BANGKOK

Just now, ScotlandtheBrave said:

No, I am retired.

Sadly no unsecured card then. At one time AmEx were doing unsecured credit cards for non workers, it may be worth talking to them.

Posted (edited)

I agree with the Thai banks.  Foreigners should not be able to get a credit card.

Edited by johnray
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 10

3 minutes ago, doctormann said:

TMB even refused to open a secured account for me so that I could get a (pdeudo) credit card based on that account.  This, after having a savings account with them for 15 years.  They even denied that a foreigner could open a secured account, despite what it said on their web site at the time!

I had more luck with Kasikorn but it turned out, in the end, that they would only issue a credit card on a secured account if I purchased some expensive insurance from them.  I didn't pursue the matter.

I think, to some extent, the response that you get depends on the particular branch that you are dealing with so it might be worthwhile trying a different one.  My experience was with the main branches of TMB and Kasikorn in Pattaya.

i think it very unlikely though that you will get an unsecured credit card here unless you have a work permit and a job.

As one poster said, a CC will be issued for the amount a customer is willing to deposit in a fixed term account.     It does come with a slight caveat.

Banks in Thailand don't seem to recognize  or reward customer loyalty.    I once asked KBank if there was a threshold  deposit amount after which the bank would waive fees.    The answer was NO!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Secured which any farang can get whether retired or working as you must place a locked deposit with the Thai bank issuing the credit card that acts as security/collateral for your credit card bills.  Typically, with a Bt100K locked deposit you will get you a Bt50K credit line.  There is no risk to the bank.  You can't get that Bt100K back until you pay off your credit card balance, the card is cancelled,  and then there is usually another 30-45 day waiting period to ensure no late arriving charges.   

I agree but would add that in my case, I was required to return the two cards issued against the account even though the cards had expired over two years earlier.

I asked the manager if that meant the cards were still good for use and she replied --  MAYBE?

Incredible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

Secured which any farang can get whether retired or working as you must place a locked deposit with the Thai bank issuing the credit card that acts as security/collateral for your credit card bills.  Typically, with a Bt100K locked deposit you will get you a Bt50K credit line.  There is no risk to the bank.  You can't get that Bt100K back until you pay off your credit card balance, the card is cancelled,  and then there is usually another 30-45 day waiting period to ensure no late arriving charges.   

Is this gospel, Pib? if so that sounds fair enough to me and I would be very interested?

• Like 1

I think some of these Bank branches make their own rules as they go along, personally I have never had a problem and found SCB down where I live to be a bit more flexible I've seen where one bank say you have to have a WP to open a savings account and another no problem

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

CitiBank are the one. Very easy and quick to setup (all through email and post), good benefits (reward points, unlimited airport lounge pass, reduced golf courses etc), high amount of credit and most importantly a very good English speaking call center.

I have never heard anything good about credit cards from Thai banks. Even my wife moans about SCB with her credit card. 

Edit: Just saw you said you're retired. I guess CitiBank would likely also say no.

Edited by BobbyL