Credit Card from TMB - "farang cannot"

15 hours ago, Pib said:

And staying in the acct for 12 months will probably not mean that after 12 months you can withdraw the money and continue to use the card; the rep may have meant the deposit would be made in the form of a 12 month fixed deposit which would continue to roll over into another 12 month fixed deposit as long as you keep the credit card.

That is exactly what I encountered with my CC experience.    

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

Sadly no unsecured card then. At one time AmEx were doing unsecured credit cards for non workers, it may be worth talking to them.

I have an Amex Platinum Card issued in Bangkok. I am also retired and over 80 years old. Amex have been a great help recently in getting me an airline refund within 24 hours-the airline were trying to fob me off with a voucher. There is a 100,000 baht limit on said card.

• Like 1

We’ve banked with the SCB FOR 11 years. Couple of years ago the bank asked me if I would like a credit card. I’m on retired status so wondered if it was a secured card. ie you have to pay into an account the credit limit of the card. I checked it out and it’s actually a pucker credit card, reasonable limit , no security deposit required and I just pay off the balance monthly if I use it.( optional).

17 hours ago, ScotlandtheBrave said:

No, I am retired.

Given work permit is required to apply, being retired this will not be hard to provide. But credit cards are of course possible to get by foreigners in Thailand, provided they have work permit, valid non-B visa or residence, work for reputable companies and have a relatively high salary (15000 baht minimum for Thais won't cut it).

Bangkok Bank allows secured credit cards (you need to put money into bank account as a guarantee) and that is how much "credit" you get on the card. You are really crediting yourself but it is a workaround if you just need a credit card for hotels and planes booking, etc. American Express charge card (green or gold) might also be an option as they require full payment of outstanding invoice.

All credit cards however have also age limit to when you can apply. So if you are retired, but have a wife that still works, you may ask her to apply and apply for supplementary card for you. It looks the same as primary card, just that statement is sent to her name/address and she is responsible for paying the bills, regardless which card is used, and the credit limit is shared by both, usually per-determined amount to each card.

17 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Is this gospel, Pib? if so that sounds fair enough to me and I would be very interested?

To add to Pibs point it depends on which bank.  I have a credit card with Krungsri - I paid a deposit and got a credit card with limit of 90% of the deposit amount.  With my card you get points on purchases, discount on fuel a whole host of deals on travel, hotels etc, discounts at restuarants etc.  They offer other things like accumulate certain amount of points can be converted to cash and paid onto your card, convert to frequent flyer points etc etc.

Krungsri are fairly clear on foreigners having secured credit cards. 

Link for one of their cards to check out.

https://www.krungsricard.com/en/Product/CreditCard/Exclusive/Krungsri-Visa-Platinum.html

2 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

One thing I have done and suggest if you get a credit card is to scratch off the CVV on the back of the card (after you have written it securely somewhere). It is only needed for online purchases and stops a sales person who you hand the card to writing it down and making a purchase on your card later.

I've heard that before, and I've done it as well.. One issue that I have run into - albeit very infrequently, is that I've had stores refuse to accept the card (before even putting it into the chip reader) under the grounds that it was "damaged" or "defaced"... again, very rare, but I have had it happen. I called Citibank (US) and they issued me a new card. but informally told me that I'm not allowed to scratch off or otherwise modify the card.

17 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I used mine when I was working from Thailand for flights and hotels.  It will have your name on it which the normal ATM debit card will not and that is needed for flights.  Paid off monthly so no interest to worry about.

Technically speaking, the cardholder name isn't actually used in the payment authorization process.

If you want to test it out, try putting something else in there like your partner's name or your pet's name. You could also type "PRIVILEGED MEMBER" as it is printed on the debit card and it would still work.

The only trouble you might get (though very unlikely in my experience) is if you put in a random name and the merchant notices it, thinking it's a stolen card number.

3 minutes ago, new2here said:

I've heard that before, and I've done it as well.. One issue that I have run into - albeit very infrequently, is that I've had stores refuse to accept the card (before even putting it into the chip reader) under the grounds that it was "damaged" or "defaced"... again, very rare, but I have had it happen. I called Citibank (US) and they issued me a new card. but informally told me that I'm not allowed to scratch off or otherwise modify the card.

Yes you are technically defacing their card.

But for the small number of times that would happen I will take the risk.

Having said that I have never had anyone use my card fraudulently in Thailand. I have had one of my Australian cards "used" in England but my Australian Bank picked it up before I did and contacted me.

If you have a bank account in your home country—better to find an international no-fee credit card, and use it here.  You get the international exchange rate (about 2% better) than a Thai bank credit card.

• Thanks 1

Thailand is talking about going "Cashless"    How is that going to work out when a farang  can not have a credit card .  Bangkok was not real happy when I ask for a debit card .  Finally I got my wife a debit card .    Credit card was not possible for her either because she had no job -  didn't matter how much money we had in that bank or how long we had had it there answer was NO

Ask for a copy of the rule that aliens are not allowed. I doubt very much that they would be able to supply it. Very often, it is not a government rule or a bank rule, but the rule of the bank clerk who for whatever reason doesn't want to extend the same service to an alien. It's the way they have ben raised. Ask around at different banks and eventually you'll find someone who might say yes instead of no.

