Home at last! "Starving and mistreated" British pensioner back in England "eating nonstop"

webfact

13 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Nice to see everything has worked out well for him. I would have thought perhaps he and his daughter would have been in contact thruout the years. And great for the gentleman to pay his airfare home. Kudos.

He didn't pay out of his own pocket. The article talks about "crowdfunding", this means posting it online and expecting the viewers to contribute a little each one to achieve a certain amount. So it was successful, this shows how many good hearted people are out there!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EricTh said:

So why did he go to Thailand when he was well-treated in UK? At 86, he shouldn't be looking for Thai women.

Why not, are you well past it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Sad, but utterly predictable story. What is it that makes old white farts from Europe, US etc, actually imagine that there is something inherently special about them, so that poor women from around the world want to look after them in their idiotic dotage. Yeah money is a thing for sure, if you understand that what you are getting is paid for personal home care, forget romance, no one is interested any more. Sadly you are on the scrapheap of life. Why not just stay in Slough, or Stoke or wherever, and get decent care. Dreams are great, but such fantasies are deluded.

Some of these old boys are romantics at heart, lonely or are simply addicted to wedding cake.

An old pal of mine in his 70s has just got married for the 5th time, twice to English women and three times to Thais.

I know several old ex pats in Pattaya, both single fellows and those in relationships who would not go back to Slough or Stoke at any price.

Wild horses would not be able to drag 'em back especially to the UK. Especially not to a care home like the one in which 20 of the 60 residents have recently died of CV19.

And few of them have relatives willing to take them in.

Right now you'd have your work cut out trying to get an OAP with his or her wits about them going anywhere near a care home let alone consenting to be put in one.

The old chaps in Pattaya I know have fellow ex pats, long termer chums or ordinary holiday makers usually staying in the same hotel or guest house who look out for them.

While those who move out to the boondocks are left to their own devices and have to rely on people who are to all extents and purposes virtual strangers, often without a common language.

Some come to regret it but are reluctant to lose face by admitting that making the move was a huge mistake. Like the old boy in this story.

Edited by yogi100
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, but of course. Now we must think that this is a big risk if living in Thailand, and that many cases like this exist everywhere. This was bad people that absolutely shall not be identified to present the greater group of Thais or Thai women. Why are you posting such silly things that we are just human ATMs? That is just a tell-tale that has been made up of people that visit Thailand and starts unhealthy relations with Thai bar girls a.k.a. hookers. That is a part that has absolutely no relation or connection with the real Thailand and the genuine Thai people. Exactly same difference that it is in your home country between a hooker and a person living a so called normal life.

do not discriminate hookers like that, this also is a so called normal life? or are u living  a so called normal catholic life?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, yogi100 said:
18 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

What a sad and pathetic story. Goes to show that with age doesn't necessarily come wisdom.

Unfortunately senility and dementia do often come with age.

I am not quite 86, but you need to find a woman to trust before you get old, or get the flock outter here.

Allan B. 

Adage, 'there is no fool like an old fool' 

Nothing scarier than being old, infirm, bit senile and in Thailand. Talk about being a piece of raw meat in a shark tank. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, wazzupnow said:

do not discriminate hookers like that, this also is a so called normal life? or are u living  a so called normal catholic life?

Why do you bring religion into this? What´s that got to do with it?

You can call me what you want after reading this, but a so called "normal life" have some codes and moral boundaries. One of those do not include selling your body as living a normal life. After that, of course everybody has their own way of looking at things. However, if you go by the general and traditional way of looking at a normal life, then I am spot on.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Blumpie said:

No police involved - of course!

Why would they?  IT's bad press.  It was just a "misunderstanding".  Amazing Thailand, LOL!  

Nah, not really. As I read and understand, neither the man or his relatives wanted to involve the police. That as well as that the people where he lived did not resist when Declan went to get him also contributes to no police involvement. About the stolen and lost money? Yeah, what can we say? The family that took it will not have any to give back.

