frightening. It seems Thailand is bracing for no entry for most foreigners for at least  year, may be more. It keeps talking about untill a vaccine is found or the virus disappears. It may take few years before the virus disappers. Spanish flu took 3-years to disappear. What the perpetual tourists would do? Their days are numbered. All the efforts TI put to deny entry for years was achived by China by unleasing this virus. Dreams of Issan girls for winning a lottery by finding a foreign husband are dashed. Dreams of foreigners for finding a bride and a marriage visa in Thailand are shattered. Dreams of countless people engaging in sex orgy in Thailand would remain dreams only. Now people have to learn to live in their home lands and find brides in their own country or engage in sex orgy with native sex workers. Issan girls have to get education or work in fields or sell chickens. Is that going to be the "new normal"? Sad sad sad.

I agree.. it IS frightening... but.. I think (my opinion only) is that what this person is really speaking to is not the reality (or will not be the reality) in the next few months or the very short term.. but more in the medium to longer term.. that is until when there is a verifiable and widely obtainable true vaccine for COVID19... I think in the short term it's all going to be about testing at the point of initial entry, then 14-days state-confinement and finally retesting before release into the general public... to me, I don't see any other way to do it with what resources are currently available on the ground, combined with the costs and finally the logistical process and scope of the people that would be involved.

• Thanks 1