BANGKOK

18 hours ago, ScotlandtheBrave said:

No, I am retired.

In some Thai banks you need a deposit as security to obtain a credit card. Some banks issues credit cards if you have money in a Fixed Deposit Account,and uses the money as security. Together with being a reliable customer,of course. It differs between banks. Why do you need a credit card in the first place? 

Troll remark removed.

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you're wife has a credit card has nothing to do with this thread. She's Thai and officially just need a job that pays enough to pay taxes. 

My personal circumstances are not for you to comment on, I was responding to and quoted another member. When you are a Moderator you can make such comment and suggestions, until then, stop trolling.

• Like 1

About 18 months ago Amex told  me if I had 4,000,000 baht or more in my bank account for 6 consecutive months they would issue me a card.  I'm retired. 

18 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Why do you need a credit card in the first place

Why do people keep asking this? If they want a credit card  its up to them not you or anyone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, new2here said:

I've heard that before, and I've done it as well.. One issue that I have run into - albeit very infrequently, is that I've had stores refuse to accept the card (before even putting it into the chip reader) under the grounds that it was "damaged" or "defaced"... again, very rare, but I have had it happen. I called Citibank (US) and they issued me a new card. but informally told me that I'm not allowed to scratch off or otherwise modify the card.

You could use scratch-off stickers without defacing the card.

image.png.67cac6f3b6931c9ecc91cef2dd88c465.png

18 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I used mine when I was working from Thailand for flights and hotels.  It will have your name on it which the normal ATM debit card will not and that is needed for flights.  Paid off monthly so no interest to worry about.

Ahh now this is the only time i have had an issue with debit cards. I book and pay everything with a debit card, i have never had a credit card.

in the US i had to add some baggage on domestic flight which could not be done on their website when booking flight, long story.

So at check in went to pay cash, not allowed. Handed over debit card, no name on it so not allowed. I did have my girlfriends credit card with her name on it so used that. Crazy rule they dont take cash and no debit card but allowed me to illegally use another persons credit card.

Cant remember the airline, perhaps American airlines. Was from monterey to san diego.

Did you take a shower? Asking for minister Anutin ........... 

Posted (edited)

I am retired. Have a "be First" Master Card from Bangkok Bank since two Weeks. So, no Problem.

Edited by ujayujay

A troll remark and and response to it removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

18 hours ago, Jlop said:

Is a secured credit card any better than a debit card? Bangkok Bank tells me I can get a debit card but I haven't tried yet. I haven't asked them about a credit card because I have credit cards in United States still.

Yes it is. Case and point it has your name on it. ?this allows you to rent cars and use at hotels.

19 hours ago, johnray said:

I agree with the Thai banks.  Foreigners should not be able to get a credit card.

Johnray

In the USA that would brand you as a RACIST  Democrats want them to get free housing, food, college tuition, stimulus payments, drivers license and of course the right to vote. 

• Haha 1

I asked K - Bank and they said I needed to be on a retirement visa in which I wasn't. I have had the wife get one in my name now, but it is still secured with 100K. 

20 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

My understanding is that generally you need to be employed in Thailand to secure a Thai bank credit card. Are you working? 

19 hours ago, Pib said:

Two types of credit cards you can get from Thai banks, unsecured and secured. 

Unsecured is generally for those who are Thai citizens or farangs with work permits "and" sufficient earnings (i.e., from a job)---must meet both requirements.  This means the typical farang retired to Thailand will not qualify even if you receive a monthly govt pension of a gazillion baht.  Thai citizens or farangs legally  working in Thailand are considered to be safe enough credit risks....can not or much less likely just to leave Thailand with paying their credit card bill.

Secured which any farang can get whether retired or working as you must place a locked deposit with the Thai bank issuing the credit card that acts as security/collateral for your credit card bills.  Typically, with a Bt100K locked deposit you will get you a Bt50K credit line.  There is no risk to the bank.  You can't get that Bt100K back until you pay off your credit card balance, the card is cancelled,  and then there is usually another 30-45 day waiting period to ensure no late arriving charges.   

Not my experience.

I am retired, have never worked in Thailand, never had a WP.

I have a credit card via Krungsri bank which I have had since they acquired HSBC's retail business.

I do not have any money locked away at all.

I find the credit card side of their business extremely helpful. I can call them when I need to extend my credit limit and it's done instantaneously. I pay the full amount of my bill each month.

Different banks and different bank branches apply their own rules. 

Naturalized Thai citizen. Had a secured card for 4 years against 500k thb fixed deposit. On 4th year, credit limit was increased beyond fixed deposit amount and after another year card was unlinked from the pledged funds. My Krungsri card is now an unsecured credit card.