How to Schedule Travel in 2020

Many of us long-term stayers like to return to our home countries in the summer and come back to Thailand late in the fall.  Given the various travel restrictions, will that be practical for this year or should we just resign ourselves to staying through until summer 2021?  My adopted home country is Japan but a friend, being bored with Bangkok, will return to Germany on June 6th.  He has no idea when he will be able to return to Bangkok and his Thai girlfriend is quite anxious about this.  Has anyone figured out how travel to and from Thailand will work out in the future?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks, Joe.  I interpret your comments to mean that it will be September or later until travel options become clear.  I hope to avoid the 14-day quarantine whichever direction I travel.  Right now Japan is mandating a quarantine at a "government specified" location.  That's not very appealing.  I hope to wait that out and travel after it is lifted.  

15 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

That's not very appealing.

And that might be your answer right there... for me, the idea of getting on a plane and being in close contact with the hordes, well, it might take a while until I feel comfortable and normal travel

and plane flights are not going to happen w/o customers... 

• Like 1

While I am not happy about the current situation - (being STUCK in Oz without the possibility to go anywhere ..... soon) .... I am also quite content to SIT & WAIT for several months until travel arrangements become a lot clearer (and safer).

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 8:21 PM, DogNo1 said:

Right now Japan is mandating a quarantine at a "government specified" location.  That's not very appealing.  I hope to wait that out and travel after it is lifted.  

That will probably happen very soon in Japan. Which is a bit irrelevant since 100 countries are banned from entering Japan currently, I think it might start opening up soon though, maybe in July.

19 hours ago, kenk24 said:

And that might be your answer right there... for me, the idea of getting on a plane and being in close contact with the hordes, well, it might take a while until I feel comfortable and normal travel

What hordes? Once flights return to semi-normal schedule most flights will be mostly empty. And that is assuming they won't specifically do things like empty seats between passengers etc. If anything that would be the best time to fly (in terms of avoiding hordes).

23 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

What hordes?

I have seen articles and photos of uncomfortably full flights... If 'every other' seating becomes the way of the future, you can bet people will be complaining about high airfares...

7 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I have seen articles and photos of uncomfortably full flights... If 'every other' seating becomes the way of the future, you can bet people will be complaining about high airfares...

Given that aviation has been decimated these past couple of months, I would be minded to enquire as to when the photos of uncomfortably full flights to which you refer were actually taken. I strongly suspect that high airfares, which could well prove the norm once aviation has picked up again, might well act as an effective deterrent to the "hordes" which you fear, in the short term at least!

Edited by OJAS

If business improves my Thai wife and I will return for stock to the UK in September.  However, the possibility of 14 day quarantine on arrival will add too much to our expenses. The chance that Thailand may enforce another ban on incoming passengers could mean I would be unable to return with her.

On the positive side Emirates have waived their change fees  ( normally £300 each) so I have booked for September.  Although any rules on travelling will have to be written in someone's blood for me to trust any government or indeed any airline.

when and if we see tourists coming back from spain in july all with covid infections that they caught in traveling will see cases go ballistic again .so wait and see the results of short trips before going for long flights

the 2nd wave is being waited for says tedros

Edited by 3NUMBAS

“The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration is currently discussing the option of letting foreigners enter the country in due course. We also plan to give priority to permanent residents and those with work permits to return as soon as the situation has eased,”

Sounds like July might be in the cards for opening up to some selected groups with gradual expansion to everyone else.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388623?utm_source=bottom_relate&utm_medium=internal_referral

"He said the option of allowing airlines to fly again will be considered in July."

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388600?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

australia just announced proposal 1 july allow travel between oz and nz and then 1/9 travel between oz and other "safe" countries. all depending on "safe" and future outbreaks. thailand/oz seems will be deemed "safe" atm, then of course question re prices and for oz the thai airways rehab/oz direct flights situation (other airlines have stopover flights) 

i'm thinking thailand trip dec - have to check my condo in pattaya which agent cannot find takers to rent or buy in current scenerio and even before (was warned never buy in thailand)     

2 minutes ago, Bvor said:

australia just announced proposal 1 july allow travel between oz and nz and then 1/9 travel between oz and other "safe" countries. all depending on "safe" and future outbreaks. thailand/oz seems will be deemed "safe" atm, then of course question re prices and for oz the thai airways rehab/oz direct flights situation (other airlines have stopover flights) 

i'm thinking thailand trip dec - have to check my condo in pattaya which agent cannot find takers to rent or buy in current scenerio and even before (was warned never buy in thailand)     

Link to the that July 1, doubt it?

Travelling internationally for the next 12 to 18 months is going to be unpredictable and fraught with issues, not least that there will be a second and even third round of  Covid 19 outbreaks that may push countries into closing borders without any notice.  Hunker down for  the next year seems to be a good tactic, plan nothing, and certainly pay nothing. in advance. 

5 hours ago, Olmate said:
5 hours ago, Bvor said:

Link to the that July 1, doubt it?

New Zealand (like Taiwan and possibly Vietnam) has already eliminated Covid-19 among the general population. Allowing free travel between Australia and New Zealand starting July 1st might be quite feasible as long as Australia can stamp out the small degree of community transmission that is still occurring in a couple of states (notably Victoria).

It is too early to say if Thailand might be regarded as a safe (virus eliminated) country in September. If official data is to be believed, there is some cause for optimism.

yes all quite uncertain.

the proposals were from some tourism committee meetings with gov't and would be subject to the status of "safe" countries at the decision making time and also any associated requirements eg health certificates, quarantine etc - its a not so easy balancing act between economy concerns and people health concerns