I am retired and have been here since 1994. I have had a Citibank Credit Card for the last 26 years. Once you prove that you can pay the outstanding each month there is no problem. I can also get one from my bank, Bangkok Bank. Had an HSBC credit card also, which they secured with a yearly insurance payment. Citibank has an annual fee including insurance but this is waved if you have a reasonable amount of annual spending. I always pay mine on time, so I am low risk to them. If your local branch gives you a problem, go to the head office as it is the head office who decide whether to give you a credit card or not.

33 minutes ago, sangtip2 said:

Thailand is talking about going "Cashless"    How is that going to work out when a farang  can not have a credit card .  Bangkok was not real happy when I ask for a debit card .  Finally I got my wife a debit card .    Credit card was not possible for her either because she had no job -  didn't matter how much money we had in that bank or how long we had had it there answer was NO

Strange. They usually hand out DC's like confetti here, usually comes with the acc automatically.

36 minutes ago, sangtip2 said:

This, sadly, is another illustration of how things vary so much in Thailand by who you see and where you are.

My circumstances parallel your description but we have never had an issue, the wife has debit/credit cards and secured vehicle finance in the past without any issue. Amazing Thailand.

18 hours ago, ScotlandtheBrave said:

No, I am retired.

In some Thai banks you need a deposit as security to obtain a credit card. Some banks issues credit cards if you have money in a Fixed Deposit Account,and uses the money as security. Together with being a reliable customer,of course. It differs between banks. Why do you need a credit card in the first place? 

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you're wife has a credit card has nothing to do with this thread. She's Thai and officially just need a job that pays enough to pay taxes. 

My personal circumstances are not for you to comment on, I was responding to and quoted another member. When you are a Moderator you can make such comment and suggestions, until then, stop trolling.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Why do you need a credit card in the first place

Why do people keep asking this? If they want a credit card  its up to them not you or anyone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, new2here said:

You could use scratch-off stickers without defacing the card.

image.png.67cac6f3b6931c9ecc91cef2dd88c465.png

18 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I used mine when I was working from Thailand for flights and hotels.  It will have your name on it which the normal ATM debit card will not and that is needed for flights.  Paid off monthly so no interest to worry about.

Ahh now this is the only time i have had an issue with debit cards. I book and pay everything with a debit card, i have never had a credit card.

in the US i had to add some baggage on domestic flight which could not be done on their website when booking flight, long story.

So at check in went to pay cash, not allowed. Handed over debit card, no name on it so not allowed. I did have my girlfriends credit card with her name on it so used that. Crazy rule they dont take cash and no debit card but allowed me to illegally use another persons credit card.

Cant remember the airline, perhaps American airlines. Was from monterey to san diego.

A troll remark and and response to it removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

18 hours ago, Jlop said:

Is a secured credit card any better than a debit card? Bangkok Bank tells me I can get a debit card but I haven't tried yet. I haven't asked them about a credit card because I have credit cards in United States still.

Yes it is. Case and point it has your name on it. ?this allows you to rent cars and use at hotels.

19 hours ago, johnray said:

I agree with the Thai banks.  Foreigners should not be able to get a credit card.

Johnray

In the USA that would brand you as a RACIST  Democrats want them to get free housing, food, college tuition, stimulus payments, drivers license and of course the right to vote. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

My understanding is that generally you need to be employed in Thailand to secure a Thai bank credit card. Are you working? 

19 hours ago, Pib said:

Two types of credit cards you can get from Thai banks, unsecured and secured. 

Unsecured is generally for those who are Thai citizens or farangs with work permits "and" sufficient earnings (i.e., from a job)---must meet both requirements.  This means the typical farang retired to Thailand will not qualify even if you receive a monthly govt pension of a gazillion baht.  Thai citizens or farangs legally  working in Thailand are considered to be safe enough credit risks....can not or much less likely just to leave Thailand with paying their credit card bill.

Secured which any farang can get whether retired or working as you must place a locked deposit with the Thai bank issuing the credit card that acts as security/collateral for your credit card bills.  Typically, with a Bt100K locked deposit you will get you a Bt50K credit line.  There is no risk to the bank.  You can't get that Bt100K back until you pay off your credit card balance, the card is cancelled,  and then there is usually another 30-45 day waiting period to ensure no late arriving charges.   

Not my experience.

I am retired, have never worked in Thailand, never had a WP.

I have a credit card via Krungsri bank which I have had since they acquired HSBC's retail business.

I do not have any money locked away at all.

I find the credit card side of their business extremely helpful. I can call them when I need to extend my credit limit and it's done instantaneously. I pay the full amount of my bill each month.

Different banks and different bank branches apply their own rules. 

Naturalized Thai citizen. Had a secured card for 4 years against 500k thb fixed deposit. On 4th year, credit limit was increased beyond fixed deposit amount and after another year card was unlinked from the pledged funds. My Krungsri card is now an unsecured credit card.