Ekkamai residents fight plan to build 43-storey ‘Impression’

snoop1130

Ekkamai residents fight plan to build 43-storey ‘Impression’

By THE NATION

800_dcac0bd9ffad8fb.jpeg

People living in Bangkok’s Ekkamai area gathered on Monday (May 25) to voice their opposition against plans to construct a 43-storey building called “Impression Ekkamai” on Sukhumvit Soi 61, and raised concerns about safety and traffic problems the project would create.

The gathering, led by Khunying Jada Wattanasiritham, was held at the Counting Sheep café in Sukhumvit Soi 61.

Khunying Jada said the construction of buildings taller than 23 metres or seven to eight storeys were banned in Sukhumvit 61, yet the 43-storey Impression Ekkamai had been granted permission. 

“This project causes me worry from several aspects, whether other houses in the area will continue getting sunlight, if the wind direction will change, whether the building will have a proper fire-extinguishing system and if its positioning will cause traffic jams in the future,” she said. 

Khunying Jada added that she and other residents had reported this issue to the government many times, and had been invited to speak to several officials tasked with studying environmental impact in the capital, yet their problem has not been solved.

“This problem is not of the Ekkamai community, but that of other communities in Bangkok,” she added. “We need justice and it can be delivered as Impression Ekkamai is still waiting for environmental impact assessment results.”

Resident Malina Pansatian said Sukhumvit 61 is a narrow alley with many small houses and if there is a fire in the skyscraper, then fire trucks will find it difficult to get to it. 

Complaint and Legal Assistance Centre’s chief, Naruemol Mekborisut said 64 communities across the city have filed appeals against the illegal construction of skyscrapers.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388471

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-25

• Like 2

I am not a big fan either of all these big condos projects in Central Bangkok (well, actually expanding to the East of Bangkok).

Nevertheless, they are a bit late... unfortunately. Construction has started.

Moreover there are already quite a few higher buildings than 23 storeys and Ekkamai 61 is not a narrow soi with 4 lanes.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Khunying Jada said the construction of buildings taller than 23 metres or seven to eight storeys were banned in Sukhumvit 61, yet the 43-storey Impression Ekkamai had been granted permission.

I wonder how that happened................Answers on a postcard please.................

• Haha 1

There are a handful of new condos going up on ekamai right now. Sukhumvit 61 is not a narrow road by any means. As much as I dislike all the new condos going up, they do have the right to build.

My guess is that this influential lady owns the house right across from the condo and does not want a huge condo overlooking her house.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A 43 story building serviced by such a narrow soi in an area already cursed by gridlocked traffic is pure idiocy.

Yes but the important thing is who the owners are and the size of their envelopes.

• Like 1

Why only the rich think that they deserve to stay in the overpriced homes in ekamai??? The middle classes should do a mob and ask all these house owners to vacate and build more cheaper condos for more people to stay in areas like ekamai and ruam rudee etc

If your concerned about traffic then Bangkok is probably not the best place for your to live.

I have a feeling its less to do with the reasons stated and more to do with their own property value.  More new supply means lower prices for their units/houses.  

Be interesting to see if these are the same people complaining about lack of housing 30 years from now like in many major cities in the USA (SF comes to mind).