Home at last! "Starving and mistreated" British pensioner back in England "eating nonstop"

webfact

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Year you can, that law went away pretty quick.

Yeh, apparently so.

But in November 2018, this measure was finally lifted, with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation releasing a statement once again sanctioning foreign men of all ages to marry Cambodian women, providing they earn at least $2,500 a month (and are willing to jump through copious bureaucratic hoops). The minimum monthly wage is reportedly to ensure a decent standard of living for Cambodian brides and minimise the risk of labour trafficking.

https://southeastasiaglobe.com/love-conquers-all/

9 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Good on ya .

I wonder just how long his daughter will want him around !!

We still do not know all the details so please lets not all bash Thais as robbers, God knows we have enough in our own country.

Agreed. He may have not been the Adonis of great personality and fun complicated with a spinal injury and not able to speak Thai. Lucky he is alive. 

4 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

This old geezer came to grief because he was in with a bad lot of people.  If things became intolerable towards the end it was his fault and his family's for not getting him out of it without a charity appeal.

Those like him are jailbait for grifters everywhere, but especially in countries like Thailand where dirty dealing is a fine art.

That said, an adult lifetime spent among them has convinced me that Thais take care of their own, and thàt would include a farang who has lived with them for maný years as a husband and father.

Family means everything here. Your position in the family defines who you are.

Without one you are nobody.

Farang tao-nahn eng.

That sums it up pretty well.

He was still a stranger in a strange land after being here long enough to master the language and attain functional literacy. Along with those skills would have gone some discrimination in choosing whom to trust.

There is a bad element here "Dirtbag Thais" that all old-timers have had run-ins with at one time or another. They know a criminal underclass exists, and in a Thai sense, call a spade a spade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2020 at 4:54 PM, bangsaenguy said:

Who was it that was posting on TVF that Declan was running a scam?

Well done Declan

Still seems fishy to me. No police involved, Thai or UK. If it wasn't a scam and he was really held hostage, how did the "rescue" happen? Did they report the crime before he left? Who were these criminals holding him hostage, they need to be named and shamed at the very least. Or it could just be a couple of old gits thinking of a way to make a quick buck from donations gotten under false pretenses.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, colinneil said:

Stop with your pathetic insulting remarks, what i posted is 100% true.

Sad that you could even come up with that, you need to get a life.

Someone hit a raw nerve. Never say anything about Colin's wifey or his fellow Brits.

Edited by checkered flag
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Abmong said:

Still seems fishy to me. No police involved, Thai or UK. If it wasn't a scam and he was really held hostage, how did the "rescue" happen? Did they report the crime before he left? Who were these criminals holding him hostage, they need to be named and shamed at the very least. Or it could just be a couple of old gits thinking of a way to make a quick buck from donations gotten under false pretenses.

Making a false report to the police would get declan and gang in trouble with the law. Writing a story is OK without naming name. BTW does Ron have a last name? Could be hooked up with the declan.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, VillageIdiot said:

He was still a stranger in a strange land after being here long enough to master the language and attain functional literacy. Along with those skills would have gone some discrimination in choosing whom to trust.

On several occasions I've been in farang bars, where are the old boys huddle up in their corner, while their often much younger wives are off in theirs. Then one of the old boys goes, "You know, I've been here X years, still don't understand a bloody word of that nonsense. Yak yak yak. Haha!"

I've also heard it been said that in your relationship with a Thai lady, one of the biggest red flags is their lack of support, or even refusal, in you learning their language.

Do they offer some summaries in English of what's going on in Thai shows or news, when you watch together? Do they answer when you ask what's this or that mean? And most of all, whenever they get off the phone, do they explain what it was about? (Which if you've picked up some Thai, should be able to tell if they're truthful.)

I'm glad both my wife and her family have done this. She's been a good teacher, repeating things in English and Thai so I can pick it up. Once she knows I've picked something up, she then says it in Thai exclusively. Even her 70 year old dad points at things saying their names in Thai, then gives me a smile when I remember them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, natway09 said:

Good on ya .

I wonder just how long his daughter will want him around !!

We still do not know all the details so please lets not all bash Thais as robbers, God knows we have enough in our own country.

But few of us  in our own country would take in a confused disabled foreign old man, stick him in an upstairs room with a makeshift bed and feed him just enough to keep him alive in order to milk him of an income that gets deposited on a regular basis into his bank account.

Further more few of our own countries would allow it to happen and neither, how ever much we sometimes slag them off would our police.

16 hours ago, Caine said:

Because that slimey mob would probably have clean out the rest of his pension.

My friends and I have seen witnessed such antics after a couple of our chum's had died in Pattaya. They even helped themselves to cigarettes and the drink in the fridge.

On another occasion they even brought a locksmith with them. The old chap's body was still warm where it had landed minutes earlier on the concrete seven floors below.

You can't say anything because who knows what might happen to you. I did not believe what we had seen at first till reality sank in. It's just as well we can openly talk about it in Falangland.

I'm not saying such things don't happen elsewhere but this was done blatantly. Vile individuals.

Edited by yogi100

15 hours ago, Abmong said:

It's because the only Thai women they've ever known were bargirls or worked in similar related "establishments". They don't know those represent a very small % of Thai women.

I've been coming to the LOS (Bangkok and Pattaya) for 36 years and every single fellow I know who got into a relationship with a woman met her in a bar or a disco in BKK, Pattaya or Phuket. And all of them paid for that privilege.

I don't know a single falang who has met his girl anywhere else. It's even transpired that the ones who they've met through the internet and phone agencies work in bars!

It may well represent a very small % of Thai women but as far as I can see it certainly represents an overwhelming % of falang men.

It's acknowledged world wide that it's the Thai women that men travel thousands of miles to the LOS for. It's certainly not the food nor the beaches etc.

Edited by yogi100
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 2:39 AM, eeworldwide said:

What a sad and pathetic story. Goes to show that with age doesn't necessarily come wisdom.

Easy to say when you are not him...  You don't know all of the facts for this old guy that was abused.  I'm glad he is home with daughter and I hope he stays there.

I'm 63, and I am well aware that if I am not careful that could possibly be me someday...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yogi100 said:

But few of us  in our own country would take in a confused disabled foreign old man, stick him in an upstairs room with a makeshift bed and feed him just enough to keep him alive in order to milk him of an income that gets deposited on a regular basis into his bank account.

In the UK they're called care homes.

On 5/26/2020 at 10:10 AM, DaddyWarbucks said:

Maybe he is doing his quarantine in Brighton with his daughter... eating her out of house and home.

It's only 14 days, she's probably counting them one by one.

yes ... she will be able to manage his pension cheque for shopping.

21 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Robbing pensioners is a national sport in the ghettos of Englandshire.

And many other countries,not just thailand.

Having demebtia is a very major problem,if living alone.

7 minutes ago, murraynz said:

And many other countries,not just thailand.

Having demebtia is a very major problem,if living alone.

I don't think you and Mr M are quite on the same wavelength.

6 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Further more few of our own countries would allow it to happen and neither, how ever much we sometimes slag them off would our police.

It happens back home a lot more than anyone would like to admit...  Any time you have money changing hands along with a vulnerable population like oldsters and children, there will be abusers cashing in.

On an aside, let's revisit this in 6 months, after the novelty (and media attention) of having Dad back home wears off and real life starts happening.  I hope he's in a better situation, but we won't know for months.  If we ever know.  The media has a short attention span, and so do the masses.

2 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Life in Thailand isn't Pattaya. Most respectable Thai wont live or go anyway close. Foreigners there are viewed as sleazbags as well. You must run in the sleazebag crowd.

No need for insults.