BANGKOK

xenophobic country

where a farmer can get a credit card, unsecured

but the nasty farang could run away and not pay his bill... is the attitude

time to change BANKS

15 hours ago, Pib said:

And staying in the acct for 12 months will probably not mean that after 12 months you can withdraw the money and continue to use the card; the rep may have meant the deposit would be made in the form of a 12 month fixed deposit which would continue to roll over into another 12 month fixed deposit as long as you keep the credit card.

That is exactly what I encountered with my CC experience.    

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

Sadly no unsecured card then. At one time AmEx were doing unsecured credit cards for non workers, it may be worth talking to them.

I have an Amex Platinum Card issued in Bangkok. I am also retired and over 80 years old. Amex have been a great help recently in getting me an airline refund within 24 hours-the airline were trying to fob me off with a voucher. There is a 100,000 baht limit on said card.

• Like 1

We’ve banked with the SCB FOR 11 years. Couple of years ago the bank asked me if I would like a credit card. I’m on retired status so wondered if it was a secured card. ie you have to pay into an account the credit limit of the card. I checked it out and it’s actually a pucker credit card, reasonable limit , no security deposit required and I just pay off the balance monthly if I use it.( optional).

17 hours ago, ScotlandtheBrave said:

No, I am retired.

Given work permit is required to apply, being retired this will not be hard to provide. But credit cards are of course possible to get by foreigners in Thailand, provided they have work permit, valid non-B visa or residence, work for reputable companies and have a relatively high salary (15000 baht minimum for Thais won't cut it).

Bangkok Bank allows secured credit cards (you need to put money into bank account as a guarantee) and that is how much "credit" you get on the card. You are really crediting yourself but it is a workaround if you just need a credit card for hotels and planes booking, etc. American Express charge card (green or gold) might also be an option as they require full payment of outstanding invoice.

All credit cards however have also age limit to when you can apply. So if you are retired, but have a wife that still works, you may ask her to apply and apply for supplementary card for you. It looks the same as primary card, just that statement is sent to her name/address and she is responsible for paying the bills, regardless which card is used, and the credit limit is shared by both, usually per-determined amount to each card.

17 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Is this gospel, Pib? if so that sounds fair enough to me and I would be very interested?

To add to Pibs point it depends on which bank.  I have a credit card with Krungsri - I paid a deposit and got a credit card with limit of 90% of the deposit amount.  With my card you get points on purchases, discount on fuel a whole host of deals on travel, hotels etc, discounts at restuarants etc.  They offer other things like accumulate certain amount of points can be converted to cash and paid onto your card, convert to frequent flyer points etc etc.

Krungsri are fairly clear on foreigners having secured credit cards. 

Link for one of their cards to check out.

https://www.krungsricard.com/en/Product/CreditCard/Exclusive/Krungsri-Visa-Platinum.html

2 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

One thing I have done and suggest if you get a credit card is to scratch off the CVV on the back of the card (after you have written it securely somewhere). It is only needed for online purchases and stops a sales person who you hand the card to writing it down and making a purchase on your card later.

I've heard that before, and I've done it as well.. One issue that I have run into - albeit very infrequently, is that I've had stores refuse to accept the card (before even putting it into the chip reader) under the grounds that it was "damaged" or "defaced"... again, very rare, but I have had it happen. I called Citibank (US) and they issued me a new card. but informally told me that I'm not allowed to scratch off or otherwise modify the card.

17 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I used mine when I was working from Thailand for flights and hotels.  It will have your name on it which the normal ATM debit card will not and that is needed for flights.  Paid off monthly so no interest to worry about.

Technically speaking, the cardholder name isn't actually used in the payment authorization process.

If you want to test it out, try putting something else in there like your partner's name or your pet's name. You could also type "PRIVILEGED MEMBER" as it is printed on the debit card and it would still work.

The only trouble you might get (though very unlikely in my experience) is if you put in a random name and the merchant notices it, thinking it's a stolen card number.

3 minutes ago, new2here said:

I've heard that before, and I've done it as well.. One issue that I have run into - albeit very infrequently, is that I've had stores refuse to accept the card (before even putting it into the chip reader) under the grounds that it was "damaged" or "defaced"... again, very rare, but I have had it happen. I called Citibank (US) and they issued me a new card. but informally told me that I'm not allowed to scratch off or otherwise modify the card.

Yes you are technically defacing their card.

But for the small number of times that would happen I will take the risk.

Having said that I have never had anyone use my card fraudulently in Thailand. I have had one of my Australian cards "used" in England but my Australian Bank picked it up before I did and contacted me.

If you have a bank account in your home country—better to find an international no-fee credit card, and use it here.  You get the international exchange rate (about 2% better) than a Thai bank credit card.

• Thanks 1

Thailand is talking about going "Cashless"    How is that going to work out when a farang  can not have a credit card .  Bangkok was not real happy when I ask for a debit card .  Finally I got my wife a debit card .    Credit card was not possible for her either because she had no job -  didn't matter how much money we had in that bank or how long we had had it there answer was NO

Ask for a copy of the rule that aliens are not allowed. I doubt very much that they would be able to supply it. Very often, it is not a government rule or a bank rule, but the rule of the bank clerk who for whatever reason doesn't want to extend the same service to an alien. It's the way they have ben raised. Ask around at different banks and eventually you'll find someone who might say yes instead of no.

I am retired and have been here since 1994. I have had a Citibank Credit Card for the last 26 years. Once you prove that you can pay the outstanding each month there is no problem. I can also get one from my bank, Bangkok Bank. Had an HSBC credit card also, which they secured with a yearly insurance payment. Citibank has an annual fee including insurance but this is waved if you have a reasonable amount of annual spending. I always pay mine on time, so I am low risk to them. If your local branch gives you a problem, go to the head office as it is the head office who decide whether to give you a credit card or not.

33 minutes ago, sangtip2 said:

Thailand is talking about going "Cashless"    How is that going to work out when a farang  can not have a credit card .  Bangkok was not real happy when I ask for a debit card .  Finally I got my wife a debit card .    Credit card was not possible for her either because she had no job -  didn't matter how much money we had in that bank or how long we had had it there answer was NO

Strange. They usually hand out DC's like confetti here, usually comes with the acc automatically.

36 minutes ago, sangtip2 said:

This, sadly, is another illustration of how things vary so much in Thailand by who you see and where you are.

My circumstances parallel your description but we have never had an issue, the wife has debit/credit cards and secured vehicle finance in the past without any issue. Amazing Thailand.