Sure, I agree that they should have some kind of punishment, but when neither the old gentleman or his family whish to press charges, who should do?

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

So why did he go to Thailand when he was well-treated in UK? At 86, he shouldn't be looking for Thai women.

Why should he not be looking for Thai women.

I found a good one 27 years ago as did many of my friends who are still married after 10, 15, 20 years or more.

I have several friends who are 80+ years and still living with their wives.

Bad news sells but good news rarely does.

I just Googled my self on 3 separate sites and whilst they got my name right, they got my age wrong, I haven't lived at the address given for 20 years plus I have no idea who the photo is but it isn't me.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

If you Google his name it comes up with several results of people accusing him of various things.

I did and didn't see that. 

He appears to be a Liverpudlian Estate Agent - possibly Saint Declan! ???? ????

Fair play to him for helping this old guy who was unwise to come at his age in the first place.

But just how did the family contact him to help? 

If you were concerned about your aged relative, would you contact an estate agent?

Although to be fair, doubt the Embassy would be any help of give a monkey's. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

So what? Has he been arrested and charged with any thing?

Thing is Billd some folk just love stirring the s++t, cannot just be happy that an old man has been helped, just want to try AND DRAG UP anything.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, checkered flag said:

I thought there was a quarantine in the UK for overseas arrivals. Incoming travelers outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands, and Isle of Man must quarantine for 14 days upon arrival at their designated address, OR the UK will house you at your expense at one of the designated places (must be hotels).

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/05/uk-introduce-quarantine-international-arrivals-june-8-200522185903564.html

Britain will introduce a 14-day quarantine for travellers arriving from abroad from June 8, interior minister Priti Patel said, with the government warning that anyone breaking the rules would face a fine or prosecution.

All international arrivals, including returning Britons, will have to self-isolate and provide details of where they will be staying under the plans, which were criticised by airlines, business groups and politicians alike.

2 hours ago, checkered flag said:

I thought there was a quarantine in the UK for overseas arrivals. Incoming travelers outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands, and Isle of Man must quarantine for 14 days upon arrival at their designated address, OR the UK will house you at your expense at one of the designated places (must be hotels).

That starts on 8th June

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/22/uk-arrivals-8-june-quarantine-for-14-days-coronavirus.

Bit late in the day. It's no wonder that the UK figures are so bad.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Speak for yourself. Been with the same Thai woman for 22 years now and she is just as unselfish and loving as she was all those years ago.

Thai women are not for beginners and those that find themselves used as an ATM are beginners.....

I was not speaking for myself nor was I referring to you nor your Thai woman as I know neither one of you.

I was actually referring to elderly falangs in general and in particular the old chap who is the subject of this topic.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, randy723 said:

This story makes me and maybe others go back to our home country before we get too old to take care of our self. I love living here but this could happen to anyone.

Would a care home, or an OAPs bedsit in the UK be any better?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

Dont kid yourself by thinking its only "hookers" that steal and mistreat people. 

I am well aware of that, but the problem mostly exist around that group. However, don´t kid yourself that it´s as widespread as you think.

Still a very small percentage, and it exists in one way or another in all countries. That´s the facts and that was my point.

46 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Speak for yourself. Been with the same Thai woman for 22 years now and she is just as unselfish and loving as she was all those years ago.

Good for you, mine's a totally violent head case, who thinks only of herself ............... but looks great naked.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Thing is Billd some folk just love stirring the s++t, cannot just be happy that an old man has been helped, just want to try AND DRAG UP anything.

I think that they would be the same in any other country that they went to.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

why do all men /woman come to Thailand  silly question if u live here u will know the answer not put <deleted> like u do on the forum 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I was not speaking for myself nor was I referring to you nor your Thai woman as I know neither one of you.

I was actually referring to elderly falangs in general and in particular the old chap who is the subject of this topic.

As a general elderly farang of 76 I thank you for your (unwanted) concern. However I will trust my wife far more than an unknown poster on a website.

• Thanks 1