Uk Pension

Even if you go on holiday to the UK for a week all you do is call DWP tell them you are back for a week and the following month you get the additional weeks increase . There are two types of pension those who qualified and took there pension before April 2016 get in the region of £134 per week those who qualified after April 6th 2016 now get in the region of £175 per week . As I said either email DWP before leaving Thailand giving them your arrival and departure date or call them when you get back on UK soil. And yes it will drop back to the original level when you return to Thailand.

Edited by crazykopite
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, andygrr said:

I don't see why you should be penalized for living overseas in retirement. If you payed your NI contributions you should be treated the same. At the end of the day they are already saving the gov money by living overseas. They are not claiming for other things such at winter payments. Then the big one they are not a burden on the NHS and care systems this alone must save the gov millions but they still penalize them. They say it is due to them not being subject to UK inflation and cost of living. Do they not realize inflation happens everywhere and the cost of living in some countries is higher than it is in the UK. pensioners are not asking for more just to be treated the same.

Been a long thread before on UK frozen pensions, a petition so it would be heard in Parliament, guess what happen.

The way I look at it is if I lived in UK I would need rises to pay for things I don't have to pay for here.  

39 minutes ago, andygrr said:

I don't see why you should be penalized for living overseas in retirement. If you payed your NI contributions you should be treated the same. At the end of the day they are already saving the gov money by living overseas. They are not claiming for other things such at winter payments. Then the big one they are not a burden on the NHS and care systems this alone must save the gov millions but they still penalize them. They say it is due to them not being subject to UK inflation and cost of living. Do they not realize inflation happens everywhere and the cost of living in some countries is higher than it is in the UK. pensioners are not asking for more just to be treated the same.

I believe also that there is a 50 percent surcharge for any use you might make of the NHS, never mind that you might have paid into the service for decades. If you don't have proof of an extended period in the UK (ie not just popped back home for treatment) then you have to pay up. I am ready to be corrected, and hope I am.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, andygrr said:

Why would you retire in a country where the cost of living is higher than in the UK? Especially on a c***y UK pension? That's not why people moves abroad when retiring. 

51 minutes ago, andygrr said:

I am relaxed at the prospect of no rises for me in relation to the State pension. Why?

If I were to reside in the UK then my presence and my spending would increase the  UK GDP.

Also I would be paying consumer taxes i.e. Vat and fuel tax.

The UK loses out because I decided to live in Thailand

In relation to the NHS.The rules are simple. You only need to reside in the UK to qualify to use the service.

I do not reside in the UK-simple.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Even if you go on holiday to the UK for a week all you do is call DWP tell them you are back for a week and the following month you get the additional weeks increase . There are two types of pension those who qualified and took there pension before April 2016 get in the region of £134 per week those who qualified after April 6th 2016 now get in the region of £175 per week . As I said either email DWP before leaving Thailand giving them your arrival and departure date or call them when you get back on UK soil. And yes it will drop back to the original level when you return to Thailand.

When you come back to Thailand, don't tell them and keep your pension at the rate that you are entitled to and what you have paid for all your working life.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Sorry but I think you are correct, and think also that we have Tony Blair to thank for this one.

No one can take any payments from your UK state pension, DWP must leave you enough to live on.

1 hour ago, Delight said:

I am relaxed at the prospect of no rises for me in relation to the State pension. Why?

If I were to reside in the UK then my presence and my spending would increase the  UK GDP.

Also I would be paying consumer taxes i.e. Vat and fuel tax.

The UK loses out because I decided to live in Thailand

In relation to the NHS.The rules are simple. You only need to reside in the UK to qualify to use the service.

I do not reside in the UK-simple.

I would agree with you, in principle, what is annoying are the exceptions, people in say the Philippines or USA DO get increases. They contribute nothing to UK GDP.

3 hours ago, andygrr said:

yes i agree we paid it in we should be able to spend it where and when..  

41 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

When you come back to Thailand, don't tell them and keep your pension at the rate that you are entitled to and what you have paid for all your working life.

i thought about not declaring that i had left the country  what would be  the worst that could happen 

Xpat pensioners should take out a class action suit against the DWP to get the pension as residents. It should be made illegal as it is discrimination. Does anyone know if your pension was lower if you lived in a European Country prior to Brexit? 

Move to one of these countries, if you are not happy with your pension not increasing. As far as the amount you get, you pay to play. In Germany, they contribute about 20 percent of their pay towards their pension. In the UK, you do not ????????????

Countries the UK has a social security agreement with

The UK has agreements with some other countries to protect the social security rights of workers moving between the 2 countries.

These are sometimes known as ‘bilateral agreements’ or ‘reciprocal agreements’.

If you live in one of the following countries and receive a UK State Pension, you will usually get an increase in your pension every year:

• Barbados
  • Bermuda
  • Bosnia-Herzegovina
  • Gibraltar
  • Guernsey
  • the Isle of Man
  • Israel
  • Jamaica
  • Jersey
  • Kosovo
  • Mauritius
  • Montenegro
  • North Macedonia
  • the Philippines
  • Serbia
  • Turkey
  • USA
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I left 5 years ago, my understanding then was: it is frozen BUT if you return and state you intend to be a permanent citizen your pension rises to current and stays there AND there is no surcharge on NHS treatment. Should you emigrate again  IF you do not declare you are emigrating and you are sussed they will completely stop your elevated state pension and attempt to recover from any UK account, tell them and you retain the improved pension. 

12 minutes ago, keithathome said:

I left 5 years ago, my understanding then was: it is frozen BUT if you return and state you intend to be a permanent citizen your pension rises to current and stays there AND there is no surcharge on NHS treatment. Should you emigrate again  IF you do not declare you are emigrating and you are sussed they will completely stop your elevated state pension and attempt to recover from any UK account, tell them and you retain the improved pension. 

I am sure that I have read somewhere that if you return and stay longer than 6 months then the increase is retained should you emigrate again.

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

No one can take any payments from your UK state pension, DWP must leave you enough to live on.

There was somebody a while ago portraying a letter stating they can,but not in the official jargon the DWP put out   personally I am not bothered one iota, Ive got it and he ain't, good enough for me,smallest pension in the western world ,made even smaller by your own admissions.  Christ,spilling your guts out,if the gestapo got hold of some of these admission monkeys in last war,tell them what you know and even more what you do not know.

Not bothered one jot,been here forever,if payback was possible,3 years max, not bad if you have been here 20 years or so

These official whatever you call them are not bothered,tell them,they act....up to you

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
19 minutes ago, treetops said:

The first part of your post is incorrect and a  fellow board member posted his letter showing this just a couple of weeks ago here:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1142813-uk-pensions-and-related-info-2020/page/6/?tab=comments#comment-15402508

This is absolutely the first I have heard of this DWP  input,goes right against anything that is published in DWP penalties. Not bothered  but I did notice it was one of seven pages,maybe upset somebody or other matters to contend with,  as the author states my other pensions which dwarf the state pension..Better in my pocket though than anybody else's

6 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

Xpat pensioners should take out a class action suit against the DWP to get the pension as residents. It should be made illegal as it is discrimination. Does anyone know if your pension was lower if you lived in a European Country prior to Brexit? 

A few years ago overseas pensioners (from Canada I think) took UK Government to court and the Government won.  They appealed to European Court of Justice and again the Government won.

It is outrageous.  The law says we are entitled to the annual increases, but every year the Government puts a statutory implement before parliament to stop us getting it.

Edited by CRUNCHER