Credit Card from TMB - "farang cannot"

2 hours ago, tom in bangkok said:

Technically speaking, the cardholder name isn't actually used in the payment authorization process.

If you want to test it out, try putting something else in there like your partner's name or your pet's name. You could also type "PRIVILEGED MEMBER" as it is printed on the debit card and it would still work.

The only trouble you might get (though very unlikely in my experience) is if you put in a random name and the merchant notices it, thinking it's a stolen card number.

I did this in a way - when getting a Platinum Amex in Hong Kong - you would have the account holder name and "name to appear on the card" - obviously as people dont use their full names in everyday life eg, middle name so as  joke 

as example instead of using say Mr at the front of my name i used Lord and it was accepted.

21 hours ago, ScotlandtheBrave said:

No, I am retired.

This is correct, if retired - like me! I lived in Thailand for 20 years and could never get a Thai credit card IN MY NAME! Debit card, no problem. Thai banks will issue a credit card but it has to be in a Thai partner's name - FATAL!!

• Haha 1

The benefits of having a local credit card are obvious if used in Thailand. No foreign exchange loss on every transaction being the main one. Cards offer other multitude of benefits, eg. Citibank cash back card offers 1% cash back on all shopping, 5% at Boots and Watsons, 11% on BTS and MRT. If that suits your lifestyle it's worth it.  For others, maybe not. In addition they can be linked to other electronic payment methods, or used to pay bills with no additional fees.

It's worth noting that those that got them many years ago still have them, they never get cancelled as long as you use them.  So if you are in employment it is worth getting one so that you may keep it when you may not qualify e.g. in retirement. And the rules change so what may have been easy 20 years ago may not now.

The easiest way to get one for those in retirement or who don't want to put a deposit down is to get a supplementary card from their spouses card.

16 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Tell 'em to get stuffed and get a Visa or Amex card instead .. 

Whether the card carries the Visa, Mastercard, Amex, UnionPay, or whatever "card network logo" has nothing to do in determining if a bank or credit card company will issue you a credit card.    The card network (i.e., Visa, Amex, etc) does not determine if you qualify for a credit card but the card-issuing bank/credit card company.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Pib said:

Whether the card carries the Visa, Mastercard, Amex, UnionPay, or whatever "card network logo" has nothing to do in determining if a bank or credit card company will issue you a credit card.    The card network (i.e., Visa, Amex, etc) does not determine if you qualify for a credit card but the card-issuing bank/credit card company.

But it determines where you can spend it and how.

I was fortunate enough to be able to get the Platinum CC from Kbank (unsecured in my name) about 6 years ago. Initially the limit was set at 125,000. Every few years they've increased the limit which is now at 250,000. They also offered me their Passion credit card which rewards extra points and discounts at various places (restaurants, golf courses, spas). 

It is possible to be accepted but it all depends on where you apply. I was initially denied due to not having been in the country long enough so once I'd passed that amount of time, my colleague got her husband (a Kbank branch manager) to process my application which was then accepted. I don't know if it was solely because of him but I'm sure it helped. 

3 minutes ago, bfc1980 said:

I was fortunate enough to be able to get the Platinum CC from Kbank (unsecured in my name) about 6 years ago. Initially the limit was set at 125,000. Every few years they've increased the limit which is now at 250,000. They also offered me their Passion credit card which rewards extra points and discounts at various places (restaurants, golf courses, spas). 

It is possible to be accepted but it all depends on where you apply. I was initially denied due to not having been in the country long enough so once I'd passed that amount of time, my colleague got her husband (a Kbank branch manager) to process my application which was then accepted. I don't know if it was solely because of him but I'm sure it helped. 

I applied for my secured credit card from a Bangkok Bank Branch in Chiang Mai. After taking much longer than I was told I did a post on here asking others experience. Within a couple days I had a call from a THAI lady claiming she was from the main credit card section of the Bangkok Bank. To cut story short she was and I received my card soon after. Obviously monitoring TVF.

2 hours ago, tom in bangkok said:

But it determines where you can spend it and how.

The card-issuing bank primarily determines that....how much your purchase limit is...what your cash advance limit is....whether the card can be used outside the home country without prior notification....benefits earned...etc.    The card-network (i.e., Visa, Mastercard, etc) really just provides the network allowing the card to be used worldwide (or as allowed by the card-issuing bank), processes the transactions, etc., basically the all important middle man. 

1 hour ago, Pib said:

The card-issuing bank primarily determines that....how much your purchase limit is...what your cash advance limit is....whether the card can be used outside the home country without prior notification....benefits earned...etc.    The card-network (i.e., Visa, Mastercard, etc) really just provides the network allowing the card to be used worldwide (or as allowed by the card-issuing bank), processes the transactions, etc., basically the all important middle man. 

Yeah you're spot on, though a lot of banks have comparable systems.

But if a merchant doesn't accept your Visa debit card, that's not the issuing bank's fault.

On 5/26/2020 at 9:06 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

His post does not say he is retired,

Didnt reckon I needed to spell it out.

Maybe you should take your time to read comments, there is no rush to reply/make comment. 

Maybe so should you. His next post (#3) says he is retired.

My earlier question was somewhat rhetorical as after I read you explaining how you got your three Thai credit cards whilst not working here since you "own several properties, vehicles, watches etc. having considerable assets here in Thailand security is a priority for valuables", I thought you were just showing off.

Edited by MJKT2014

On 5/26/2020 at 11:37 AM, Thomas J said:

Johnray

In the USA that would brand you as a RACIST  Democrats want them to get free housing, food, college tuition, stimulus payments, drivers license and of course the right to vote. 

Wow bashing the Democrats in USA with fake talking points - a bit off-topic!